PDA

View Full Version : ot photograhy and technology Paging TECHIES

1happygirl
12-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Hello all, the collective brain here is amazing and surprisingly a lot of people here love photography as much as bikes.

Quick question before the OT goes away or sumpin', How do you remove 'meta?' data from photos, like say iphone,android, etc? How do you know what is there or see it? As a grlperson who would like to sell stuff on craigslist or other places, I have been told this is something you wanna remove in advance of posting. Thanks guys (and gals) beforehand for your knowledgeable replies.

1HG

rice rocket
12-14-2011, 01:35 PM
http://exifremover.com/exifremover.php

Skip to the bottom, the top is all ads.

1happygirl
12-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Dude...

I was gonna say paging RR. Thanks man, you know yr tech. PS will it work on iphone/android/mobile devices?
I've heard they also store location info? :confused:

Thanks forum.

Love you guys and gals

rice rocket
12-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah, the EXIF info allows you to store GPS info for all JPG images, whether it's from an professional SLR or a cameraphone.

If you make sure you have the GPS function turned off on your phone/camera, you shouldn't need to clean it, there's no other personally identifying information in the photo. But if you're removing the info from photos that you might have taken earlier that already have them, then the above tool will fix you up.

benb
12-15-2011, 08:42 AM
There is nothing in EXIF info that is a privacy concern except GPS information if the photo was taken by a smartphone.

Both iPhone and Android have the option to not write GPS data into the EXIF, all you have to do is turn it off. I think it is even off by default, as it wastes battery life.

There is no real concern that someone on the internet is going to find out what Camera you have, or what shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, or focal length was used.

But yah.. there is tons of software out there that will let you edit this information.

Or you can "launder" the photo through facebook. Upload it to a gallery on facebook, and then download it from facebook. They strip the EXIF info. (Which is kind of annoying a lot of the time)