PDA

View Full Version : Some friendly winter reminders (Cabin Fever Etiquette)

ergott
12-12-2011, 06:26 AM
1) First and foremost, this place is here to hang and be amongst good folk.

2) It's always wonderful to celebrate and share what it is you love so much about cycling/biking/racing/commuting etc.

3) #2 isn't a pass to let everyone else know why/how they are "doing it wrong" or why one system is better. Don't be so judgmental. We all need to be reminded of this one once in a while.

4) Remember the golden rule. Treat others in the manner in which you wish to be treated.

5) Happy whatever you celebrate during the cold months.

6) Hope to see you out there on the road. On a bike that is. :D

:beer:

William
12-12-2011, 06:40 AM
BITE ME!!!

;) ;) :D

William

BillG
12-12-2011, 06:42 AM
3) #2 isn't a pass to let everyone else know why/how they are "doing it wrong" or why one system is better. Don't be so judgmental. We all need to be reminded of this one once in a while.

:beer:

I think you're being far too judgmental. :beer:

northbend
12-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Thank you Eric

Steve in SLO
12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Nice post, Eric.

Oh yeah, and all you guys back east and north who have crappy winters: quit being so pissy.

BillG
12-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Nice post, Eric.

Oh yeah, and all you guys back east and north who have crappy winters: quit being so pissy.

Easy for you to say. :fight:

ergott
12-12-2011, 09:48 AM
30F morning ride and I came inside feeling great. :banana:

Steve in SLO
12-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Okay, to edit: quit being so pissy and be more like Ergott.

Champion city
12-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I've been riding all winter so far all the way to -15c when the roads are clear. Keep riding!

spiderman
12-12-2011, 10:58 AM
and enjoyed taking in the ice sculptures lining my favorite section
of trail that we've named the wormhole...
www.cyclingthelakes.blogspot.com
i loaded some shots in the top center slideshow
if you're interested in seeing some phone pics.
the temp was in the 20's as i recall.
the day's ride starts at image 14
but there were a couple of other shots
i included when i downloaded and cleared my phone
that i thought you might enjoy...

Chance
12-12-2011, 11:28 AM
We can learn a little from Tebow. A person can be competitive without being an in-your-face jerk.

It’s just a forum. Let your ideas speak for themselves. And when necessary challenge ideas and not people.

P.S. -- Tired of winter already.

Louis
12-12-2011, 11:33 AM
We can learn a little from Tebow. A person can be competitive without being an in-your-face jerk.

If he's not "in-your-face" I don't know who is.

FlashUNC
12-12-2011, 11:53 AM

I think we all hope you layered properly, and either used or did not use whatever eletronic training aids you thought most appropriate.

Karin Kirk
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
I think we all hope you layered properly, and either used or did not use whatever eletronic training aids you thought most appropriate.
And for a 30 degree ride I hope you brought your 25-35 degree bike, not your 35-45 degree bike, heaven forbid! :p

FlashUNC
12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
And for a 30 degree ride I hope you brought your 25-35 degree bike, not your 35-45 degree bike, heaven forbid! :p

Oh, I figured that was just assumed by all the parties involved. Who would be so gauche to use the wrong bike for the wrong temperature range?

Karin Kirk
12-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh, I figured that was just assumed by all the parties involved. Who would be so gauche to use the wrong bike for the wrong temperature range?
Precisely. What a Fred/triathlete thing to do. :)

That said, just imagine how robust these debates are on xc ski racing forums, where they really do obsess over tiny temperature changes and snow crystal physics. I'm sure we are tame by comparison.

Chance
12-12-2011, 12:52 PM
If he's not "in-your-face" I don't know who is.
Not by my definition.

Don't have to agree with his believes to know he respects others and is a nice guy. His actions don't threaten me in any way whatsoever hence it doesn't come across like he is in my face. That's the point of this thread, isn't it? That we can have different opinions and be OK with that? Just like lots of people disagree on his football ability or lack of but yet don't attack each other personally.

FWIW, "in-your-face" to me is behavior like showboating. It's one thing to celebrate and show pleasure in doing something right and another to rub it in your opponent's face. That’s where it starts to cross into a bullying mentality on the forum.

Joachim
12-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm dumping my Campy SR for Shimano....

Louis
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
It's ironic that in a thread originally posted to ask folks to get along and not be judgmental that you would recommend being more like a figure who has been one of the more controversial players out there, dating all the way back to his college days, and continuing into his pro career.

