PDA

View Full Version : Campy UT cranks modified to look like C-record era cranks

marinoni62
12-15-2011, 02:53 PM
I all not sure if this has been discussed here yet. But looking at these cranks
http://stallioncycles.webs.com/engravedchainsets.htm
Can you tell if it is the Athena or Centaur model? Or is the 11 speed version Athena and Centaur for the 10 speed version?
Does this void Campy's warranty?

Looks pretty nice and would go nice with a nice steel frame.

[Edit] I have no affiliation with the store etc. I actually picked up a square taper C-Record set recently, but this would have been an interesting alternative.

oldpotatoe
12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Can you tell if it is the Athena or Centaur model? Or is the 11 speed version Athena and Centaur for the 10 speed version?

Can't tell which is which, but I'm sure it would void the warranty. CR are the only difference from Athena and Centaur ALU, plus graphics.

harryblack
12-15-2011, 03:50 PM
huh, that's a weird exercise in retro- ... something, tho' why not just go square taper if it's that important.

if you look at the photo album on the page you linked to, judging by the chainrings it appears he's using alloy Athena AND Centaur and/or Veloce.

fatallightning
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
The cost isn't bad, and the looks are keen I think. The graphics on the stock crank are a bit much imho, especially if you're going for a neo-retro alloy look. If they could do matching panto on the derailleurs, even better!

harryblack
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
yah-- and I say this as someone who loves his Campy Athena 11 (even with Power Shift alloy levers, egads! + Hollowgram SI SL crank) that neo-retro is not an illusion i'd pay for... i got Athena because it was best I could afford. (And I have been tempted to sell that big $$$ crankset, which came with the frame, but it is a superb piece of engineering.)

i guess is if i needed a compact crank to match a genuine C-Record or other alloy group.

The cost isn't bad, and the looks are keen I think. The graphics on the stock crank are a bit much imho, especially if you're going for a neo-retro alloy look. If they could do matching panto on the derailleurs, even better!

Steve in SLO
12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I think it looks pretty cool. It will be interesting to see if Campy makes the effort to shut them down.

chismog
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Just FYI, Campy only did the engraved shield on the first generation C-Record cranks. They did a switch to screened logos because some of those first-gen cranks broke, right along the top edge of the engraved shield... I remember vividly a guy coming into the shop where I worked in the late 80s with a broken one.

So yeah, this will probably void the warranty. Looks nice though.

bigman
12-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Arms look great -- rings not so much.

wallymann
12-15-2011, 08:51 PM
... They did a switch to screened logos ... .

FWIW the later C-Record and Super Record logos were *laser* etched.

ultraman6970
12-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Looks cool but looks odd IMO.

Well the anodizing is gone in the engraving area because i doubt they will anodize the stuff again after engraving... rust rust!!

Brian Cdn
12-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Looks cool.
The cranks are Alum and non ferric. They may oxidize but they wont rust.

Rueda Tropical
12-16-2011, 07:10 AM
You don't need to remove ano to remove graphics and add pantograph. He doesn't mention removing the anodizing and polishing (which might effect durability not just cosmetics) so maybe it's just graphics.