PDA

View Full Version : indoor cycles

rspecker
12-18-2011, 01:25 PM
thinking of getting one for wife (and me). purpose is to train for fitness/century-type riding.

i'd appreciate any opinions on:

cycle ops vs. lemond vs. keiser?

others?

Ideally $1500 or under.

don't need computer or powertap.

thanks!

AngryScientist
12-18-2011, 01:32 PM
is there a reason you would rather go with a dedicated indoor machine rather than just a stationary trainer for one of your road bikes? or maybe a pair of trainers so you and the wifey can pedal together inside?

rspecker
12-18-2011, 01:46 PM
two reason. maybe both bad.

always worried about thrashing my serotta by putting it in a trainer.

worried my wife (and me) won't use the trainer if we have to set it up each time.

but, if there is a great trainer out there then i would definitely consider. save me some $$$$ for sure.

AngryScientist
12-18-2011, 01:54 PM
well my experience is that none of the stationary bikes really mimic the feel of a road bike very well.

also putting a bike on a trainer is a matter of seconds with modern trainers, just put the bike in place and close the quick release handle on the trainer, good to go.

both the cyclops fluid trainer and the kurt kenetic are very, very good for trainers.

dont forget, even if you get a stationary bike, you're going to have to switch the set-up around every time you or your wife uses it due to your varying heights/reach - that might be more of a pain in the rear then putting your respective bikes on the trainer, very quick process.

with a cheap steel skewer in the rear (which comes with the trainer), i've never heard of any damage done to a road bike on a trainer. i've got plenty of hours on my bike on the trainer, no problems. good luck!

dekindy
12-18-2011, 03:46 PM
A stationery trainer bike would be the most convenient since they have quick release adjustments for saddle and handlebar adjustments. If you are not riding outside in the Winter and do not intend to ride indoors during the Summer when it rains then this is ideal.

I chose to purchase a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer. However here are the issues that I ran into.

I ride outside during the Winter as long as weather conditions permit. Trainers are hard on expensive road tires so you either need to switch tires or have a spare wheel with an old tire or trainer tire on it.

Since I had a cracked frame and cracked a hub that put my main bike out of commission for a total of five weeks in one Summer, I purchased an older bike to be used as a dedicated trainer bike in the Winter and Summer but can be converted for use on the road as a backup bike by installing a tire or just switching wheels from my primary bike if I am in a hurry.

So for the price of a good indoor only trainer bike, you can have a decent backup bike and a good trainer. It just depends on what your situation is. I also have in the back of my mind that I may eventually want to purchase a Computrainer.

Some good friends just purchased a Cyclops indoor trainer so I can get feedback from that couple. I will post another reply when I do.

rphetteplace
12-18-2011, 04:42 PM
But 2 Kurt Kinetics and set them up in front of the TV. Download all the sufferfest videos and you'll still have a good chunk left over from $1500. I wouldn't worry at all about using a Serotta on a trainer especially if it were steel or ti.

crownjewelwl
12-18-2011, 06:49 PM
But 2 Kurt Kinetics and set them up in front of the TV. Download all the sufferfest videos and you'll still have a good chunk left over from $1500. I wouldn't worry at all about using a Serotta on a trainer especially if it were steel or ti.

just wipe off your sweat when you're done!

foo_fighter
12-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Any one try one of those pro-form tour de france trainers that you can upload google maps to and can simulate +/- 20% grades?

http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_14201_16002_69502_177903

fogrider
12-18-2011, 10:19 PM
it just doesn't feel right. I always kind of walk funny for a few minutes after. i like the kurt kinetics with a backup bike. but if the only down side is wear on your tire, big deal. or put a cheap tire on and ride it on road in the winter if the weather is good. additionally, I think the indoor trainer would be tough to sell when you don't want it.

sw3759
12-19-2011, 04:12 AM
"Any one try one of those pro-form tour de france trainers that you can upload google maps to and can simulate +/- 20% grades?"

i saw those advertised during the tour and wondered why in world would you want decline on a trainer?? especially 20%

is that why he needed the helmet??

pretty funny

deechee
12-19-2011, 08:52 AM
I've ridden the cycleops a few times at the gym and its ok. I rode it on a crappy saddle and spds, so take what you want but I wasn't all that impressed.

The build quality of the cycleops is a bit lacking. The freewheel construction looks really bad, and the resistance (brakes) is not very gradual (fyi I rode this when it was brand new). There is no bottle holder; yes there is one on the down tube but its at such a lousy angle its good at collecting sweat, not bottles (one). Yes, I was able to hit my target power zones but it felt a lot harder than at home on the trainer which is odd since I'm surrounded by gym people and music. Oh yeah, and moving this thing is retarded, the wheels are on the WRONG side. Unlike a spin bike where you tilt the bike towards the handlebars, you're supposed to grab it by the seat and try to roll it around. Its really awkward in a gym with lots of space, I can only imagine inside a tiny room.

The Keiser I've ridden at another gym, but I have no idea how abused it was before I tried it. I wasn't impressed at all, especially with adjustments for position and I think the handlebars don't go very low. Wattage figures seemed optimistic, but I really have no idea what that bike has been through. As a home bike it seems more compact than the Cycleops.

So if I were doing it just to replace a trainer/rollers+bike, I would get a gym quality Schwinn spin bike. Much better designed, proven reliability and you can do a lot with it. It probably also holds its resale value the best.

thenewguy11
12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Nobody has mentioned the Inside Ride rollers, which I think provide the best ride feel indoors and allow you to get out of the saddle and move around. They're expensive but worth the cost, and you don't have to change anything about your bike. And there would be no setup changes needed between bikes unless the wheelbases are significantly different.

If you've never ridden rollers, these are significantly easier to use because of the floating frame as well.

BobC
12-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Dependent on how much you plan to ride indoors you might wish to think about the Lemond.

I have one and ridden it extensively for 13 years (when my oldest was born I bought one & since then ride it for 50%-75% of my weekly mileage). I have it set up with a fan & TV. Never had to replace a thing on it (including the saddle). Extremely durable. Before that I used a Cateye "psychosimulator" trainer which while simulated the road quite well, also went through tires & tubes like a fiend. Also cracked an Alu frame's chainstay on it. And it was LOUD.

Here are my perceived downsides to a trainer (vs a spinbike):
1. You will go through tubes and flatten the crap out of tires. So, either you swap tires out or a wheel out to go ride outside.
2. You have to setup & take down when you wish to ride.
3. You have to have a different skewer.
4. It will put miles/wear on your chain/cogs/saddle. No matter how you swing it, it accelerates replacing stuff on your bike.
5. On some trainers -- noise. This has gotten much better, but the Lemond is absolutely deathly quiet.

I would recommend you take a look at the Lemond.

- BobC

fungusamungus33
12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
My shop sells the Lemond and I have been impressed. As the previous post stated it is crazy quiet and very smooth. I hate every trainer I have ever tried (personal and multiple shop experience)...

My $.02

Good luck!

CCB