Not by my definition.

weiwentg
12-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I've been riding all winter so far all the way to -15c when the roads are clear. Keep riding!

I've been riding all winter so far all the way to 40F when the roads are clear. it's good to be a tough guy and ride at -15c. It's also good to live in a warm area of the country. :beer:

firerescuefin
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
It's ironic that in a thread originally posted to ask folks to get along and not be judgmental that you would recommend being more like a figure who has been one of the more controversial players out there, dating all the way back to his college days, and continuing into his pro career.

They stick a Mic in his face and he answers a question or shares what's on his heart. I can assure you that one on one he is as nice of a guy as it gets and that the majority of his teammates do not and never have shared his world view, but love him anyway, which says everything you need to know about the man. Are you seeking to be disagreeable just because you can be?

tannhauser
12-12-2011, 03:44 PM

It’s just a forum. Let your ideas speak for themselves. And when necessary challenge ideas and not people.

P.S. -- Tired of winter already.

Goodness, a sports hero as moral guidance. Again.

Television, what will you teach me today?

Bob Ross
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
4) Remember the golden rule. Treat others in the manner in which you wish to be treated.

Perhaps a bit of thread drift, but fwiw...

I'm not a religious person. In fact, you could probably characterize me as being "anti-religious". Perhaps even "vehemently anti-religious".

And I'm also somewhat of a Moral Relativist: There's almost never a "right" thing to do independent of context.

So between those two stances, I'm generally the last person you would expect to subscribe to some "Golden Rule", no matter who came up with it...but especially one that's been so closely associated with Good Clean Christian Living® and/or taught as some component of bible studies.

And yet, I can think of no reason why someone wouldn't subscribe to The Golden Rule: Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You just seems like one of the easiest ways to ensure survival in the evolutionary sense. You have to not only consciously, willfully not care about other people, but you also have to have an incredibly ignorant grasp of risk and statistics if you don't live your life according the The Golden Rule.

Louis
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Are you seeking to be disagreeable just because you can be?

Speak for yourself. I'm not the one who keeps bringing up a controversial character in a thread intended to do the exact opposite.

Uncle Jam's Army
12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Only Luddites ride Campy. Titanium is far superior to carbon or steel. Only the clueless use power meters.

:banana:

giverdada
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Perhaps a bit of thread drift, but fwiw...

I'm not a religious person. In fact, you could probably characterize me as being "anti-religious". Perhaps even "vehemently anti-religious".

And I'm also somewhat of a Moral Relativist: There's almost never a "right" thing to do independent of context.

So between those two stances, I'm generally the last person you would expect to subscribe to some "Golden Rule", no matter who came up with it...but especially one that's been so closely associated with Good Clean Christian Living® and/or taught as some component of bible studies.

And yet, I can think of no reason why someone wouldn't subscribe to The Golden Rule: Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You just seems like one of the easiest ways to ensure survival in the evolutionary sense. You have to not only consciously, willfully not care about other people, but you also have to have an incredibly ignorant grasp of risk and statistics if you don't live your life according the The Golden Rule.

the golden rule negates context, or at least, supersedes anyone else's context with one's 'own'. treating people as we wish to be treated assumes that they want to be treated like we do. pretty sure that wouldn't work in a lot of places.

rdparadise
12-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the post.

First, I live in So. Jersey and so far it really hasn't been brutally cold for outdoor cycling. Therefore, I've gotten out just about every weekend for 30-45 miles at least once.

Second, in only 10 days, the days will begin to lengthen and we'll be on the backside of winter.

Third, I restarted doing Bikram Yoga last week and the 105 degree heat is fabulous and I'm regaining much lost flexibility.

Fourth, when all else fails theres always the spin class at the gym.

Fifth, most likely I'll keep riding outdoors as long as it's not 20 degrees outside with a high wind factor and the roads are clear.

That's all for now.

Bob

Chance
12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Louis, my point seemed clear when written. Maybe it wasn't. Given he is indeed controversial for having very different beliefs as you’ve correctly stated, he still gets along with most people around him who have different views. My point was that we can have very different views or beliefs and still be friendly and professional like Tebow appears to be.

If we are only going to get along with people that agree with us then that’s not saying much. Debating views in a civil tone with those who we vehemently disagree with is the real test.

As an example, some of my friends are very pro-choice and others pro-life. Most accept the differences and get along just fine. They don’t have to respect the other person’s view to respect the person’s right to think for themselves.

