PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about doing a tour - for a cause v. question about training

bloody sunday
12-18-2011, 01:26 AM
The group is Ride:Well and the tour is the PNW one:
http://www.ridewelltour.org/page/r-wt-pacific-northwest?xg_source=facebookshare

I'm wondering what kind of training should i be doing for a ride like this.

Also, suggestions for wheelsets or maybe even a new bike (can't afford a serotta)

I ride a 2011 Felt Z58 with Aksium clinchers.

thanks, all.

edit: if I posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies, please move it as necessary. Thanks!

Bruce K
12-18-2011, 05:31 AM
The cycling part of this event and the question you have asked is certainly appropriate here.

For a challenge level noted as intermediate this looks to be a bit more challenging than that. 3 days of about 75 miles plus a century in the middle.

A local charity ride that does 182 miles in two days suggests 10 - 12 weeks minimum for training ramping mileage and hours to a point where you can comfortably do back to back 5 hour +/- 80 mile rides about 2 weeks before the event.

Getting involved with a coach or a group that trains for / rides events like this might be helpful for motivation.

BK

bloody sunday
12-18-2011, 01:57 PM
The cycling part of this event and the question you have asked is certainly appropriate here.

For a challenge level noted as intermediate this looks to be a bit more challenging than that. 3 days of about 75 miles plus a century in the middle.

A local charity ride that does 182 miles in two days suggests 10 - 12 weeks minimum for training ramping mileage and hours to a point where you can comfortably do back to back 5 hour +/- 80 mile rides about 2 weeks before the event.

Getting involved with a coach or a group that trains for / rides events like this might be helpful for motivation.

BK
Thanks a lot for this info. I'm pretty sure, I will be doing this with a "team" of sorts, and there will be training rides available, but riders will be coming from around the country, so i don't know how they would organize this. I guess I will find out more information when I sign up for it.

As far as fitness, I think that i'm okay.

I've done two centuries recently, and most of my training rides are 40-50 miles each (done 5x a week)

sg8357
12-18-2011, 02:41 PM
A CTC rider rode LEJOG for charity on a Raleigh Chopper towing a trailer
with his kit. Might as well have some fun with the ride and is a more
interesting story to tell your sponsors.

bloody sunday
12-18-2011, 03:44 PM
A CTC rider rode LEJOG for charity on a Raleigh Chopper towing a trailer
with his kit. Might as well have some fun with the ride and is a more
interesting story to tell your sponsors.
fortunately, there will be a support car following us. got it easy :)

jlwdm
12-18-2011, 05:09 PM
You had better be careful when you go through Forks - vampires and werewolves! Stay near the front of the group.

Jeff