PDA

View Full Version : Tebow Time O.T.

Wimpy
12-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Can anyone deny that there is something very special happening in Denver right now. It's hard to quantify and I don't believe it's sustainable, but there is some true magic or inspiration happening with that group right now.

Say what you want, but the world could use more Tim Tebows!

soupless
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
He's so inspirational that the Bears decided they didn't even WANT to win yesterday.

crownjewelwl
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
some credit to Prater

not like Tebow set him up with a couple of chip shots!

and the defense holding the Bears to 10pts

i like Tebow a lot...his earnestness is refreshing, but come on!

if he manages to be the Pats, I will take back everything I just wrote...

tsarpepe
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes, there is something about him, but that something is not enough in the long run.

WeakRider
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
There is something special going on in Denver, but I will never be a fan of Tim Tebow.

oldpotatoe
12-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Can anyone deny that there is something very special happening in Denver right now. It's hard to quantify and I don't believe it's sustainable, but there is some true magic or inspiration happening with that group right now.

Denver down 10-zipp with 2 minutes to go...I'd call it luck and the other team being crappy. Not even artificial magic.

It is football.......

jr59
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Well, one of the ex NFL coaches says, "you are what your record says you are"
then, TT is 7-1 with 6 str. wins.

Say what you will, but 6 in a row is not luck!

jr59
12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Denver down 10-zipp with 2 minutes to go.

It is football.......

Had them just where they wanted them! :D :banana:

slowgoing
12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Chicago unequivocally gave away the game when the running back went out of bounds. Without that, Denver loses and no one is calling Tebow special this week. Unless you're suggesting he's also responsible for that play.

BlackTiBob
12-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Chicago unequivocally gave away the game when the running back went out of bounds. Without that, Denver loses and no one is calling Tebow special this week. Unless you're suggesting he's also responsible for that play.

x2

and the previous week comeback against our MN Vikings was not all that special as our secondary is "college caliber".
So, IMO the Tebow magic won't last but I could be wrong :)

Chance
12-12-2011, 01:08 PM
That wasn't his doing, but he has connections. ;)

He's played better than expected. There were at least 4 dropped passes that should have been completed including one for a touchdown. His receivers at Florida seem to be more talented than what he has in Denver today.

And it also doesn't help that Denver only has one running back other than Tebow himself. And when Chicago obviously lined up to stop the run Denver coaches didn't call for passing plays. Not until they were 10 points down and almost out of time.

Dave B
12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Like Tebow's optimism. Makes me smile. I am giving credit to him being a part of a team that is working their buts off on both sides. They found what magic they need to win. Be it a different type of quarter back, or simply a common thing to unite them and pull strength from.

I think if people put it all ontebow, then they aren't doing him a good service. He is the first to point out his mates and I think they are being lost amongst his hype.

I hope that doesn't catch up and ruin what their mojo.

I like when good things happen for good people.

SamIAm
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I like when good things happen for good people.

Yes!

cat6
12-12-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm not a Tebow fan but I find myself rooting for him and the Broncos when I watch their games. Everyone has an opinion on him, he's a topic during any NFL conversation.

Love him or hate him, he's good for the game.

Next time you're asked to open a jar, or reach something on a high shelf look at your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend dead in the eye and say "TEBOW TIME." Stand up, do some spins as if you're breaking a tackle, accomplish task at hand and point to the sky with both fingers about chest level....nod head in acknowledgement as if you've just sent & received a message to/from a higher power.

FlashUNC
12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Broncos kicker Matt Prater nails a 59 yard field goal as time expires (because Tebow can't get them any closer) and the defense causes a fumble on a play that was a sure touchdown in overtime, to them watch the offense muddle through to a 50-yard attempt that the kicker then nails to win...

And all anyone can talk about is what a magical wizard Tebow is?

As I've mentioned previously, what I can't stand about the Tebow love-fest is it completely ignores what has become an astoundingly good defense and a team catching some breaks.

Prater coulda nailed that field goal at the end of regulation from probably 65 or 70.

thenewguy11
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
To think, about 8 weeks ago I was contemplating getting rid of my tickets to the Broncos-Pats game next weekend. Wasn't looking forward to freezing my ass off to watch a mediocre team play poorly.

Now, I'm extremely excited to see a mediocre team play way above their heads. Don't know if it'll be enough, but it'll be fun to watch.

93legendti
12-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Teddy KGB: Good hand. Catching that Jack on the turn. You got lucky there.

Mike McDermott: Yep, it was luck.

dancinkozmo
12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
I find teebows religiousity irritating, but not nearly as annoying as the idiotic touchdown dances/displays that so many wr do when they score....I think ditka said .."when you get to the end zone , act like you've been there before !"

Sunday against the bears was the best game of the year imho

1centaur
12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
You know, you could make a pretty great comedy script out of the premise that a mediocre QB keeps winning and nobody can figure out how and it gets in their heads, when all along it's because they're focused on the wrong thing.

johnnymossville
12-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Good players make their team look good and want to play well.

Tebow seems to have given Denver at least some spark. They went from bottom feeders to playoff contenders with him in there. Good for the team and good for Tebow.

Look at the Colts without Manning for an example of a team in serious need "Something"

93legendti
12-12-2011, 02:41 PM
What was the name of the star QB who led the Ravens to a Super Bowl Title?

johnnymossville
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
What was the name of the star QB who led the Ravens to a Super Bowl Title?

Trent Dilfer I think.

firerescuefin
12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
When was the last time you heard a coach teammate say he was disengenuous or had anything bad to say about him......cricket....cricket.

The guy wants to play football, make the world a better place, and share the thing that means the most to him (his faith). Can see (given all the crappy things going on in this world) how that makes people angry and mean spirited towards him :confused:

Heard Trent Dilfer (analyst and naysayer) say that Tebow is starting to get it and sees improvements in his reads and his footwork and that he is really growing as a QB.

The D has been playing great...and Prater is kicking out of his mind, but to discount Tebow as being a catalyst or changing the dynamic is foolish. When a guy like Champ Bailey is buying in and says he is changing the attitude here, I'll take his word for it.

WeakRider
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I have no problem with his faith. But the second he decided to become a spokesman for a homophobic, "pro-life" organization, I decided that I would root against him.

When was the last time you heard a coach teammate say he was disengenuous or had anything to say about him......cricket....cricket.

The guy wants to play football, make the world a better place, and share the thing that means the most to him (his faith). Can see (given all the crappy things going on in this world) how that makes people angry and mean spirited towards him :confused:

Heard Trent Dilfer (analyst and naysayer) says that Tebow is starting to get it and sees improvements in his reads and his footwork and that he is really growing as a QB.

The D has been playing great...and Prater is kicking out of his mind, but to discount Tebow as being a catalyst or changing the dynamic is foolish. When a guy like Champ Bailey is buying in and says he is changing the attitude here, I'll take his word for it.

67-59
12-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Before people get too excited, let's remember that he just beat a fading Bears team that is reeling from the loss of two of its most important players...and it took OT to beat them. And just before that, they had a narrow 3 point win over a Vikings team that would struggle in the SEC right now, an OT win over a sub-.500 San Diego team whose coach is about to be fired, and wins over a sub-.500 KC team and an Oakland team that just got beat by 30.

The kid shows some promise, but I want to see what happens when they play some real opponents....

SamIAm
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I decided that I would root against him.

PS: It's not working.

firerescuefin
12-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I have no problem with his faith. But the second he decided to become a spokesman for a homophobic, "pro-life" organization, I decided that I would root against him.

Must get tiring rooting against everyone that doesn't share your beliefs. Add me to the list of people to root against.

WeakRider
12-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Apologies for bringing politics/ideology into this. Tebow started it.

thenewguy11
12-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Agree on many counts, but noticed you left out the Jets who are still in contention for the playoffs and the fact that Oakland lost by 30 to the Packers (not sure anybody can play those guys close right now). And Minnesota's record is horrible but 8 of their 11 losses have been by a touchdown or less. The Pats will be a huge test but its not like the Broncos have some incredibly easy schedule relative to the rest of the league.

Before people get too excited, let's remember that he just beat a fading Bears team that is reeling from the loss of two of its most important players...and it took OT to beat them. And just before that, they had a narrow 3 point win over a Vikings team that would struggle in the SEC right now, an OT win over a sub-.500 San Diego team whose coach is about to be fired, and wins over a sub-.500 KC team and an Oakland team that just got beat by 30.

The kid shows some promise, but I want to see what happens when they play some real opponents....

BryanE
12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I only remember the Lions game.
Wasn't so special that day.
Bryan

indyrider
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM

Whatever. The world could use more teamwork, which is what the Broncos have exhibited. And a good kicker.

slowgoing
12-12-2011, 04:40 PM

Add a few games where the Broncos aren't in a position to make a 4th quarter comeback because he didn't perform in the first three quarters then we can all mull it over during the off season.

That field goal kicker was something else though.

93legendti
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Trent Dilfer I think.
for his career he threw more int's then td's....pretty low qb rating as well...

SupremeOverload
12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
The Tebow hate is more amazing than the Tebow love.

I don't understand the haters at all. Makes me think it's a reflection of all their failures.

93legendti
12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
The Tebow hate is more amazing than the Tebow love.

I don't understand the haters at all. Makes me think it's a reflection of all their failures.
rational? no. predictable? yes.

johnnymossville
12-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Is Tebow from Texas by any chance?

:p

SupremeOverload
12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
rational? no. predictable? yes.

Why do you think there are such strong feelings against him.

I kinda understand the love fest. People want a Hero. We to often assign hero status where is in not due but I understand the desire to have one.

I just don't understand the desire to hate?

Louis
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Is Tebow from Texas by any chance?

I was surprised to hear that he was born in the Philippines. (His parents were missionaries there, and the story behind his mother's health when she was pregnant and his birth certainly help explain his pro-life position. An inspirational story all around.)

Hawker
12-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Apologies for bringing politics/ideology into this. Tebow started it.

I didn't know he was on this forum?

67-59
12-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Agree on many counts, but noticed you left out the Jets who are still in contention for the playoffs and the fact that Oakland lost by 30 to the Packers (not sure anybody can play those guys close right now). And Minnesota's record is horrible but 8 of their 11 losses have been by a touchdown or less. The Pats will be a huge test but its not like the Broncos have some incredibly easy schedule relative to the rest of the league.

Yes, I left out the Jets. Lots of mediocre QBs win one big game. If he can make it a habit, I'll be impressed....

Louis
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
I just don't understand the desire to hate?

Has anyone on the Forum said that they "hated" him? I must have missed it.

He is controversial, and rightfully so. I don't see how acknowledging reality and saying that he's controversial is a hateful thing to do.

Bring up religion and religious figures (there is no denying that beyond being a sports figure, he is also a religious figure) and you automatically open the discussion up to strong opinions.

HenryA
12-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I think its called "leadership" - something we've seen way too little of lately.

Chance
12-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Has anyone on the Forum said that they "hated" him? I must have missed it.

In a previous Tebow thread someone wished for a defensive player to rip off his head.

Does that count as hate?

rice rocket
12-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Patriots next Sunday. It'll be the first real challenge on the Tebow schedule.

Pats almost dropped to ball this Sunday, but they're still 10-3. The previous 4 of 6 Tebow wins were against teams under .500. The Jets like to Sanchez themselves into losses, and Oakland's not been playing with any consistency.

56mtorres
12-13-2011, 12:02 AM
yeah, its not all tebow, but its tebows energy and attitude that just seems to be spreading throughout the entire team. go figure......a 59yd field goal with 8 sec. left for the tie? then a 51yd'r for the win after being down by 10 with 2 min left? u kidding?
not tebow but you cant get me to believe he isnt the main man.

verticaldoug
12-13-2011, 05:24 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/opinion/sunday/bruni-tim-tebows-gospel-of-optimism.html?scp=1&sq=tebow&st=Search

I thought this OpEd piece interesting. I find it amazing that Tebow is more hated than the guys in the NFL who have committed serious criminal offenses. It says a lot about how intolerant we have become to people who have different beliefs.

Ralph
12-13-2011, 05:42 AM
I admit the religous stuff irritates me sometimes, but otherwise our family has become fans of Tebow. And we're not football fans. We don't go to church either.
He is good for Denver, the team, the league, TV ratings, fills up the stadium, and is a good example for young folks. What's not to like? He gives credit for the recent wins to his team, kicker, and coaches, so what else can he say? So Go Tebow!

