PDA

View Full Version : Gorillas & ballerinas...pedal, pedal, pedal

William
08-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Gotta love this guy and I quote: "I've seen 200+ lb. riders pedal like a ballerina, and ballerinas pedal like 200 lb. riders [MRJ]."

Too Talls post in the "Wheelfine" thread got me to thinking. One thing I've often heard when talking with LBS folks about my wheel problems is a line that goes something like:

"Well if so & so (insert pro cyclist name) can ride them then they'll be fine for you".

First:
How do you know they are holding up well for so & so? Do you really know how often are they swapping out wheels?

Second:
Most pro cyclists have a very smooth pedal stroke (see TT's line above). I think wheels should be built for Joe Thrasher/John Q. Public who is generally heavier and rougher on equipment. And maybe they are, but it doesn't jibe with the "pro use" line.

Third:
I out weigh the average pro cyclist by 100-150 pounds. I can generate more raw power then the average pro. That doesn't mean I can coordinate it as well for longer periods or a faster pace then they can, but sheer power . Hey, strap two or three 50 pound plates on their back and see how well they do.

Fourth:
History with each wheel hasn't been all that great. Some lasting longer then others. So far the longest lasting wheel I've had built was a 36 Hole Campy Omega V's laced to DA hubs built by Dave's Wheel Designs. There still are a number of builders out there who I have yet to utilize so we'll see.

I may very well be talking out of my arse. It wouldn't be the first time. More or less just thinking out loud.

William