PDA

View Full Version : Custom Pegoretti paint scheme

sjbraun
08-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm getting so close to ordering a Duende. My buddie is coming over tonight to help me with some measurements, so soon, all that will be left to decide is the paint scheme. I'm planning to have the primary color be the same dark blue featured on the 8:30 frame as seen on the Competitive Cyclist website. I have a few specific ideas on where to put the main Pegoretti logo (like on the downtube,) but I wonder if I have to be very specific about everything? What kind of instructions have those of you have custom paint jobs included in your order? Is Dario okay with an instruction such as "Put the model name, Duende, anywhere on the seat tube, use varying shades of blue for the script."
I guess what I'm asking is for you to tell me about your paint customization process.

Thanks

dbrk
08-04-2005, 07:12 PM
I am lucky enough to own four Pegorettis currently and have had three others. I've learned two important things from these experiences, which have evolved nearly since Pegorettis were first available in the US under Dario's name. The ride is sublime but it's a whole experience.

First, if at all possible, find a stock fit that works for you. Why? Because therein lies own Dario's choices, his particular genius, the bike rides as he conceives it should. Most of us really don't need a custom fit (really, really) and I have found my mark in the stock 59cm. Sure, if you have some unusual issues then submit your numbers, give an idea of what you know works for you, but then let Pegoretti do what he knows best: build a bike that rides beautifully.

Second, I've learned to pick a basic color and a scheme and _then_ leave all the paint details and accents to Dario. When I suggested, for example, that a color scheme something like the 1950s Legnanos would be interesting for my custom (second) Luigino, Dario travelled to the Bianchi factory to look at colors, schemes, different versions of "Legnano green". He must have also studied five or six different examples because the result is a stunning mix of several of the most classic bikes. The lugs are one-off, the outcome is amazing. My Emma is an orange Scripts (I'm a language teacher who can actually make out several of the scripts and that's particular fun. Tibetan anyone?). My Marcelo, which once belonged to the great Dennis Cotcamp, starts in that 8:30 blue but the accents in orange and silver in the Bici scheme were entirely Dario's idea and I could not have picked something this brilliant. Dennis let Dario choose when he ordered the bike. For the new bike I wanted to pull out all the stops so I asked for a GGM in the Jaco scheme (gosh, I love Pastorius's music and I once, long ago, played a little frisbee with him...) and pink as a primary color. I left all the other accents and secondaries to Dario. The result has just arrived and it is incredibly beautiful (think: dark cofee, metallic purple, lime green, yeah, it sounds strange but it is magnificent!!) and I'd have never been able to make the choices Pegoretti made. So my suggestion is to give just the basics and let Dario do what he does so brilliantly. Pegoretti paint is simply unlike any other in the bike business, as far as I can tell. Other than Pegoretti my own tastes run to very traditional, even very boring styles. I'm not much for fades or nearly any patterning at all. But with Pegoretti you get a chance to see something entirely different. When I buy my next Pegoretti I may not even pick the scheme but rather just suggest a notion and see what he comes up with. It's really _that_ good. Say something to him like, "what would Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain look like on a bike..." I mean, just say something interesting and see what happens.

I've more or less had my fill of modern bikes but I will always make room for another Pegoretti. For the most part, step aside and let the man turn brilliant cycling craft into art.

dbrk

Serpico
08-04-2005, 07:22 PM
I assume you've posted these, do you have links to the pics.

sjbraun
08-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm leaning in the direction you point, but am just feeling a bit cautious. I've seen pics of your Luigino and it is stunning. Do you have pics of your Marcelo and your new GGM?

Steve

dbrk
08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Next week I'll try to take pictures of the whole lot of them and post some detailed shots as well. Some of the bikes are already in the Custom Gallery plus the Marcelo is the blue one listed by Dennis Cotcamp (it's since had it's headtube cut down by a renowned builder so it fits like a perfect 59cm). I'm already thinking about a CCKMP or Duende...and I'd have not the slightest hesitation to leave it all to Dario. Trust, man. It's a beautiful thing.