93legendti
12-13-2011, 06:15 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/opinion/sunday/bruni-tim-tebows-gospel-of-optimism.html?scp=1&sq=tebow&st=Search

I thought this OpEd piece interesting. I find it amazing that Tebow is more hated than the guys in the NFL who have committed serious criminal offenses. It says a lot about how intolerant we have become to people who have different beliefs.
Most people are tolerant of him...I'd say about 20% aren't

WeakRider
12-13-2011, 07:19 AM
It says a lot about how intolerant we have become to people who have different beliefs.

Different beliefs? As of 2008, over 75% of Americans identified themselves as Christian. Believe it or not, Tebow's faith is not the main reason why many people choose not to root for him.

Reminds me of this:

http://i.imgur.com/5AwU9.jpg

Chance
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
It says a lot about how intolerant we have become to people who have different beliefs.
What would be enlightening is knowing how these people get along with loved family members who have different views. It’s not uncommon to have parents or grandparents who have different beliefs and views on religion, race, gender roles, abortion, politics and so on. So, are they intolerant of their own family just because they may be a little “backwards” based on their personal standards? Or do they overlook those flaws by ignoring them and love them anyway? :confused:

daker13
12-13-2011, 09:17 AM
I think there are a lot of people who don't actually hate Tebow, but hate the hype machine that constantly seems to be putting him front and center this season.

The Broncos have an awesome defense and Tebow deserves credit for getting the team fired up. On the other hand, the Broncos haven't beaten any the elite teams in the NFL this season. I'd say the best team they beat was the Jets, and the Jets have serious problems this season. The Packers look unreal this season, yet no one seems to be talking about them; that ability to fly under the radar, as the Times suggested a few days ago, might actually help them remain undefeated. Everyone seems to be talking about Tim Tebow. The Broncos to me don't match up well with the Pats. While the Pats' pass defense is awful, Tebow doesn't have a great arm anyway. The Pats defense also plays better when they feel they've been maligned, as they have been for the past few weeks. It should be a good game.

Bob Loblaw
12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
People who dislike Tebow associate him, fairly or unfairly, with religious smugness; IOW, people who think they have it all figured out and seem to look down on those who don't, and they drive non-believers crazy because the answers they happily accept to various existential questions can be machine-gunned into swiss cheese by anyone with the ability to argue rationally.

Be that as it may, when Tebow says things like his teammates make him look better than he is, it's refreshing when you compare it to a lot of other players who wear their egos like a gaudy gold chain.

BL

Wimpy
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Just like we all know the whole deal is not Tebow's I think everyone knows Tim is not Brady or Arron Rodgers.

I find it amazing/interesting that almost everyone in the know, including his coach and owner, thought he would not be able to do what he has done. I don't care if he has only beaten the NFL's bottom feeders and he loses every game her out.

It's the Fn NFL.

"Now, whether or not what we experienced was an "according to Hoyle" miracle is insignificant. What is significant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved." Jules

slowgoing
12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
It's not that he has a different view, it's that he can't open his mouth without making his beliefs known. Finding out that his parents were missionaries explains a lot.

What would be enlightening is knowing how these people get along with loved family members who have different views. It’s not uncommon to have parents or grandparents who have different beliefs and views on religion, race, gender roles, abortion, politics and so on. So, are they intolerant of their own family just because they may be a little “backwards” based on their personal standards? Or do they overlook those flaws by ignoring them and love them anyway? :confused:

laupsi
12-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Prediction:

The Pats will take all the hype the Broncos and Mr. Tebow are getting personally. The Pats do have a quality football team and coach. The Pats are going to divert the Broncos at least for one afternoon. It won't even be close!

johnnymossville
12-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Prediction:

The Pats will take all the hype the Broncos and Mr. Tebow are getting personally. The Pats do have a quality football team and coach. The Pats are going to divert the Broncos at least for one afternoon. It won't even be close!

Yeah I think the Patriots will win too. They are slightly better than the Broncos overall and it will show.

The Broncos have a better defense though. The Patriots suck on defense this year. Hopefully they can get to Brady and make things interesting.

laupsi
12-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah I think the Patriots will win too. They are slightly better than the Broncos overall and it will show.

