PDA

View Full Version : 10-speed chain alternatives for Shimano

keno
08-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Can't say that I am crazy about the DA 10-speed chain on my Ottrott with full DA drive components. It shifts so so, is noisy, hard to index well. SRAM would be my first choice, as their 9-speed chain on my Ultegra set up on the Specturm is terrific. Only problem is, as best I know, they don't make a 10-speed for DA, or anything else.

Wipperman makes a 10-speed chain, but my past experience with their 9-speed product was only fair, in my opinion, and the SRAM replaced it.

Are there any good alternatives for me to consider?

keno

Sandy
08-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Perhaps the problem is not the Dura-Ace 10 chain at all. I think that most people using the Dura-Ace 10 set up really enjoy the shifting. Could there bea problem with the derailleur set up, cassette, length of chain, your very old ears, eye hand coordination, physical dexterity,....... :rolleyes:

Power to the old people,

Senile Sandy

PS- I tried to send you and Too Tall an email last night, but I made an error in sending it. i will try again soon.

keno
08-05-2005, 06:51 AM
I didn't get your email last night. I did get a message saying that someone tried to send Too Tall and me an email last night but made an error.

BTW, the chain sucks as far as I am concerned. I can only envy those lucky most people of which I am not one.

Love,

keno

dirtdigger88
08-05-2005, 07:23 AM
keno- I can tell you DA drive trains don not shift like you describe- so dont despair- we can figure this one out- I used a Wipperman chain since day one with DA10- I did replace the chain in the spring- but I do every spring- I have heard nocks against DA10 chains before-

1 vote for wipperman- and the link makes it sooo nice to clean yer chain

Jason

bostondrunk
08-05-2005, 07:34 AM
I use wipperman nickel 10 on mine, works fine, easy to remove for cleaning.

keno
08-05-2005, 07:49 AM
I appreciate the suggestion on the Wipperman. As they say in the movies "It just might work." As I mentioned in my note, the W chain did not work well for me on the 9-speed Ultegra setup, in fact, it blew apart on a ride when I was 10 miles from the barn. I did carry a spare link thereafter, but changed to the SRAM at Too Tall's suggestion eventually and lived happily ever after, so far. The SRAM has the same magic link for easy on/off that W has.

It is kind of interesting that SRAM has not entered this market. I can only guess that the different chain width requires investment in equipment or space or whatever that makes the business model less than compelling. Just for curiousity purposes, I wonder if just the pin length changes or the gague of the link side is thinner, or both?

keno

Dave
08-05-2005, 08:47 AM
There is no reason the DA chain should not work perfectly. My experience with wipperman is that they are noisy, but the connex link work perfectly, IF it's installed correctly. This link can be installed backwards, which may have been the reason your chain came apart.

SRAM chains are all too wide for shimano 10.

FWIW, Campy will soon be making a new 2006 10 speed chain that has the same width as shimano (5.9mm). This may be a good alternative, but it won't be available for awhile.

The current campy 10 chain has been used by some with success, but it's a bit wider than it should be for the narrower shimano cog spacing.

bostondrunk
08-05-2005, 08:56 AM
There is no reason the DA chain should not work perfectly. My experience with wipperman is that they are noisy, but the connex link work perfectly, IF it's installed correctly. This link can be installed backwards, which may have been the reason your chain came apart.

SRAM chains are all too wide for shimano 10.

FWIW, Campy will soon be making a new 2006 10 speed chain that has the same width as shimano (5.9mm). This may be a good alternative, but it won't be available for awhile.

The current campy 10 chain has been used by some with success, but it's a bit wider than it should be for the narrower shimano cog spacing.

How can the link be installed backwards?? Both pieces look identical to me? :confused:

vandeda
08-05-2005, 09:02 AM
How can the link be installed backwards?? Both pieces look identical to me? :confused:

Geez bd, isn't it obvious? You install the link so that the pins are sticking outwards, it's not wonder the chain blew apart then. GOSH! :banana:

Dan

keno
08-05-2005, 09:11 AM
in my view "should" is one of the most dangerous words in the English language particularly when "doesn't" applies. Doubtlessly, there are differences between multiple chains coming off the production line. I'd bet that the ones that went to the pros during the TdF underwent an inspection that yours and mine did not. Discovery Channel spent $250,000 on a new TT bike for Lance that should have worked better than the two rides he took on it and declared it to be crap. If something does not work right, despite that it should, it does not work right. Not to mention that if Shimano chains always worked correctly SRAM and Wipperman, in particular, would have a much more limited audience.

keno

Dave
08-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Gee Keno, I see that you appreciate the advice. If you contention is correct then just buying another DA chain may fix the problem, assuming you got a defective one. You could also try the cheaper ultegra 10 chain.

