PDA

View Full Version : Winter Cycling Advice

SuperColnago
12-12-2011, 06:18 PM
OK, I'm moving back to Ottawa, slush and COLD capital of Canada. Some winter slush like Boston but also a little (lot) colder too. Just spent two glorious years in Australia cycling every day.

Sold 3 of 4 cars, going to ONE car, I'm going to commute about 8-10 km during winter, want to try by bike. Thinking of Surley Pugsley, based on the other threads about winter gear (they are great threads).

My questions center around:
Is it better to keep bike outside overnite (cold) vs inside (warm). Wondering if a warm bike will accumulate more ice than a cold one (eg warm shovels are no good they get gummed up with melted snow/ice)

Also, IGH or derailleur? Thinking of Alfine or Nexus.

Also, disc brakes, or drum, or rim?

Thanks any advice appreciated

DogpawSlim
12-12-2011, 06:25 PM
I know absolutely nothing about commuting in a wintry environment, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

I keep steel bikes inside.

I would recommend disc brakes as they're more functional in the wet than rim brakes. As far as drum brakes go...if they're anything like my old BMW motorcycle's drums in the wet, I would stay away.

Ottawa is pretty flat, no? If so, you might want to consider single speed, or even fixed on a Pug.

beercan
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
keep it simple, fenders, good wide tires, and a single speed would be perfect, keep it indoors if u can, ive heard chains can freeze with some precipitation on them if kept over night

cp43
12-12-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't think you'll need a pugsly if you'll be on plowed roads for the whole commute. I've been running 35mm studded tires on a cross frame w/ disc brakes for the last 3 winters (outside boston).

I'd say go for disc brakes for sure. More reliable stopping power in wet slushy conditions.

I've had no problems with a 10-speed ultregra derailleur system.

I would second the recommendation for fenders. Get nice long ones to keep the spray from the front wheel from getting all over the chain/cranks/BB.

I keep the bike inside, both at home and at work. I haven't noticed any problems related to this.

Have fun, I really enjoy my winter commutes.

Chris

peanutgallery
12-12-2011, 07:08 PM
forget the bike and get some skis:^)

you are a brave man to commute in that, good on you. my experience would be to keep it inside if you can (attached garage or mud room would work) and full length housing for everything if you can swing it. simpler the better on the drivetrain and nothing hydraulic (fork or brake). with the 8 hours or so of daylight, get some lights, too

have a great winter, moving back to it can tough for that 1st year or 3 when you are used to good weather

SuperColnago
12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey thanks Peanut, ALMOST looking forward to some adversity when it is sooo perfect every day for cycling here in South Australia! Its no wonders the Aussies Greenedge Team was formed, the cycling is top-notch and intense here, EVERYONE rides top gear, even saw an Independent Fabrications fixie last week here in Adelaide!

Cheers mates!

forget the bike and get some skis:^)

you are a brave man to commute in that, good on you. my experience would be to keep it inside if you can (attached garage or mud room would work) and full length housing for everything if you can swing it. simpler the better on the drivetrain and nothing hydraulic (fork or brake). with the 8 hours or so of daylight, get some lights, too

have a great winter, moving back to it can tough for that 1st year or 3 when you are used to good weather

Louis
12-12-2011, 08:48 PM
it is sooo perfect every day for cycling here in South Australia!

In that case, my advice would be to stay there. :)

Good luck with the big move.

giverdada
12-12-2011, 09:00 PM
hey super:

i spent many a year commuting here in toronto, all winter long, because transit is total crap, and driving is at least as bad, and getting through all that weather actually lends some sanity to the workday, though i'm not sure how. my commute used to be about 30-35 min., 8 miles (whatever km that is) each way, and i learned a lot of things the hard way that i'd love to share, of course, all only pertaining to my own experience. hopefully some of it helps.

fenders.
really good fenders make everything so much better. even if they get gummed up full of slush and snow and salt and whatever else can get caught between them and your tire, it's better than between your @$$ and the tire...

