PDA

View Full Version : ENO hubs and Lake Winter MTB shoes

gabbard
08-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Anyone used either of these products? In particular, are the Lake shoes sized such that you buy the shoes in your regular size and have lots of space inside, or are they sized normally, so that I would need to buy them big if I want thicker socks?

I am thinking about a single speed cross bike, and the ENO hub looks like the best, although expensive, way to do it.

Steve

zeroking17
08-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Lake winter MTB shoes seem to be sized the same as their regular (non-winter) mtb shoes. However, the winter shoes have a thicker insole, which actually makes them fit slightly tighter than the non-winter ones.

I have the same size winter and non-winter Lakes. However, next time I'll get at least 1/2 size larger in the winter version

BTW, the winter Lake's are wonderful shoes!

Samster
08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I just used an ENO hub to build up a single speed for my wife. It isn't cheap, but nothing else does what it does (as far as I know.) I used a Mavic MA3 and DT spokes to build up a 3x pattern.

It's a great product.

pbbob
08-04-2005, 02:26 PM
lake winter mtb shoe: I would think about getting a whole size larger if you are planning to wear any kind of thickness sock. the inner sole comes readily out and I don't tend to use it. they are a well made shoe. try to find some to slip on before buying.

zank
08-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Eno is a great way to go if you are converting an existing bike. It is a great solution. If you are building a new frame though, I would suggest horizontal track ends or vertical dropouts and an Eccentric BB.

Samster
08-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Zank:

Who makes eccentric BBs for standard road shells and about what do they cost? Also, do they come with square tapered spindles? The only ones I've seen are for tandems, and I thought those were a different diameter altogether. Or am I wrong on that?

Thanks,
--Sam

zank
08-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Sam, you are correct. The frame would need to be built with a larger diameter BB shell. An eccentric does not fit into a standard BB shell. I wasn't sure if Steve was going to be using an existing frame or having a new one built. If it is an existing frame with a standard BB, the Eno is a great way to go.