PDA

View Full Version : What's your stretching routine?

Louis
08-04-2005, 11:06 PM
We haven’t discussed this recently, so here goes:

What’s your pre and/or post ride stretching routine?
What about on non-riding days, do you also stretch then? Same stuff?

A while back I went so far as to buy a book on stretching, but there are so many to choose from, it’s difficult to know what’s most useful. Some folks put lots of time into it, but for after work rides when I don’t have much time I tend to rush things and spend maybe 4-5 minutes tops, which is probably not enough. I do my hamstrings, quad and calf muscles and that’s about it. (I do try to hold for at least 30 seconds.)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Louis

andy mac
08-05-2005, 12:03 AM
try this cycling specific routine from the physio for the australian olympic team.

a free download at:

http://www.topbike.com.au/physio.htm

cheers,

andy.

Russ
08-05-2005, 12:28 AM
I strecth a lot more when I run than when I ride. Before a run, I do about 10-12 minutes of stretching which includes quads, hamstrings, lower back, anckles, calves, etc. The post workout ritual is about the same, but includes about 10 min. of lower back stretching. I really could not do without stretching before and after running. I think this has kept me injury free for years!

Now when I ride, I really don't do as much... But I should. For cycling I do quads and lower back before and lower back after.... Only if I feel a bit thight, I would do quads or calves.

I rarely get lower back pain now that I religiously do lower back stretching after any activity. IMO, you don't need to to an entire set as the books suggest. Just try a couple that you like and that you feel are helping you and stick with those. Alternate to break the routine....

BTW, A good warm-up/cool down strategy is very important as well.

RichMc
08-05-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't stretch. I warm up slowly. I have read recently that it has been found that there is little, if any, benefit from stretching. In fact, if you are "cold" you may be doing more harm than good. Better to go easy at first and harder once you are warmed up. But, to each his own.

bironi
08-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Placing the bike on my car rack, and taking it off, when I am not riding from my front door - then it is pulling the bike down from a bike hook in my shop.

Climb01742
08-05-2005, 03:44 AM
certainly are many theories about stretching. mark allen, best triathlete in the world once upon a time, strongly advocated that stretching had no benefits. personally my experience has been the opposite. i'm dedicated to it. i do no pre-ride/run stretching. but i do ease into each ride/run. let muscle get warm by riding slowly at first. then i do a pretty extensive post ride stretching routine. a great book (has been for me anyway, though it's a bit odd) is "relax into stretch" by pavel tsatsouline. (available on amazon.) a russian dude. goes beyond the anderson book. but maybe a good place to experiment with what your body likes/doesn't like is to take a yoga class. many stretches are based on yoga positions. i've found yoga to be really helpful and a source of learning new stretches. plus, most yoga classes are 9-to-1 women-to-men. what's not to like about being surrounded by lots of lean, fit women? :D

Louis
08-05-2005, 10:21 AM
For cycling I do quads and lower back before and lower back after....

Russ,

What do you do for your lower back?

Thanks
Louis

Fixed
08-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Anyone have trouble with hamstrings up high near the butt? what's good for that?Cheers

znfdl
08-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I started to do Hatha Yoga with concentration on the Sun Salutation which is a series of 12 poses and the pidgeon pose. My lower back and hip pain are gone. Also it is good for watching flexible women.

champlemon
08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Stretching? Isn't riding enough? Now I have to stretch too? :rolleyes:

Russ
08-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Russ, What do you do for your lower back?

Louis,

I have a Medieval Torture Chamber in my basement... I can do all kinds of things to my body.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

You can do a search on the web for lower back stretches, most are pretty good. But, to answer your question: I lay on the floor with a towel under me and grab my lower leg, so that my knee is pressed against my body. I leave the opposite leg straight down. I do this a few times for about 10 min, until I feel that my lower back is giving a little. IMO, it is better to have someone help you do this stretch. The other person can push your leg better.

Cheers!

jerk
08-05-2005, 10:39 PM
sounds weird but the jerk was taught when he was coming up (and it wasn't that long ago) that short of climbing stairs, stretching was the worst thing you could do for your muscles as a cyclist....then again the same people told the jerk to water his shoes and piss on his feet in the shower so there.

jerk
(at least they didn't tell him to put cabbage under his cycling cap)

chrisroph
08-06-2005, 12:29 AM
My early coaches said never swim, it gives you mushy muscles.

Climb01742
08-06-2005, 06:16 AM
the same people told the jerk to... piss on his feet in the shower

what on earth was this supposed to do?

cs124
08-06-2005, 06:23 AM
what on earth was this supposed to do?

old wives tale ... supposed to prevent tinea or some other such fungal growth.

Climb01742
08-06-2005, 06:31 AM
old wives tale ... supposed to prevent tinea or some other such fungal growth.

yuck!

jerk
08-06-2005, 08:36 AM
it's a french/belgian thing to prevent/cure athlete's foot.
yes, it works.
jerk©™®

shoe
08-07-2005, 08:36 AM
it's funny because sometimes when my girlfriend is in the shower i try to help her with her athletes foot and then she usually hits me.

Tom
08-07-2005, 09:59 AM
was not to pee on your legs or feet. See what I learn around here? So much knowledge...

But seriously, I do stretch some because I hammered my back and hips pretty good by being a stupid runner for many years. My left IT band will not move though my left hip is pretty flexible, my right hip is tight as hell and rotates when I ride so I get real nice abrasions in sensitive places unless I stretch it though oddly enough that IT band is as slack as can be. So I do quad stretches, hamstrings, lower back and calves also roll over backwards to stretch my spine and shoulders. Nothing gets pulled past where the muscles ease out except the left IT band and the right hip, those I'm trying to get some more flexibility in so I sit on an easy stretch for a couple of minutes at a time or until I feel the release. Never do I stretch to discomfort, it took me many years to learn that you build up tension over time so it takes time to release it.