single speed works great. fixed works even better.
single speed drivetrains keep all working parts to a minimum. you may still need to worry about winterizing your freehub, so as not to disengage the pawls when it gets really cold (as it does, much more in ottawa than down here!). fixed is even better because you're not using brake pads, you can feel the traction (or lack thereof), and you don't have to winterize your freehub.

disc brakes would easily be your best bet, mechanical over hydraulic.

my commuter bike was a piece of crap $50 rigid norco mountain bike that i made into a single speed. fenders. totally cheap $7 mtb wire bead tires from MEC that completely rocked any snow i threw at them. clipless pedals. a brooks B17 (broke it in with winter riding gear on and it was ready to rock by springtime). bell. big wide bars. i had no choice other than rim brakes, but i changed the pads often and they were mostly fine.

for insanely awesome traction, run your tires in the 30psi range. it'll be slow but safe. studded are pretty rockin for straight up ice.

and i think that's all i can remember that might pertain to your post. i think a pugsley is overkill, but that's just me. all i can think about is pushing around 4" wide tires. woah. and sometimes, you don't really want to float that much in the snow - cutting through on narrower tires can sometimes help.

as for clothing - make sure you have something totally windproof in the front. have lots of reflective stuff. wear boots or booties, and keep 'em loose so you still have circulation. (it usually took me about 35 minutes to lose feeling in my toes.) goggles are amazing, like the full on snowboard ones. wicked. windproof hat. neck gaiter that you can tuck up around your entire face.

and please, for the love of life, use a ton of really bright lights. lights save lives.

otherwise, give'r man. i think commuting by bike will be an awesome thing, is the best way to go, and may even make you more awake on the way there, and more human on the way home. enjoy!

thendenjeck
12-12-2011, 09:09 PM
having commuted through two NYC winters and now Chicago, I say:

fenders absolute must.

keep the bike inside when you can.

discs.

mountain bars, but maybe that's just me.

layers, with the outer one being a gore windstopper.

balaclava or helmet cap and neck gaiter.

I prefer larger tires with some amount of tread rather than the skinny tire "cut through the slush" method.

beercan
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
also adjust tire pressure when the roads are icy or wet for more traction

thendenjeck
12-12-2011, 10:43 PM

sorrry i had to (http://www.baconorbeercan.com/)

fourflys
12-12-2011, 11:14 PM
OK, I'm moving back to Ottawa, slush and COLD capital of Canada. Some winter slush like Boston but also a little (lot) colder too. Just spent two glorious years in Australia cycling every day.

<snip>

Thanks any advice appreciated

I know your feelings... I'm in San Diego now and going up to Alaska this summer for 3 yrs... I plan on throwing some fenders on my Salsa Vaya (heavy duty cross bike with discs) and some studded tires...

I'll be watching this thread for sure...

SuperColnago
12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Great advice got it : Fenders, Discs

Great advice, got it: Fenders, Singlespeed, Disc, tire Pressure, and 'Rug Up' as they say here in Australia when it gets 'cold'
SuperColnago

hey super:

i spent many a year commuting here in toronto, all winter long, because transit is total crap, and driving is at least as bad, and getting through all that weather actually lends some sanity to the workday, though i'm not sure how. my commute used to be about 30-35 min., 8 miles (whatever km that is) each way, and i learned a lot of things the hard way that i'd love to share, of course, all only pertaining to my own experience. hopefully some of it helps.

fenders.
really good fenders make everything so much better. even if they get gummed up full of slush and snow and salt and whatever else can get caught between them and your tire, it's better than between your @$$ and the tire...

single speed works great. fixed works even better.
single speed drivetrains keep all working parts to a minimum. you may still need to worry about winterizing your freehub, so as not to disengage the pawls when it gets really cold (as it does, much more in ottawa than down here!). fixed is even better because you're not using brake pads, you can feel the traction (or lack thereof), and you don't have to winterize your freehub.