Pictures soon, but I am told that you'll be able to see really professional pictures of the GGM at competitivecyclist.com. They see a lot of bikes but paused when this one came through and brought in the pro photographer, so it'll appear soon on their site. As I have said many times, I would warmly recommend Brendan Quirk and Competitive Cyclist: their service and efforts are exemplary and they deserve every bit of their superb reputation.

dbrk

Fixed
08-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey Bro why don't you p. m. Mr. Jerk he is really a nice guy and I hear he's friends with the Mastro.You are a lucky cat. Cheers :beer:

Climb01742
08-05-2005, 04:26 AM
i too am fortunate enough to have a peg or two. dario's paint is extraordinary. i have a marcelo painted in white and black faema that is, visually, just a classic, wonderful paint scheme. my "black beauty" cckmp (which i rode for nearly three hours yesterday in what amounted to heaven on earth) is dario's black metallic, sans all logos. in person, the color is actually this amazing grey-black shimmery color that seems to have depth and layers. being a bit of an artistic control freak, i asked dario for both of these paint schemes. but following dbrk's lead, my next peg project is being left totally in dario's hands and mind. s.o. climb and i are getting hitched next year in italy and my wedding present to her (and yeah to me too ;) ) will be matching pegs. i asked dario to dream up a paint scheme to celebrate love that lasts. everything else is in his hands. having gone both routes on peg paint, i might suggest the latter. a peg is a whole experience. he's a madman/genius. why not go whole-hog?

ps: one of the reasons that s.o. climb is the gal for me is she agreed to spend the second week of our italian wedding/honeymoon in the little town in the dolomites where dario lives. yippee!

Too Tall
08-05-2005, 06:36 AM
An interesting option is to have the "Pegoretti" script only on the inside of the chainstays. Agree with rubberband man let Dario take care of the details it is one unique and very wonderful things he does.

BumbleBeeDave
08-05-2005, 06:43 AM
. . . Which, of course, I would like to do--I would also just tell him something like “I like bumblebees” and turn him loose. I have yet to see a Peg paint scheme that isn’t different and unique.

And dbrk, BTW, I cannot think of a better way to honor a friend’s memory than to take care of his bike and ride it proudly. :)

BBDave

Len J
08-05-2005, 07:57 AM
i too am fortunate enough to have a peg or two. dario's paint is extraordinary. i have a marcelo painted in white and black faema that is, visually, just a classic, wonderful paint scheme. my "black beauty" cckmp (which i rode for nearly three hours yesterday in what amounted to heaven on earth) is dario's black metallic, sans all logos. in person, the color is actually this amazing grey-black shimmery color that seems to have depth and layers. being a bit of an artistic control freak, i asked dario for both of these paint schemes. but following dbrk's lead, my next peg project is being left totally in dario's hands and mind. s.o. climb and i are getting hitched next year in italy and my wedding present to her (and yeah to me too ;) ) will be matching pegs. i asked dario to dream up a paint scheme to celebrate love that lasts. everything else is in his hands. having gone both routes on peg paint, i might suggest the latter. a peg is a whole experience. he's a madman/genius. why not go whole-hog?

ps: one of the reasons that s.o. climb is the gal for me is she agreed to spend the second week of our italian wedding/honeymoon in the little town in the dolomites where dario lives. yippee!

And many years of bliss. What a great idea for a honeymoon.

Len

dbrk
08-05-2005, 08:01 AM
i asked dario to dream up a paint scheme to celebrate love that lasts. everything else is in his hands. having gone both routes on peg paint, i might suggest the latter. a peg is a whole experience. he's a madman/genius. why not go whole-hog?

Oooo, I know something ol'Climbo' may not know...I've been told his wedding bike idea and, well, it's spectacular...very, very cool.

