PDA

View Full Version : Attention Litespeed Historians!

Jeff N.
12-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Any of you guys'n'gals know if the Litespeed Vortex was ever offered in a factory high-polished (as in mirror bright) finish like the Ultimate once was? The reason I'm asking is because there's a big one on EBay (advertised as a 61 but it's a 63) with a high polish finish...wondering if it was an aftermarket job or factory option. I think the guy's asking too much for it, but... Jeff N.

Kirk Pacenti
12-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Any of you guys'n'gals know if the Litespeed Vortex was ever offered in a factory high-polished (as in mirror bright) finish like the Ultimate once was? Jeff N.

It was not stock, but high-polish was offered as an upgrade for all frames.

Cheers,
KP

Ken Robb
12-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I test-rode one 10 years ago or so. It was SHINY!! Didn't fit, though. They measure c-t so the one I thought of buying was too short for me. Pretty stiff frame.

wooly
12-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I had a matte finished Vortex in 2002. that was a nice bike.

Fixed
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
i used to have a jones for a merckx ti
cheers

Kirk Pacenti
12-14-2011, 06:05 PM
I had a matte finished Vortex in 2002. that was a nice bike.

Stock or custom?

Cheers,
KP

coelacant
12-15-2011, 12:03 AM
This is where I looked to see what year Classic I was getting;
http://www.tirides.com/wp/fabricators/jkl/litespeed/litespeed-catalog-archive/

trangalang
12-15-2011, 01:44 AM
I have a 1997 Vortex in a polished finish. I was on the same boat as you before.

I was scouting one on ebay but the top tube decals that read "VORTEX" rubbed off. The seller contacted litespeed and provided the serial # and found it to be a Vortex. 6/4 titanium with the curved seat stays.

I ended up putting in the winning bid for the bike and started to do a little research regarding litespeed's line from that year. Found a pdf for the original 1997 catalog and found that they only offered the Vortex in a brushed ti finish, while the one I purchased appeared to be polished in the pictures.

At that point, I started to freak out hoping I didn't overpay for a 3/2.5 lower-end frameset such as the Sienna, Classic, or Arenberg. The bike came in the mail and luckily, it had a 6/4 decal on the seat-tube so I was then certain it's a Vortex (I believe the only 6/4 bikes they offered were the Vortex and the Ultimate).