disc brakes would easily be your best bet, mechanical over hydraulic.

my commuter bike was a piece of crap $50 rigid norco mountain bike that i made into a single speed. fenders. totally cheap $7 mtb wire bead tires from MEC that completely rocked any snow i threw at them. clipless pedals. a brooks B17 (broke it in with winter riding gear on and it was ready to rock by springtime). bell. big wide bars. i had no choice other than rim brakes, but i changed the pads often and they were mostly fine.

for insanely awesome traction, run your tires in the 30psi range. it'll be slow but safe. studded are pretty rockin for straight up ice.

and i think that's all i can remember that might pertain to your post. i think a pugsley is overkill, but that's just me. all i can think about is pushing around 4" wide tires. woah. and sometimes, you don't really want to float that much in the snow - cutting through on narrower tires can sometimes help.

as for clothing - make sure you have something totally windproof in the front. have lots of reflective stuff. wear boots or booties, and keep 'em loose so you still have circulation. (it usually took me about 35 minutes to lose feeling in my toes.) goggles are amazing, like the full on snowboard ones. wicked. windproof hat. neck gaiter that you can tuck up around your entire face.

and please, for the love of life, use a ton of really bright lights. lights save lives.

otherwise, give'r man. i think commuting by bike will be an awesome thing, is the best way to go, and may even make you more awake on the way there, and more human on the way home. enjoy!

SuperColnago
12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Got it, some common advice surfacing

Fenders, Disc Mechanical,Single,Fat Tyres, low Tire Pressure,"Rug-Up" =Layers, and seems like bike inside overnite...

Cheers mates, thanks to all, keepem coming

beercan
12-13-2011, 12:03 AM
sorrry i had to (http://www.baconorbeercan.com/)

the funny thing is thats exactly the reason why i chose beercan haha :banana:

spiderman
12-13-2011, 09:43 AM
get a bike that you love to ride
and ride the snot out of it!
--if it fails you, good on you--

CNY rider
12-13-2011, 09:59 AM
If you have money to burn buy good winter clothing, nice lights.
When it comes to the consumable stuff keep it cheap.
Like chains, cassettes, brake pads, even the derailleurs. My experience is that they just get destroyed in a winter of salt slush riding no matter what you do.
Save the good stuff for your other bikes.

EpicMonk
12-13-2011, 10:21 AM
How about a fatbike?

spiderman
12-13-2011, 10:24 AM
keep your eyes open for a deal like this...
if it's still out there on my return trip
i may try commuting on this
just to see how it goes

SuperColnago
12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
In that case, my advice would be to stay there. :)

Good luck with the big move.

You are SOOO right Louis, but I HAVE to return....but only for 3 years...then back to Oz!

Cheers

thendenjeck
12-13-2011, 07:48 PM
the funny thing is thats exactly the reason why i chose beercan haha :banana:

haha, that's awesome. :beer:

William
12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Sounds to me like you might be a good candidate for a SS or IGH with CDX/CenterTrack belt drive.

http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/forbikemakers.php?lang=us

Pict posted in the Belt drive thread.....

http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/userfiles/stays%20clean%20in%20mud.jpg

William

SuperColnago
12-14-2011, 05:00 AM
I only have 8 -10 km to go so thinking of a fatbike always wanted one just for fun now I have an excuse!

I should have bought the purple one recently in the classifieds.....

How about a fatbike?

SuperColnago
12-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Great pic of the belt drive thx!

William
12-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Great pic of the belt drive thx!

:beer:

The Spot Brand Sprawl would be a pretty cool commuter. Belt drive with 8sp IGH or SS plus the option to run chain and derailleur if you want to "gear up". Fenders also an option.

http://beltbik.es/spot-brand/2011/sprawl

This page lists most/all the brands that are offering Belt drive.

http://beltbik.es/bikes

Have fun!!

