PDA

View Full Version : Merckx Grand Prix >>> Now Corsa Extra!

juanj
12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Merckx Grand Prix, from about 89-90. This is the one w/ the Reynolds 753 tubeset, which is fairly rare. The bike is equipped with 7-9 year-old Dura Ace components and an Easton ec30 carbon fork (wish it came with the original).

Assuming everything is in good working order (claimed to be excellent, no rust, etc.), about what is a fair price for one of these? If anyone has experience riding one, I'd like to hear more. Info about this model on the web is very limited.

Thanks all for your collective wisdom!

ckamp
12-13-2011, 02:19 PM
I dont know that much about them, but I know of some merckx info here:
http://www.tearsforgears.com/2008/02/eddy-merckx-1990-catalog.html

If its a nice bike and in good condition, go for it. Dont get all caught up in the MXL hype.

juanj
12-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks, that was one of the few things I found. Also a couple of discussions on another bike forum. Unfortunately, I'm caught up in the merckx hype!

zmudshark
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
IMO, a 753 Merckx is worth as much as you are willing to pay. It will be special.

rccardr
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
+1. I love my 753, best riding bike in the fleet.

I paid a real premium for mine plus shipping from overseas, plus a refinish by Al Wanta with shipping from east coast to west coast and back again, so into it for well over a grand at this point.

Worth every penny.

texbike
12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Merckx Grand Prix, from about 89-90. This is the one w/ the Reynolds 753 tubeset, which is fairly rare. The bike is equipped with 7-9 year-old Dura Ace components and an Easton ec30 carbon fork (wish it came with the original).

Assuming everything is in good working order (claimed to be excellent, no rust, etc.), about what is a fair price for one of these? If anyone has experience riding one, I'd like to hear more. Info about this model on the web is very limited.

Thanks all for your collective wisdom!

Just out of curiosity, what size is it?

Cheers,

Texbike

John H.
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I would say that it would be special with original fork. With EC30 not so much.
Makes me wonder where fork went? Was the bike crashed? I would feel under the downtube and under the toptube near the head lugs- make sure it is not dimpled from front end impact.

juanj
12-13-2011, 05:12 PM
It's a 49. Apparently, built up by the current owner w/ out original fork. Don't know if there's more to it than that, but I will check it out carefully for any evidence of crash damage.

texbike
12-13-2011, 05:21 PM
It's a 49. Apparently, built up by the current owner w/ out original fork. Don't know if there's more to it than that, but I will check it out carefully for any evidence of crash damage.

I may know the bike that you're referring to. There can't be too many 49 cm Merckxs floating around with an EC30 on it. :)

I'll send you a PM w/more detail....

Texbike

juanj
12-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I may know the bike that you're referring to.

Texbike

Thought you might!

cmg
12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
a 49 with a 52 top tube, 73-74 STA would have a great deal of value to me.

SuperColnago
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
How would the geometry of the Grand Prix 753 compare to say a Merckx Century?

Cheers

lhuerta
12-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Grand Prix frames had the Road Racing geo which was a slightly steeper STA...see:

http://www.tearsforgears.com/2008/02/eddy-merckx-1990-catalog.html

As for $ value... as others have indicate, to you, its worth what you willing to pay. In the wider market, a Merckx frame with a missing original fork is like buying half the piece of artwork you hoped for...I would venture no more then $300, this is taking in to account the small size and assuming very good condition, straight and no rust
Lou

juanj
12-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Oops, the bike is not a Grand Prix, it is a Corsa Extra. The photos were a little fuzzy, and I made some incorrect assumptions about paint schemes.

So to update: this is a Corsa Extra, Dura Ace 9-speed components and brakes, carbon fork. The new photos show that it is in really nice shape. More info as soon as I ride it.

christian
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM
This is a tough one.

7700 is nice stuff, even if the crank/bb is blech, and the shifters might be at the end of their life, which would basically necessitate another big expenditure. And missing steel fork is a drag.

I guess it's a $500-600 bike, but I'm not sure I'd buy it, frankly. I'd rather get one as a f/f/hs and build it with a modern group.

El Cap
12-25-2011, 07:59 PM
753 is rare. It's quite prized among steel Merckx collectors

martinrjensen
12-25-2011, 08:39 PM
So, yours is a Corsa Extra eh? Do you mean that it's not a 753? I have a 753 Professional model as near as I can tell according to the serial and model numbers on the Tears for Gears site. I have only heard of 2 different models of 753, the Grand Prix and the Professional. I wish there were more information about them floating around out there but I haven't found it.
FYI my Professional model rides really nice. I don't notice it being too stiff or anything but I did get a comment from the shop that straightened the frame for me (R&E cycle in Seattle) that said it was really tough to straighten, meaning stiff. I paid almost $300.00 for my frame and put $200.00 into it for straightening and a new paint (Powdercoat) job. I really think I have more in the frame than it's worth but on the other hand I do like riding it and have no plans to sell it.