Perhaps next year, if it's still a possibility, I'll go to frame building vacation school at Dario's. I've been meaning too and there was a plan with a pal of mine. I should do it now because, well, after that it's all college tuition. Yikes!

dbrk

pjm
08-05-2005, 08:41 AM
gosh, I love Pastorius's music
So do I. Joni Mitchell had a live album called Shadows and Light (Live), with Jaco on bass, Pat Metheny on guitar, Lyle Mays on keyboards and Michael Brecker on sax, not a bad line-up, huh? I'll have to dust that one off and give it a spin tonight(vinyl!). And maybe some Weather Report, too!

sc53
08-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Len: :D Climb and S.O. Climb are going on a "hineymoon?" That'll light up the Dolomites!

Len J
08-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Len: :D Climb and S.O. Climb are going on a "hineymoon?" That'll light up the Dolomites!

xxxxxxxxxxx

mikemets
08-05-2005, 10:37 AM

Congrats! BTW - is the "CCKMP" a discontinued model?

round
08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
will be matching i asked dario to dream up a paint scheme to celebrate love that lasts.

the idea will be " Baci " !!!
nice weekend to everybody

Too Tall
08-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Oooo, I'll answer :) CCKMP is a special order.
Dolomites? Did someone say DOLOMITES???? Lust.

Climb01742
08-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Congrats! BTW - is the "CCKMP" a discontinued model?

cckmp isn't normally imported to the u.s. any more. but it is, as too tall said, gloriously available as a special order. it is a cloud 9 climbing machine.

jerk
08-05-2005, 10:50 PM
it's the tops.
it's the taj mahal.

round,

baci?
non fate essere bei girarlo sopra che ho bisogno appena del vostro bambino del corpo da dusk lavorare all'alba non avete bisogno dell'esperienza di girarli verso l'esterno voi permesso giusto esso tutto fino me sto andando mostrarvi che cosa è interamente circa non dovete essere ricchi essere la mia ragazza che non dovete essere freddi per regolare il mio mondo non siete segno particolare sia più compatibile con io appena desideri il vostro tempo supplementare e vostro
Baci
avete ottenuto non comunicare sporco, bambino se desiderate impressionarli che non potete essere troppo flirty, mama so per undress (yeah) desidero essere la vostra fantasia forse potreste spettare mine voi permesso giusto esso tutto me potremmo divertirsi non dovete essere ricchi essere la mia ragazza che non dovete essere freddi per regolare il mio mondo non siete segno particolare sia più compatibile con io appena desideri il vostro tempo supplementare e vostro
Baci
Sì Penso che desideri al ballo ottenuto a, ottenuto alla ragazza piccola parata del Wendy ha ottenuto a, ottenuto a, ottenuto a Le ragazze delle donne non regolano il mio mondo I hanno detto che regolano la mia Legge del mondo la vostra età, il mama (il non vostro formato del pattino) il non vostro formato del pattino forse potremmo fare il twirl non dovete guardare "Dynasty" per avere un atteggiamento voi permesso giusto esso tutto fino me il mio amore sarà il vostro alimento yeah non dovete essere ricchi essere la mia ragazza che non dovete essere freddi per regolare il mio mondo non siete segno particolare sia più compatibile con io appena desideri il vostro tempo supplementare e vostro

Baci

you are one sick ****.

jerk

(when are you and the jerk going swimming? surfs up here and the beer is cold.)

Climb01742
08-06-2005, 05:59 AM
it's the tops.
it's the taj mahal.

