PDA

View Full Version : Shout out!

d_man16
12-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Hmm I feel like a fool here (I keep putting this off). In a recent visit to Austin, I ended up with a free afternoon (while I waited for my friend to get out of work). I stumbled into a shop a block away from her job and started yacking with the guy behind the counter for some time.

Ended up renting a bike and riding the Green Belt on their recommendation. It turned out to be great city trail: like a mini Pisgah right in town. It was so much fun (the whole experience)- I'm actually thinking of moving there?

The guy's really went out of there way to help me fit the ride and get me good directions to the trail head: I'm pretty much a lost cause with directions, they printed me out maps and invited me to an group ride.

They also tossed me: H2O bottles, gu and gave me a good deal on the rental without even asking.

They guy's were seriously knowledgeable (we talked about sweet wings cranks, I mean who remembers those things??) and let me step back to check out a cool project they were working on-

I know little about the Austin scene so this may be par for the course but it usually takes a little work to find a shop so accommodating of a customer who's only passing through.

Just wanted to say thanks guys, you know who you are.

~D

Idris Icabod
12-12-2011, 09:53 AM
I've never been to Austin but worked in Boulder, CO with an English guy who did his post doc there and married a Texan girl. The guy was desperate to go back to Austin which I thought was crazy as I think Boulder is about as nice a place to live as anywhere. In the end he left his good paying job at a great company and went back to live with no job lined up. I guess I should visit Austin, it must be really nice.

Also, I think you should tell us all which shop is so cool, just in case I do end up visiting.

d_man16
12-12-2011, 10:37 AM
oops it was Mellow Johnny's

~D

cmg
12-12-2011, 11:17 AM
oops it was Mellow Johnny's

~D

here's a link http://www.mellowjohnnys.com/gallery-viewer/?gid=7

LouDeeter
12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I wonder how many of those Motorola & Trek team bikes were Lance's actual TdF race bikes. Chewy's for Mexican food and lots of German food places in the area, or even a few miles down the road in New Braunfels. Austin is a great city, located centrally to a lot of prime Texas riding country. I'm not a Univ of Texas longhorn fan, but the school brings a lot of good things with it.