There are many other reasons that shifting could be poor, including a cable friction problem, RD misalignment, a malfunctioning shifter or simple cable tension adjustment that is incorrect.

I've read reports of poor chain life with the DA chain, but never one that claimed it was the cause of poor shifting. Most users claim the shifting is wonderful beyond belief.

As for the poster who doesn't think the connex link can be installed backwards, the answer to that is simple. When the link is on the lower section of chain, the slotted end should be pointing toward the back of the bike and the end with the pin should be toward the front, as you look at if from the right side of the bike. It can be installed in the opposite direction.

Too Tall
08-05-2005, 12:36 PM
The pic below is the wrong incorrect orientation (cobbed from Velo Snooze):

bostondrunk
08-05-2005, 01:04 PM
The pic below is the wrong incorrect orientation (cobbed from Velo Snooze):

Cool, thanks.

And Keno, I'd be willing to bet the DA chains used by pros do not get inspected differently, rather the team mechanics know how to properly tune up a bike. You should take it into a shop with a good mechanic, I'd be willing to bet they can get your shifting working perfectly. :beer:

Serotta PETE
08-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Keno, I have used the 10speed DA chain for over a year (on two bikes) and it actually shifts better than my CAMPY. (I Like Campy better but the DA shifts better - - Yes I am a little touched in the head).

Invite SPOKES up and he will have your bike purring. He works magic with mine, even thru all the dirt.

Have no experience with Wipperman...and only "bad" I have with DA chain is that Bill replaces it every 1800 miles

Proxy
08-05-2005, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE= Not to mention that if Shimano chains always worked correctly SRAM and Wipperman, in particular, would have a much more limited audience.
keno[/QUOTE]

cars, m/c, bikes its human nature - the stock chains are fine, use something oil based w/ no mineral spirits to thin vs wax and aside from how dirty it gets it should be smooth as glass, except if its defective as you note

Random
08-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Fellas,

I realize that most things in cycling are largely subjective, and that everyone's setup is somewhat unique. So results may differ. But I just had the opportunity to A-B test SRAM and Shimano chains not once, but twice, and my results were clear. I have a Legend with DA 9. It now has over 50K miles of solid riding. I long ago switched from Shimano to SRAM 89R chains. I found they shifted more crisply without over or under shifts on the rings. I particularly liked the quick link.

Recently I had the opportunity to try an new Ultegra 10 chain. I had just put on a new SRAM and had ridden it for a few hundred miles. No problems. But the Ultegra 10 chain was superb. It shifted far more crisply and accurately, was much quieter and gave me one extra gear too boot (small ring to second smallest cog) without scrapping the big ring.

Then I decided to try an FSA Compact Crank. In doing so I went back to the SRAM because of the quick link. I wanted to get the sizing right before locking in the Ultegra. Anyway, it all worked fine, a little sloppy on the 4th cog, but fine. A few hundred miles later I once again put the Ultegra 10 chain on and the improvement was clear. Crisp, accurate, quiet, and an extra gear. Terrific. I sold off my excess inventory of SRAM and will stick with Ultegra barring durability problems. Wish it had a quick link though :)

ClutchCargo
08-08-2005, 02:11 PM
. . . Wish it had a quick link though :)
install a Connex link used with Wipperman's 10 speed chain. (I've done it with a 9 speed DA chain; worked fine)

cheers, mate!

fjaws
08-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Mavic have a 10 spd chain with easy-off link that works well........available at excelsports.com

Tom Kellogg
08-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Next time you are coming out to the Velo, give us a buzz and we will take a look at your frustration. We may spot something that others have missed. Worth the aggravation of having to put up with us. (maybe)