round,

baci?
non fate essere bei girarlo sopra che ho bisogno appena del vostro bambino del corpo da dusk lavorare all'alba non avete bisogno dell'esperienza di girarli verso l'esterno voi permesso giusto esso tutto fino me sto andando mostrarvi che cosa è interamente circa non dovete essere ricchi essere la mia ragazza che non dovete essere freddi per regolare il mio mondo non siete segno particolare sia più compatibile con io appena desideri il vostro tempo supplementare e vostro
Baci
avete ottenuto non comunicare sporco, bambino se desiderate impressionarli che non potete essere troppo flirty, mama so per undress (yeah) desidero essere la vostra fantasia forse potreste spettare mine voi permesso giusto esso tutto me potremmo divertirsi non dovete essere ricchi essere la mia ragazza che non dovete essere freddi per regolare il mio mondo non siete segno particolare sia più compatibile con io appena desideri il vostro tempo supplementare e vostro
Baci
Sì Penso che desideri al ballo ottenuto a, ottenuto alla ragazza piccola parata del Wendy ha ottenuto a, ottenuto a, ottenuto a Le ragazze delle donne non regolano il mio mondo I hanno detto che regolano la mia Legge del mondo la vostra età, il mama (il non vostro formato del pattino) il non vostro formato del pattino forse potremmo fare il twirl non dovete guardare "Dynasty" per avere un atteggiamento voi permesso giusto esso tutto fino me il mio amore sarà il vostro alimento yeah non dovete essere ricchi essere la mia ragazza che non dovete essere freddi per regolare il mio mondo non siete segno particolare sia più compatibile con io appena desideri il vostro tempo supplementare e vostro

Baci

you are one sick ****.

jerk

hey, that's cheating!!!

dbrk
08-06-2005, 06:23 AM
il mio fratello jerk, giocate con i climb per prenderli in giro con le parole, no? penso che il dario abbia due scatole rotonde dei baci per i climb. anche, penso che conosca troppo piccolo italiano per continuare.

ciao!
dbrk

Climb01742
08-06-2005, 06:30 AM
il mio fratello jerk, giocate con i climb per prenderli in giro con le parole, no? penso che il dario abbia due scatole rotonde dei baci per i climb. anche, penso che conosca troppo piccolo italiano per continuare.

ciao!
dbrk

man, i hope our learn-to-speak-italian kit comes soon. ;)

seriously, anyone have recommendations for the best way to learn a language? rosetta stone seems good for the "kit" route...or there's the tutor way. suggestions? grazie (see, i'm 0.00000001% of the way there!)

cs124
08-06-2005, 06:40 AM
seriously, anyone have recommendations for the best way to learn a language?

grow up in the western suburbs of melbourne, or probably any multicultural city.

schoolyard trash talk, which continues to this day at the start of our weekend group rides is a hearty mix of italian, greek, croatian and maltese. imprint in childhood you soon pick up the basics of just about any language that arrives in the 'hood.

Dr. Doofus
08-06-2005, 06:40 AM

seriously, anyone have recommendations for the best way to learn a language? rosetta stone seems good for the "kit" route...or there's the tutor way. suggestions? grazie (see, i'm 0.00000001% of the way there!)

speak chinese loudly

amg
08-06-2005, 06:47 AM

ciao!
dbrk

Carissimo Douglas,

Si vede che hai imparato bene la lingua Italiano guardando il Giro di Italia quest' anno! :)

Tanti Saluti,

Antonio :beer:

round
08-07-2005, 10:18 AM
it's the tops.
it's the taj mahal.

Baci

you are one sick ****.

jerk

(when are you and the jerk going swimming? surfs up here and the beer is cold.)

Senor Jerk,
quale buona nuova !!! Un messaggio del forum in italiano ,incredibile veramente una grande idea , mi risparmierebbe un sacco di fatica ,ci sono delle volte che vorrei rispondere ma tra cazzi e lazzi postare un messaggio in inglese cercando di farmi capire senza scrivere cazzate è veramente fatica improba ,devo costruire meno telai e cominciare a studiare un pò di inglese a meno che tutti i partecopanti al forum non vogliano imparare l'italiano , comunque gracias Sign. Jerk and next summer we will go to swim , surf is a little bit dangerous in consideration of my potbelly ,but i will be ready for the beers

jerk
08-07-2005, 10:37 AM

two ways.
go to prison in the country.

or join the bike team.

one of the above worked for the jerk.

jerk©™®

cpg
08-08-2005, 10:24 AM

Probably no help to you but my daughter attends a language immersion school. It's a Spanish immersion school. It's an amazing thing. I recently heard on NPR about language immersion vacations which are the bees knees now. I bet a quick google search will give you some options. Or maybe you could sign up to be Dario's shop beeatch. You could become fluent and learn to build frames.

Curt