The Broncos have a better defense though. The Patriots suck on defense this year. Hopefully they can get to Brady and make things interesting.

I agree and think although the Pats have not been too stout w/ their d'fence, but they are getting things dialed in. I am actully pulling for the Broncos being a staunch Ravens Fan but also understand it's almost playoff football time and the Pats have lots of experience pouring it on this time of year.

SamIAm
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
It's not that he has a different view, it's that he can't open his mouth without making his beliefs known. Finding out that his parents were missionaries explains a lot.

This could be a great learning opportunity for you, figure out why Tebow making his beliefs known bothers you. Try the 5 why approach, keep asking yourself why until you reach the real root cause.

slowgoing
12-13-2011, 12:59 PM
This could be a great learning opportunity for you, figure out why Tebow making his beliefs known bothers you. Try the 5 why approach, keep asking yourself why until you reach the real root cause.

It's not that he's making his beliefs known, it's that he's making the same beliefs known every time he opens his mouth. I would find it tiring no matter what his beliefs were.

JMerring
12-13-2011, 01:04 PM

perhaps it's the proseletyzing that's bothersome, irrespective of by whom or which religion is concerned. it's been my experience that those with the most to say about their reverence for god and a godly life are also those most likely - in their private lives - to not be that reverential of god's children or god's way. tebow has an interesting story, no doubt, and maybe he's the exception to the general rule. but can't he just focus on the reason we're interested in him and leave the rest for other venues?

WeakRider
12-13-2011, 01:13 PM
It's ironic that Tebow's supporters are painting his detractors as closed- and small-minded haters who don't respect the viewpoints of others. After all, the object of their admiration has chosen to serve as the public face of an organization run by some of the most closed-minded people to ever walk the face of the earth.

gdw
12-13-2011, 01:24 PM
"It's ironic that Tebow's supporters are painting his detractors as closed- and small-minded haters who don't respect the viewpoints of others. After all, the object of their admiration has chosen to serve as the public face of an organization run by some of the most closed-minded people to ever walk the face of the earth."

Please.... Nike isn't that evil.

Louis
12-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Tebow's supporters are painting his detractors as closed- and small-minded haters who don't respect the viewpoints of others.

That is the irony of it all.

Religious proselytizing is by definition to have little or no respect for the other person's beliefs. Comes with the territory.

SupremeOverload
12-13-2011, 01:29 PM
.. Finding out that his parents were missionaries explains a lot.

Them damn do gooders! What are they thinking trying to make the world a better place.

The statement above explains a lot about you. YAFM

Seramount
12-13-2011, 01:30 PM
choreographing spiking the ball, pretending to call 'yo mamma' on a cell phone, mid-air chest-bumping, shhhsh-ing the opposing fans, turning the bottle of energy drink to show the brand, praising your imaginary sky-being...all of these annoying actions detract from the reason I watch sports.

play the game to the best of your athletic abilities, exhibit good sportsmanship, and cut the boring/silly theatrics.

rodcad
12-13-2011, 01:35 PM
The Broncos have made things pretty interesting against the Pats over the years and I'm hoping this year will be no exception. If they can put pressure on Brady and get in his head a bit it might be fun. And if they can get the run game going........ then it just might be Tebow time again :)

Louis
12-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Them damn do gooders! What are they thinking trying to make the world a better place.

I suppose that depends on how you define a "better place."

slowgoing
12-13-2011, 01:49 PM

The statement above explains a lot about you. YAFM

I meant his parents being missionaries, which I did not know before, goes a long way to explain why Tebow is the way Tebow is. Wasn't intended to be a negative implication whatsoever.

On the other hand, name calling (YAFM - you're a fu... moron) says a lot about you.

Louis
12-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I meant his parents being missionaries, which I did not know before, goes a long way to explain why Tebow is the way Tebow is. Wasn't intended to be a negative implication whatsoever.

Trying to steer this back on track:

Agreed.

As I said above, the circumstances of his birth also explain his pro life / anti choice (take your pick) beliefs and make it much easier (IMO) to accept him. Doesn't mean I necessarily agree with him, but it really is all part of the story that make him special.

Louis

Charles M
12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I suppose that depends on how you define a "better place."