Louis
12-12-2011, 11:39 PM
As an example, some of my friends are very pro-choice and others pro-life. Most accept the differences and get along just fine. They don’t have to respect the other person’s view to respect the person’s right to think for themselves.

Agreed.

My best cycling buddy has political, social, economic and religious beliefs that are usually diametrically opposed to mine, but that doesn't prevent us from riding may fun miles together.

Louis

Volant
12-13-2011, 12:05 AM
the golden rule negates context, or at least, supersedes anyone else's context with one's 'own'. treating people as we wish to be treated assumes that they want to be treated like we do. pretty sure that wouldn't work in a lot of places.

EXACTLY! What if you're a masochist?? :rolleyes:

Bob Ross
12-13-2011, 08:55 AM
treating people as we wish to be treated assumes that they want to be treated like we do.

Perhaps...but treating people as we wish to be treated also assumes that people are going to treat us like we treat them. It's a gamble.

Idris Icabod
12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Perhaps the problem with forums is you folks type too darn fast. There are times that I start to draft a reply to something that I strongly disagree with, but I wasn't taught how to type at school, so by the time I one finger the terse reply I've calmed down and thought better of it.
I therefore recommend that all argumentative replies be typed 'Idris-style' with one finger allowing the count-to-10 rule to be properly applied.

ergott
12-13-2011, 09:37 AM
It's no wonder why good people left/leave this place.

:crap:

Joachim
12-13-2011, 10:12 AM
After reading another few posts this morning I think the vibe on the forum has changed in the past week or two. Defintely more tense than usual. Just my personal observation.

spiderman
12-13-2011, 10:28 AM
After reading another few posts this morning I think the vibe on the forum has changed in the past week or two. Defintely more tense than usual. Just my personal observation.

as indoor riding increases
irritability increases exponentially

Kirk Pacenti
12-13-2011, 10:41 AM
There is no downside to treating others with kindness, dignity and respect.

Cheers,
KP

William
12-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Cheers,
KP

:beer: yer leg!!

William :D

tannhauser
12-13-2011, 11:09 AM

Cheers,
KP

Those are nice sentiments.

giverdada
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
probably drives everyone nuts. not riding drives me more nuts though, so hopefully i can avoid typing through that insanity. my brother was telling me about some e-mail contact he'd had with a seller on craigslist, and we had a good laugh about how blatantly rude people are when they're typing. it's all virtual, right? like killing and bombing people in video games? like everything you do in grand theft auto (the game)? i wonder if people would be so _______ in person, over their handlebars, face to face... this is the season of giving, right? give goodness!

William
12-13-2011, 11:20 AM
probably drives everyone nuts. not riding drives me more nuts though, so hopefully i can avoid typing through that insanity. my brother was telling me about some e-mail contact he'd had with a seller on craigslist, and we had a good laugh about how blatantly rude people are when they're typing. it's all virtual, right? like killing and bombing people in video games? like everything you do in grand theft auto (the game)? i wonder if people would be so _______ in person, over their handlebars, face to face... this is the season of giving, right? give goodness!

I literally fight with people almost everyday. I couldn't feel happier! :banana:

William
PS: Great stress reliever!

Louis
12-13-2011, 01:30 PM
It's no wonder why good people left/leave this place.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who misses Viper and Swoop. :p

William
12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who misses Viper and Swoop. :p

Yes and no. Or is that no and yes? :confused:

:D

William

Fixed
12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
ignore is on till spring
cheers :beer:

wooly
12-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Dang - I've been a absent for the last week and a half (since my crash!). Mostly due to work but it's finally winding down. Just got a PM from a forum friend that he's leaving this place for good due to the change in tone on this board. I've noticed it too. More subtly over the last 6-12 months and definitely more overtly over the last month.

It's truly disappointing. I'm a member of a lot of the cycling forums but I've chosen to spend most of my time here due to the good folks that frequent it.

I'd hate to have this place turn into something other than a pretty special place, even if it's in the cyber-sphere. But I'm perplexed as to how we can maintain what we've had. Do we tell folks to keep the downer tone off the site? Do we ignore it? Do we ask the mods to deal with it?

I'm willing to give it time and give folks the benefit of the doubt but if we keep losing good folks it will be a bummer to have to look for a new "virtual" 'hood to hang at.

Frankwurst
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Cheers,
KP
Very well put. I couldn't agree more. It's not that tough of a concept to understand. Even for a village idiot like me. :beer: