PDA

View Full Version : Mavic "K" , a Clydesdales first ride impressions:

William
08-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Picking up from the "NOS Mavic Cosmics Cracking thread"

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10095

This is the first ride report on a Mavic "K" from a 260 LBS rider with a history of destroying rear wheels....Or more appropriatly, a history with rear wheels that can't hold up.

First let me say that this wheel is definitely stiffer then the Cosmic. Running on a course that I do frequently, it is immediately apparent that this wheel is less forgiving. There are some rough sections on this route and I know how to snake through them to take some of the edge off. Running the same tubes & tires at the same psi that I always use made for a discernibly rougher run. The Cosmics seem to absorb more of the road shock where the "K" seems to transmit more to the rider.

Spin up:
Compared to the Cosmics the "K" requires more energy to spin up to speed. That is to say that I can feel a difference between the two. The "K" reminds me of the Old School Aerospoke wheel in the sense that due to the stout build it requires slightly more energy to be expended to spin them up to speed. Once there, maintaining momentum seems easier. Now, before one of our beloved forum engineering types pipe up about how a little difference between X & Y speeds multiplied by repeated accelerations makes little to no difference in the grand ;) ..........My point is I can feel a difference. The "K" is heavier and I can feel it.

Climbing:
There aren't any big climbs on this particular loop. A number of smaller climbs and a lot of rolling terrain. Refer to "Spin Up". I didn't feel like I would get dropped compared to running the Cosmics over this loop, but I did feel like I was expending a little more to keep on top of the gear.

Sprinting:
I haven't done sprint intervals on it yet, but a few out of the saddle wind-ups tells me that this wheel isn't getting flexed as much. No sounds are emanating from the rim like spokes are going to start launching themselves like their being shot out of a blow gun so that's a good thing so far. :D

Descending:
Again, there aren't any big descents on this loop. There is a section where I can drop the gear and hammer it to about 50 mph through a snakey section of road. To me the Cosmic always felt a little wobbly when hammering hard on a decent. The "K" felt solid all the way through (Like riding on a rail.....heh, heh, heh...but I digress). The same build quality that enables the Cosmic to absorb more of the road shock is likely the same quality that makes it feel snakey/wobbly when hammering hard on the descents. The only problem with the "K" was that the wheel spontaneously burst in flames at the bottom of the hill. :rolleyes:

So far it's still true. The above is just my interpretation, feelings, adjectives, and adverbs about the first ride on a Mavic K. The real test is going to be on how it holds up over the long haul. That will depend solely on Mavic customer service and turn around times so there may or may not be a follow up.

Coming soon to a theater near you:

A Clydesdales Report on DA wheels: Velo Godzilla No?

Brought to you by the good folk at Climb1742 Productions.

William

Too Tall
08-05-2005, 06:33 AM
Tandem teams have been know to use these for racing. Good choice. 260!!! OMG, I need to beef up.

Tmogul
08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey Big Will,

Which "K's" are you using? The sl2's or steel spoked elites? Also I'm assuming you're comparing them to the cosmic elite's (aluminum rim)?
http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod_fiche?product.id=166&lg=uk

If we're talking sl2's vs cosmic elites...it seems odd that the lighter wheel feels harder to spin up.

I'm curious what you'll think of the dura ace wheels as well.....the wh-7800 right? I read somewhere the rider weight limit was 90kg or about 200lbs. However guys heavier than that seem to do fine with it. Hmm Anyways thanks for the review and keep em coming....nice to hear what the big guys think.
:)

Too Tall
08-05-2005, 01:57 PM
TMogul, a local shop owner lent me a set of DA wheels for two weeks. I weigh 195 and am tall...lots of leverage similar to BigWilly however BigW has watts like I DREAM OF...he'd crush the DA wheels. I loved the ride quality because they were quite flexible and pretty invisible to the wind. Really really doubt they'd last for me however...too much flex. For a lighter rider I think they'd be GREAT.

Climb01742
08-05-2005, 01:59 PM
interesting, 'cause i am a lighter rider, and the previous owner of the DA10 wheels william will soon be riding, and i found them to be too stiff for me. man, i must be even wimpier than i thought! :beer:

maccpres
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
since the K' are lighter and less aero I would have expected your "spin up" to feel the opposite. I guess that's why we have to ride them.

William
08-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I should clarify, I'm talking NOS original Cosmics. I don't know what they weigh but they "feel" lighter on the bike to me then the "K" SL's (at about 1010 grams sans cassette).

William

Tmogul
08-05-2005, 04:57 PM
I originally was going to go for a pair of DA 7800s because some of the bigger guys on this forum seemed to like them. I only tried them in a parking lot without my road shoes/pedals so that meant nothing since I couldn't really torque them or corner at speed.

I personally like the look of silver wheels on a brushed ti frame. So right now I'm looking at sl2's, silver fulcrum r1's, and also the 06 eurus (in silver of course :) ) all three which are very similar and known to be stout/stiff for bigger stronger dudes. But don't know the price of the new eurus and r1's are too much vs ksyriums. I still have time to wait for more reviews of r1's and eurus 06 and decide then.

What do you guys think of G3 pattern? Hard to true? Prone to hops?
Pic of 06 eurus....seems to have all the right big guy stuff....offset rear spokes with 30mm rim.
http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/8641.0.html

p.s. TTall..if I remember right I remember seeing you post some very high watt numbers at threshold.

chrisroph
08-05-2005, 07:46 PM
TT-Sounds as if you like them and find them rigid enough for your considerable strength and mass. We have one guy on our team who goes 265 and rides Ks as his race wheels. We have another guy--el caballo--over 200 with very low fat and amazing speed and power who likes his Ks as well.