Torquemada had an idea of a better place... I like Tebow's milder version as the "Hammer of Heretics..." :beer:

Louis
12-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Torquemada had an idea of a better place... I like Tebow's milder version as the "Hammer of Heretics..." :beer:

I like Monty Python's version best.

Beware of the soft cushions (and the comfy chair). :)

firerescuefin
12-13-2011, 02:41 PM

LegendRider
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Prediction: Sooner or later someone will be compared to Hitler.

JMerring
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM

i thought godwin's law was about a reference - any reference - not an actual comparison. if the former, it has been proven once more.

dancinkozmo
12-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Speaking of which , Stalins daughter just died...is Cindy Hitler next ?

Aaron O
12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Will playing in a dome hinder God from hearing Tebow's prayers after playing like a turd for 3.5 quarters?

He should be thanking his defense and kicker for bailing him out each week, not his lord and savior. On the plus side, he doesn't turn it over much. It's hard to turn it over when you don't throw the ball most of the game. I am really looking forward to watching Tebow time when he plays a quality, healthy team in the playoffs. Hard to come back from 27-0, which is likely what it will look like.

I spent the last few days in Denver - awesome city.

Chance
12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Through first 8 games he's reportedly out performed Elway. Yes, he needs to get better but most QBs with less than one year's worth of games didn't do that much better. Give him a chance.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/32152/tebow-clutch-even-more-than-elway

http://thepigskindoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tebow-elway-stats.jpg

WeakRider
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, New England has the worst pass defense in the league...

Aaron O
12-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Through first 8 games he's reportedly out performed Elway. Yes, he needs to get better but most QBs with less than one year's worth of games didn't do that much better. Give him a chance.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/32152/tebow-clutch-even-more-than-elway

http://thepigskindoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tebow-elway-stats.jpg

Nobody was anointing Elway the chosen one after those 8 games...and Elway didn't prattle on endlessly and self righteously every time he had a mic. Elway also played MUCH tougher competition...and I'm betting didn't happen to catch teams with injured QBs every week. Even comparing QBs of different eras like this is silly since the rule changes put a QB in a diaper and promote scoring and offense.

SamIAm
12-13-2011, 04:21 PM
"It's ironic that Tebow's supporters are painting his detractors as closed- and small-minded haters who don't respect the viewpoints of others.

The are not small-minded haters because they don't agree with his beliefs, they are small minded haters because they seek to diminish him and his accomplishments because of his beliefs.

I stand by what Mr. President had to say earlier, I like it when good things happen to good people and folks, have a good look around, Tebow is by all accounts good people.

Aaron O
12-13-2011, 04:24 PM
The are not small-minded haters because they don't agree with his beliefs, they are small minded haters because they seek to diminish him and his accomplishments because of his beliefs.

I stand by what Mr. President had to say earlier, I like it when good things happen to good people and folks, have a good look around, Tebow is by all accounts good people.

No - I seek to diminish his beliefs because I think they are silly and harmful to others.

I criticize him as a player based on his ability - or lack there of - and the silliness of people who want so badly to believe he's the next Tom Brady because they like his beliefs. I thought Reggie White was a tremendous doofus as a human being, but on the football field - WOW! I thought Joe Gibbs was an arse, but he was a fine coach. Tebow? Not so much - and the hype machine around him is just amusing.

gdw
12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Excuse me, I didn't write that.... I'm not into hating anyone and have enjoyed watching the Broncos since Tebow took over. He's a refreshing change from the typical pro athlete and his religous views don't scare or offend me. I wish him well. Go Broncos. :beer:

peanutgallery
12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
mixing football and God's will makes me want to vomit. the 2 should never be mixed. that aside, this weekend will see the end of the Tebow "magic" or whatever you want to call it, for better or worse

all that aside, the end will come in the form of a team that has smart defenders and scores 30 plus points per game, the Patriots. they will watch lots of film and the Broncos will face a team that is playing well and not ravaged by injury to key players. The Pats are hot and hitting their stride. Timmy will be forced to throw more and into situations he has not had to previously and someone will step in and take advantage of the way he throws

he has had a great year thus far, but a running QB with mechanics only slightly better Taylor Martinez is not a way to make it long-term in the NFL. they will make the playoffs but any other AFC team at the top of their division will give them a thumping they will not forget in the first round. the Broncos are lucky that it is a down year in the AFC West, they are going to the mat with the Raiders of all teams. Can't see the Broncos worth a darn against the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots or Texans. the result will be a bloodbath

dancinkozmo
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
...this recent run by Denver and the fact that scientists are on the brink of discovering the "god particle" (Higgs boson) is more than just a coincidence....
:banana:

