PDA

View Full Version : Lees-McRae Cyclist Down.

fjaws
12-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Very sad news... be safe out there.

http://enews.lmc.edu/?p=1161

William
12-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Very sad. The posts from family and friends is very moving.

William

mike p
12-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Extremely sad. Anyone know what happened, not that it matters at this point.

Mike

BumbleBeeDave
12-16-2011, 08:46 AM
from: http://www.goblueridge.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14148:lees-mcrae-cyclist-killed-in-head-on-crash-with-asu-student&catid=1

BBD

------------------------------

Lees-McRae Cyclist Killed in Head-on Crash with ASU Student PDF Print
Written by Steve Frank
Thursday, 15 December 2011 10:21 PM

A Lees-McRae cyclist was killed in a head-on collision with an ASU student heading home for the holidays. The 2:25pm collision occurred on US 221 south of Camp Creek Road in Avery County when the 98 ford Ranger of Mitchell James Epley, 19, of Marion, went left of center traveling south and struck the bicycle that Glynne Megan Baab—also 19— was riding. Baab, from Euless, Texas, was rushed from the scene by an entourage of Avery fire, first responders and medics to a landing zone where she was airlifted to the Johnson City Medical Center by WINGS Air Rescue, but she was pronounced dead soon after arrival at the medical center. A posting by Lees-McRae President Barry Buxton said that the freshman cyclist was on a training ride at the time of the accident. Trooper Allen Greer cited Mitchell Epley with misdemeanor death by vehicle in Baab’s death, reporting that Epley said he fell asleep at the wheel after completing his exams at ASU.

nm87710
12-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Sad

thwart
12-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Tragic all the way around. The driver will have to live with that the rest of his life.

Sleep-deprived driving kills many more people than you would think.

William
12-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Tragic all the way around. The driver will have to live with that the rest of his life.

Finals week at any University ends with a large contingent of sleep deprived people looking to get out of town and hit the road ASAP to get home for the Holidays.

Very sad for all parties involved.

William

Fixed
12-16-2011, 09:34 AM

+1 sad indeed
imho

benitosan1972
12-16-2011, 09:34 AM
If you're too tired to drive, THEN DON'T DRIVE.

Very sad, Christmas is more than a week away, what's the hurry? Take a nap.

redir
12-16-2011, 09:54 AM
When you think of the statistical likelihood of this happening... I mean if he had fallen asleep 2 seconds earlier. :(

Just awful!

rwsaunders
12-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Tough stuff to read.

konstantkarma
12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Tragic, unfair, sad. RIP Megan.

DG24
12-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Very, very sad. My heart goes out to everyone involved. We are all cyclists and feel the pain that Megan's family must be going though. And at the same time, I suspect that at one time or another we have all felt fatigue behind the wheel of our vehicles. This is a tragedy that hits home; that we could, on one day, find ourselves on either side of. My daughter is 20 and a good kid. This evening she will be driving home from her last final. It would be devasting learn that she has caused, and would have to endure, the horror felt by those touched by this accident. My thoughts are with Megan's family and friends. She seemed like a wonderful human being and will be missed. Dave

gavingould
12-16-2011, 01:52 PM
very very sad for all involved.

having done some overnight drives after late events and jobs, if you're feeling at all tired, pull over and take a nap somewhere.

haneriali
12-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Picked up my daughter from college in Asheville. She raced against Megan this fall in the Southeast Conference MTB series. Her whole team was in shock; said Megan was fun, happy, supportive of everyone, very nice . . . and competitive; just the type of characteristics needed in college sports IMHO. What a horrible tragedy for all involved. We should take time to pause during this season to remember those suffering and in need.

BumbleBeeDave
12-21-2011, 09:30 AM
. . . where I also feel sorry for the driver. A horrible tragedy all around, but it sounds like from the news story the driver admitted he fell asleep. Prayers for him, too, in this case. If I was in his shoes this would haunt me for the rest of my life.

BBD

tiretrax
12-21-2011, 04:12 PM
It's very sad for both parties. There were several similar accidents when I was in school. A friends brother was paralyzed, and another was killed. If anyone hears of a ride in memory of the girl or any other activity from the cycling community, please post it here. I live in Dallas and would like to participate.