PDA

View Full Version : OT Web Design

biker72
12-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Any web design experts out there that know what software is used to build a online photo album with effects like this?
http://www.gobywalnut.com/gallery.htm

Thanks
B72

BobbyJones
12-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Any web design experts out there that know what software is used to build a online photo album with effects like this?
http://www.gobywalnut.com/gallery.htm

Looks like the site was coded in Dreamweaver, but you could use any text editor to do the same thing. The photo gallery is built on a Jquery lightbox set up. (go ahead and google it)

gavingould
12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
yup, jQuery/javascript lightbox from the looks of it. i haven't really tinkered with any of that, i still code mine with a combination of Dreamweaver and good ol' HTML

biker72
12-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks Bobby and Gavin. I'd better use Dreamweaver because I'm somewhat HTML challenged. :)
I did Google jQuery. This is free??? Amazing.

forrestw
12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
'Gallery' easy to embed in other pages, superior image management, pretty sure it's written in PHP.

neiltron
12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
I'll recommend Virb (http://www.virb.com) for an easy-to-use, inexpensive hosted solution. I use it for my own photography website and I love it. I did not want to spend time coddling CSS/HTML, I wanted to get my content up and running, look great and not spend a lot of time doing it!

BobbyJones
12-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks Bobby and Gavin. I'd better use Dreamweaver because I'm somewhat HTML challenged. :)
I did Google jQuery. This is free??? Amazing.

Although Dreamweaver is a great tool, it's just that, a tool that helps you write HTML and CSS, etc.

Unfortunately, most sites i've seen entirely coded in Dreamweaver by, ahem, non-professionals don't hold up in the long run or across multiple browsers.

If you are just looking for a portfolio-type site there are plenty of ready to go resources. But if you're the tinkering type, forget I said anything and have some fun!

biker72
12-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Lots of good information here. Thanks to everyone.

Fortunately for me there is no time frame to get this done so I may tinker a little and actually learn something.

fkelly
12-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Menalto Gallery athttp://gallery.menalto.com/ is free software that supports a Gallery. Software is written in PHP and you also need a MYSQL database. Image files are stored as jpgs, usually. You need a hosting account and some expertise moving files, installing software and managing it. The account you can get starting at say 5 to 10 dollars a month on various hosts. The expertise ...

Alternatively you can use something like Picasa web or Flickr which give free picture storage on the web ... though they try to sell "upgraded" accounts once they get you addicted. You won't need much expertise for these but you won't have as much customization capability either.

gavingould
12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Although Dreamweaver is a great tool, it's just that, a tool that helps you write HTML and CSS, etc.

Unfortunately, most sites i've seen entirely coded in Dreamweaver by, ahem, non-professionals don't hold up in the long run or across multiple browsers.

i find this true for most what-you-see-is-what-you-get website setup tools. when building my site, DW's visual preview was next to worthless because it wasn't showing what my browser showed. ended up manually coding a good portion of it to make the layout correct.

other options i've used are:
Pixelpost [php/mySQL based with CSS formatted templates - can be a lot of tinkering in code here too to get the format you want]
Tumblr [all runs on their backend, found a pre-made template i liked and haven't bothered looking into setting up a template of my own]

timto
12-14-2011, 12:06 PM
i find this true for most what-you-see-is-what-you-get website setup tools. when building my site, DW's visual preview was next to worthless because it wasn't showing what my browser showed. ended up manually coding a good portion of it to make the layout correct.

other options i've used are:
Pixelpost [php/mySQL based with CSS formatted templates - can be a lot of tinkering in code here too to get the format you want]
Tumblr [all runs on their backend, found a pre-made template i liked and haven't bothered looking into setting up a template of my own]

Awesome photography BTW... and nice site.