Louis
12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
this weekend will see the end of the Tebow "magic" or whatever you want to call it, for better or worse

If it isn't, I assume you'll be joining the rest of the believers? ;)

firerescuefin
12-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Thread started out as a thread about a guy that is bringing a lot of excitement to Denver and the NFL...a guy who is loved by fans and has always been loved by teammates...even though his world view was far different than his.

It's digressed into a couple of antagonists continuing to take direct and indirect shots at Tebow's belief system, one that I and many other members on this forum share. The only thing you have enlightened me on is that I really don't enjoy this place much anymore...Kudos to you. :beer:

4Rings6Stars
12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Nobody was anointing Elway the chosen one after those 8 games...and Elway didn't prattle on endlessly and self righteously every time he had a mic. Elway also played MUCH tougher competition...and I'm betting didn't happen to catch teams with injured QBs every week. Even comparing QBs of different eras like this is silly since the rule changes put a QB in a diaper and promote scoring and offense.

+1

I don't have anything against Tebow or his beliefs (even though I don't share them) and wish him only the best. However, all the hype about a mediocre qb on a hot streak / lucky streak is very amusing. I'm excited to watch him play the Pats this weekend, but a little worried since our defense is atrocious...

If the Broncos beat NE this weekend they are going to exalt him (him, not the Broncos) as if it was the 08 Patriots they were playing. And if they suggest he's better than Tom Brady I'm going to vomit...

Aaron O
12-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Thread started out as a thread about a guy that is bringing a lot of excitement to Denver and the NFL...a guy who is loved by fans and has always been loved by teammates...even though his world view was far different than his.

It's digressed into a couple of antagonists continuing to take direct and indirect shots at Tebow's belief system, one that I and many other members on this forum share. The only thing you have enlightened me on is that I really don't enjoy this place much anymore...Kudos to you. :beer:

That'll be my last comment on it because I don't want to offend, or run off people like you. Apologies for offending, it's a delicate topic and it probably would have been better to stick to football.

Louis
12-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Re: Digression and thread drift.

There really ought to be a law against that. ;)

wc1934
12-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Tebow is great for the NFL - he is all over the airways and he is all people are talking about at the water coolers, even the non- footballers.

The NFL insiders, the so called "experts" are now changing their opinions - he did not fit the typical pro QB so they dismissed him - despite the fact that he is a Heisman trophy winner and led his team to the national championship.
They did the same with Doug Flutie. Hard to argue with success.

Aaron O
12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Tebow is great for the NFL - he is all over the airways and he is all people are talking about at the water coolers, even the non- footballers.

The NFL insiders, the so called "experts" are now changing their opinions - he did not fit the typical pro QB so they dismissed him - despite the fact that he is a Heisman trophy winner and led his team to the national championship.
They did the same with Doug Flutie. Hard to argue with success.

How much success did Flutie really have in the NFL? How are we measuring NFL success? I do it with playoff wins, and how many extra wins they provide a team based on their play.

peanutgallery
12-13-2011, 06:38 PM
there is a place for QB's that are 5-10, have funky mechanics or think they would like to run...the CFL. Flutie was crazy successful

How much success did Flutie really have in the NFL? How are we measuring NFL success? I do it with playoff wins, and how many extra wins they provide a team based on their play.

christian
12-13-2011, 06:40 PM
I believe. In regression to the mean. :)

93legendti
12-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Flutie:
In 1998 with the Buffalo Bills, he earned Pro Bowl and NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors.
Flutie was 37-28 as an NFL starter.
He had a NFL career completion ave of 54.7% and threw 86 tds and 68 ints.

4Rings6Stars
12-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Flutie:
In 1998 with the Buffalo Bills, he earned Pro Bowl and NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors.

You forgot the most important stat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Jsz-fSNd4

Aaron O
12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Flutie:

The record is nice, though largely more a function of his team IMO. The 54% completion percentage and TD-INT ratio is pretty middling. Any playoff wins? Also - his best season was 3400 yards...not a sign of lighting it up (and he had some MONSTER receivers and good OLs. Remember Eric Moulds? That guy was a monster.

Check out some QBs who have made pro-bowls...it really isn't the honor some think it is.

dancinkozmo
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
...nobody thought Brady would be any good either. Wasn't he drafted like two hundred and fifty something ? Even the pats picked five or six guys ahead of him , so they were as clueless as everyone else.

Dekonick
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Tebow is working with a team that was destroyed by McDaniels. Say what you want, but he has won a bunch of games by making his team believe they can win. It is called leadership.

He does not appear to have the athletic beauty of the greats, not gonna pass like a Marino. Elway ran pigeon toed... threr off of his back foot, and threw cross traffic/field. He had a bunch of haters too... (still does in Baltimore)

Tebow thus far had fantastic stats in college. Has that one trophy... you know the one...

He has won games that no one ever thought possible given his team. Make all of the excuses you want, I still admire a man with a fantastic work ethic and little ego. He leads by example and is a good human being.

Here are two of the nice little things he has done... in case you didn't know...

http://starcasm.net/archives/27411

http://nation.foxnews.com/tim-tebow/2011/12/10/tebow-makes-call-boy-battling-cancer-watch

He also has traveled around to use his name and fame to help orphans. I like the dude.

The religious antics may be a bit much, but at least his life appears to reflect those beliefs... unlike so many others...

:beer:

Wimpy
12-13-2011, 09:36 PM
The record is nice, though largely more a function of his team IMO. The 54% completion percentage and TD-INT ratio is pretty middling. Any playoff wins? Also - his best season was 3400 yards...not a sign of lighting it up (and he had some MONSTER receivers and good OLs. Remember Eric Moulds? That guy was a monster.

Check out some QBs who have made pro-bowls...it really isn't the honor some think it is.

I'm sure you could have done just as well had you applied yourself. :crap: :crap: :crap:

Aaron O
12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm sure you could have done just as well had you applied yourself. :crap: :crap: :crap:

If the standard is comparing a professional athlete to me, he's all world, as is Tebow :rolleyes:

Bring back Todd Marinovich...he's a better QB than I am!

Louis
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
If the standard is comparing a professional athlete to me, he's all world, as is Tebow :rolleyes:

As soon as Tebow matches Kurt Warner's achievements I'll take down my little shrine to the Greatest Show on Turf and erect one to the Mile-High Messiah.

As far as their beliefs so, they're an interesting contrast. Kurt did not catch as much flak in part because he did not push his message quite as aggressively. Plus, he was a way better quarterback than Tebow.

SamIAm
12-14-2011, 07:15 AM
No - I seek to diminish his beliefs because I think they are silly and harmful to others.

I criticize him as a player based on his ability - or lack there of - and the silliness of people who want so badly to believe he's the next Tom Brady because they like his beliefs. I thought Reggie White was a tremendous doofus as a human being, but on the football field - WOW! I thought Joe Gibbs was an arse, but he was a fine coach. Tebow? Not so much - and the hype machine around him is just amusing.

I think I get it now that you have brought Joe Gibbs and Reggie White into the conversation. Outspoken Christians are doofuses and harmful to others and Christians themselves are just simpletons who need to keep their mouth shut as their belief system is not as highly evolved as yours.

If you are per chance an employer, are you able to abide by the law and overlook religion in the hiring process?

Can you be friends with such people, assuming they keep their mouth shut?

I haven't seen a Christian step up in this thread and bash other belief systems, but somehow you feel its ok to do so every time this topic comes up. There is a difference between making a statement like, "Personally I am an atheist because ....." and "Christian beliefs are f'ed up."

It comes off as intolerant and doesn't strike me as the kind of thing one says face to face, but will happily say on the internet.

As far as Tebow's talent, who is to say so soon, but Tebow has always been successful and always will be in whatever he chooses to do. He is a winner. And I picture you as the kind of man who will be rooting against him all the way and taking any defeat or setback he suffers as proof that his God is not real.

William
12-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Who is Tebow? Does he ride? Cross, road, Mtb, 29er?

Just wondering. :p

William :)