PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Gap single track with my Moots PX RSL

pzung
12-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Finished building my latest Moots PX RSL, put on clincher HED Ardennes FR with 35c tires. I was eager to try riding this new combination in nearby Saratoga Gap (single track trails at ~2500 ft elevation) where only CX MTB people hang out. I survived the ordeal. Very thrilling. I thought I would share the nice scenery with you.

Cat3roadracer
12-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Very nice. More pictures of the bike please.

pzung
12-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Very nice. More pictures of the bike please.

OK. Here they come.

xjoex
12-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Looks like an awesome ride!

-Joe

rnhood
12-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Outstanding looking bike. No body builds them quite like Moots! Nice pictures.

Cat3roadracer
12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Wow! That is impressive. I have the younger brother coming this week. Very excited.

foo_fighter
12-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Nice. It's amazing what you can ride on a dirt road or cx bike. I've taken my cx bike through saratoga gap, stevens canyon, fremont older, arastradero. Pretty everywhere except for some of the the gnarlier single track like in soquel or skeggs.

Steve in SLO
12-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Great looking bike, and my favorite way to use it...on a trail where everyone thinks you're crazy for not riding a FS MTB. It's fun to pass them all going uphill.

pzung
12-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I regret not putting on the extra option for disc brakes. I think I could have used some extra braking power in obstacle avoidance maneuvers. There were 6 down logs at the trail yesterday, so I had plenty of exercise in dismounting and mounting.

pzung
12-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Great looking bike, and my favorite way to use it...on a trail where everyone thinks you're crazy for not riding a FS MTB. It's fun to pass them all going uphill.

Steve in SLO. I totally agree with you. What a nice bike+view you got there! Where is this?

pzung
12-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow! That is impressive. I have the younger brother coming this week. Very excited.

Please post pictures when you are done. What components are you planning to use? It took me about 4 months to gather everything.

Steve in SLO
12-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Steve in SLO. I totally agree with you. What a nice bike+view you got there! Where is this?

Thanks!
View 2000' up overlooking Morro Bay, CA.

River
12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
What 35 tires are your running on your RSL?

wingnut
12-11-2011, 11:31 PM

With the guys I ride my FS MTB with, it's the downhill where all the fun is at for them! These are the guys in full body armor at Northstar so the perspective is a little different. :)

sevencyclist
12-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Saratoga Gap is a great spot to ride. I love linking the Grizzly Flats across with it and come back up to the Gap singletracks via Table Mountain/Charcoal Road. Would love to see your bike out there some day.

benitosan1972
12-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Table Mtn, Indian Mtn, and Charcoal Rd SUCK for CX bikes with 46/36 & 12/25 like mine, haha. Especially in the summertime, scorching heat. My favorites in the South Bay for CX are Sierra Azul/Dogmeat, St Josephs/Lexington, Almaden/Quicksilver, Fremont Older/Stevens Creek, Montebello to Page Mill, Corte Madera/Purissma Creek, Skyline/Russian/Long Ridge, Alpine Road, Arastradero, Waterdog Lake, Montara Mtn, San Bruno Mtn, GG Park, Presidio, etc. The toughest climbs I've ever done on a CX are Mockingbird Hill in Almaden, Priest Rock in Los Gatos, Charcoal Road in Saratoga, Table Mtn in Palo Alto, and Windy Hill to Skyline = 25% for 5 miles, ouch

pdmtong
12-12-2011, 01:46 AM
notice the shaped top tube...completely bad-ass...

pzung
12-12-2011, 09:31 AM
What 35 tires are your running on your RSL?

River,
Went to Sports Basement and got the cheapest 35c that could fit into these rims. I think they were Continental Cyclocross Speed.

pzung
12-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Table Mtn, Indian Mtn, and Charcoal Rd SUCK for CX bikes with 46/36 & 12/25 like mine, haha. Especially in the summertime, scorching heat. My favorites in the South Bay for CX are Sierra Azul/Dogmeat, St Josephs/Lexington, Almaden/Quicksilver, Fremont Older/Stevens Creek, Montebello to Page Mill, Corte Madera/Purissma Creek, Skyline/Russian/Long Ridge, Alpine Road, Arastradero, Waterdog Lake, Montara Mtn, San Bruno Mtn, GG Park, Presidio, etc. The toughest climbs I've ever done on a CX are Mockingbird Hill in Almaden, Priest Rock in Los Gatos, