PDA

View Full Version : 7901 Chain compatibility

foo_fighter
12-17-2011, 05:44 PM
I know it's not supposed to be used on triples and it's supposed to be backwards compatible with all 2x10 Shimano systems but will it work with SRAM chainrings/cassettes? How about with a KMC quick link?

Just wondering if the asymmetric nature of the chain makes it noisier or sub optimal with cassettes/rings that were not designed for it.

I'm currently running a KMC x10sl with a Force crank and Shimano cassette and a SRAM cassette and it works great. I got a 7901 chain as a package deal with a cassette I purchased and wonder if I should keep it or sell it.

Thanks

oldpotatoe
12-17-2011, 06:01 PM
I know it's not supposed to be used on triples and it's supposed to be backwards compatible with all 2x10 Shimano systems but will it work with SRAM chainrings/cassettes? How about with a KMC quick link?

Just wondering if the asymmetric nature of the chain makes it noisier or sub optimal with cassettes/rings that were not designed for it.

I'm currently running a KMC x10sl with a Force crank and Shimano cassette and a SRAM cassette and it works great. I got a 7901 chain as a package deal with a cassette I purchased and wonder if I should keep it or sell it.

Thanks

No problem using a 7901 on a triple. It is just a directional 10s chain, and is an expensive 10s chain that can be used on any 10s system.

AngryScientist
12-17-2011, 06:10 PM
yea, agree with everything OP said.

add to that: use ANY 10-sp chain with ANY other 10-sp system. i like veloce chains a lot, they wear well and are inexpensive.

foo_fighter
12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Great. It's probably one of those Shimanoism, like the 7800 RD only officially supporting a 27T cassette, but usually works fine with a 28T.

As for the chain, I suspect that it's not as "optimal" under all conditions, for example cross chaining a triple(not that I ever do that) might be noisier, but is probably fine in 98% of the situations.

Dave
12-18-2011, 09:24 AM
One test for compatibility of a master link with a different brand of chain is side clearance. Side clearance should be in the .004-.008 inch range.

Last time that I measure 10 speed chains, KMC, Shimano and Wipperman were all about .004 wider across the inner plates, than Campy and SRAM and master links made for those chains will be wider across the inside.