PDA

View Full Version : NOS Mavic Cosmics cracks.

William
08-04-2005, 07:48 AM
I recently picked up a set of NOS Mavic Cosmic wheels:
I was cleaning up the bike after my ride on Tuesday and noticed that there were some cracks about a 1/4" long about 1/8" to 1/4" below 5 of the spoke holes on the drive side of the rim. I don't have too many miles on these. So much for them supposedly being a "heavy Duty" rim for me. Mavic is going to take it back and replace it.

Anyone ever hear of this problem in Cosmics before?

Mean time I have a loner Mavic "K" on there. I Thought "COOL" at first, I'll see if it will hold up to me. But now with all the talk of destructing K's, I think it might just spontaneously combust if I'm not careful. ;)

William :)

bostondrunk
08-04-2005, 09:08 AM
I recently picked up a set of NOS Mavic Cosmic wheels:
I was cleaning up the bike after my ride on Tuesday and noticed that there were some cracks about a 1/4" long about 1/8" to 1/4" below 5 of the spoke holes on the drive side of the rim. I don't have too many miles on these. So much for them supposedly being a "heavy Duty" rim for me. Mavic is going to take it back and replace it.

Anyone ever hear of this problem in Cosmics before?

Mean time I have a loner Mavic "K" on there. I Thought "COOL" at first, I'll see if it will hold up to me. But now with all the talk of destructing K's, I think it might just spontaneously combust if I'm not careful. ;)

William :)

Willy, those Carbones have a 400 pound weight limit........;)

chrisroph
08-04-2005, 09:41 AM
W--Zinn recommends Ks. They have a general rep as a stout wheelset. If you ride it for a while, tell us what you think.

William
08-04-2005, 10:22 AM
W--Zinn recommends Ks. They have a general rep as a stout wheelset. If you ride it for a while, tell us what you think.

Will do. I won't try to purposely kill them but I'll run them through my usual paces....which seems to do the job fairly regularly. :rolleyes:

William ;)

TmcDet
08-04-2005, 10:25 AM
from my experience with Mavic's replacements you might get used to your loaner cause Mavic won't move very fast. I have been waiting for over a month on my replacement rim. When Mavic first said they would replace it they said it would be 2 weeks before they would be able to send a rim and after over a month they are still saying it will be 2 weeks, maybe some day they will send me a rim.

William
08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
from my experience with Mavic's replacements you might get used to your loaner cause Mavic won't move very fast. I have been waiting for over a month on my replacement rim. When Mavic first said they would replace it they said it would be 2 weeks before they would be able to send a rim and after over a month they are still saying it will be 2 weeks, maybe some day they will send me a rim.

I'm sorry you've been waiting so long. This will be interesting to see what happens. My Lbs is saying that I should get it back in about a week or so. We shall see.

William

BdaGhisallo
08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Are they cosmic carbones? If so, and the crack is in the "carbon", then don't worry about it. That is just a aerodymanic fairing and is not structural. It is bonded to the alu rim but has no interface with the spokes.

If it is another type of cosmic disregard what I have just said.

William
08-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Are they cosmic carbones? If so, and the crack is in the "carbon", then don't worry about it. That is just a aerodymanic fairing and is not structural. It is bonded to the alu rim but has no interface with the spokes.

If it is another type of cosmic disregard what I have just said.

Thank you for your reply....what you have just said has been disregarded. ;)

William

erty65
08-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Willy, those Carbones have a 400 pound weight limit........;)

Mavic recommends that the total weight of the rider and his/her equipment (not including the bike) does not exceed the values below:

Road and Asphalt wheels: 100 kg. (http://www.tech.mavic.com/uk/sources/Produits/Piste/GalRouePiste/ConditionsOfUseOfaRim_05.pdf)

Username: mavic-com
Password: dealer

Road wheels (http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod?lg=uk)

William
08-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Mavic recommends that the total weight of the rider and his/her equipment (not including the bike) does not exceed the values below:

Road and Asphalt wheels: 100 kg. (http://www.tech.mavic.com/uk/sources/Produits/Piste/GalRouePiste/ConditionsOfUseOfaRim_05.pdf)

Username: mavic-com
Password: dealer

Road wheels (http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod?lg=uk)

Interesting.
In all the shops I've been in and talked wheels, most steering me toward Mavics, not one has ever brought that up.

William