William

Andreas
12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lKXlppIsQCk/Tuiy8WT2v_I/AAAAAAAAAms/j64eDAwMsuE/s400/quickbeam.jpg

- fixed for low maintenance and immediate feedback when losing traction
- studded (700x35 @45psi - 63kg)
- fenders (although ice build up can be a real prob with fenders)
- avoid leather saddles (brooks), they don't like rapid changes in temp (-15C -> 20C) if you keep it inside
- frame save once a year
- loose layers, ski goggles, face mask etc.
- flats stink when it is really cold, be ready

Merlmabase
12-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Lots of good advice here already. I'll share my experience from commuting through two winters in Montreal.

Definitely stay away from that steel frame. There are a million cheap hardtail aluminum mtbs out there on craigslist, give one a second lease on life. If they lay down the salt by the dumptruck-full in Ottawa like they do here, that Surly won't last too long. Although I do run a 80mm-corrected surly fork, comfy and cheap enough to be a throwaway.

Tires are important. The gold standard among winter bikers in these parts are CX tires, Schwalbe CX Pros in particular, which are available in 26". I find that standard mtb tires turn into snowballs under many conditions, and lose their traction. CX tires cut through the snow, but still have good grip. I run mine around 70 psi. Something I haven't tried, but I think would work wonderfully, is to have a steel-stud tire mounted on a spare front wheel, which can be conveniently swapped in on icy days. Steel studs are great on ice, but kinda crap the rest of the time.

V-brakes have always served me well, especially kool-stops. The main issue is that my rims are dead after a season of winter riding, and the brake pivots can starts to seize up from all the slushy salty crap that comes flying off the rim. I'm thinking about trying a mechanical front disc this season for that reason. I've heard from a few sources that BB7's are pretty reliable in the cold.

A lot of people swear by riding fixed in the winter for the handling, which I can't speak to, but you definitely can't argue with the low maintenance. I've been riding a single 42t chainring up front, and 8 speeds in the back. I just like to be able to gear down to power through big piles of snow. That said, I sometimes ride a bit more "recreationally" in the winter, meaning I'll go out of my way to plow through some big snowbank just because it's fun. You can usually manage with a SS setup if you're able to forego that kind of mischief.

For that same reason I ride clipped in, but again mostly because I like the torque to get out of deep snow. And with the temeratures we get, you better have some damned cozy spd boots. For most people, studded platform pedals with ordinary winter boots is a much more practical solution.

I mostly keep my bike outside in the winter. It's convenient - my apartment isn't espcially small, but unless you've got an actual garage, you don't want to be dealing with that filthy sludge melting off and running all over the floor.
I also think that frequent freeze-thaw cycles probably aren't good for the bike. Every thaw is a chance for saltwater to seep into your freehub, or brake pivots, or BB. Keep some phil wood on that chain. We get an aerosol grease that Canadian Tire sells as White Grease. I coat my derailleur and brake pivots with it at trhe start of the season. They look disgusting after a few rides, but some spring, just toss them in the degreasing sink, and they come out looking like new.

As everyone else has said, good fenders with mudflaps will save you a lot of grief. The nice thing about running cx tires is that you get a lot of clearance with typical mtb fenders made for bigger tires, and I've never had them clog with snow. They'll save your BB and fd if you have one, which otherwise would get showered with gravelly, salty slush.

Keep your attire fairly spare - I find I get more of a workout riding in the winter, and generate a lot of heat. The trick is covering up as much skin as possible, and making sure your feet and hands in particular are well-insulated. There are some really great neoprene/fleece ninja masks out there. Along with a thin fleece cap and my normal road helmet, I've never had a cold head or ears.

I'm not a fan of goggles. I hate the restriction on my field of vision, and the sense of looking at the world through a window. In winter more than ever, I feel like I need to have maximum awareness of my surroundings when riding in the city. I have fairly large plastic-rimmed glasses that help with the wind somewhat, and even on the coldest days I haven't felt the need for goggles. YMMV.

Lights, lights, LIGHTS!

Most importantly, have fun tinkering with your setup. The field of winter cycling is highly region-specific and wide open for innovation. Find what works best for you.

Merlmabase
12-14-2011, 12:51 PM
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hig2XX5O0gwk4yBHqlbT3JVkarrCYRP09oOyGQfZfpM?feat=d irectlink

Toddtwenty2
12-14-2011, 01:43 PM
I've been commuting year-round in Chicago for the past two years. The only thing I can suggest that hasn't already been said is that ski helmets are much nicer than a regular biking helmet and hat. They're more comfortable, warmer, and mine also has adjustable ventilation (Smith Brand).

cp43
12-14-2011, 03:10 PM
I've been commuting year-round in Chicago for the past two years. The only thing I can suggest that hasn't already been said is that ski helmets are much nicer than a regular biking helmet and hat. They're more comfortable, warmer, and mine also has adjustable ventilation (Smith Brand).

I find the ski helmet noticeably heavier than my bike helmet. I agree that it is much warmer, but I don't find it as comfortable. If it's really cold (below 10F) I'll wear the ski helmet. Warmer than that and I find I'm more comfortable with the bike helmet and a thin hat, or thin balaclava. Worth trying out the ski helmet though, if you have one.

I have also found that keeping my neck warm makes a huge difference in my comfort in the cold. I'll often wear a fleece ear warmer around my neck to cut the wind.

Also worth considering is a helmet cover for your bike helmet. I don't have one, but a buddy of mine really likes his.

Chris

SuperColnago
12-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Something like this would work?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101063

surprised at the recommendation for Aluminum vs steel, we use lots of salt on our roads, whch is very corrosive to aluminum (steel as well...)???

Cheers

cp43
12-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Something like this would work?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101063

surprised at the recommendation for Aluminum vs steel, we use lots of salt on our roads, whch is very corrosive to aluminum (steel as well...)???

Cheers

That would work very well.

As far as it being steel, I think if you framesaver it every year, and keep it somewhat clean, you probably won't have any rust problems.

My winter bike is Aluminum, I've had no corrosion problems so far, after 3 winters. I think you'll be fine either way.

The drawback to that frame, and others with similar dropouts, is that the wheel has to go back to get it out to change a flat. So, you have to the fender trying to keep it in, the disc brake caliper trying to keep it in, and the chain trying to keep it in. I wouldn't think of it as a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind if you get it.

Chris

staggerwing
12-15-2011, 08:00 AM

In our local, my ski helmet is little too much. But, I do have a thin balaclava that I can't imagine doing without.

On the other hand, below 20deg F, I ride with well ventilated ski goggles. Otherwise, my eyes tear up to the point where I can hardly see the road. You mainly early or late, you can get clear lenses for them too.

xjoex
12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Just to add my $.02, disc brakes make winter riding safer and more enjoyable. Flat bars worked better for me, but that was just me. Fenders are great to have too.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ipl_MQWfNGk/S0UHb82Yv3I/AAAAAAAACVE/WdVyVsLR3hY/s720/100_5550.JPG

Also, light yourself up like a xmas tree, people don't expect to see bike riders out there in the snow. I added those flashing arm bands to my kit, I think it added to the side visibility.

Its fun too! Every commute is like a mini adventure.

-Joe

SuperColnago
12-21-2011, 10:36 PM
I'll let you know what I end up with!

Cheers

markie
12-21-2011, 11:00 PM
I have four years worth of commuting in IL on a Rivendell Quickbeam (that I bought from the classifieds, thanks classifieds!). I rode most ever-day, did not worry about the conditions. 10 miles each way. Did not frame saver. I just pulled the bottom bracket and there was very minimal rust. I think the bike will outlast me.

I guess fenders and a big drain hole in the bottom bracket help a bike survive longer.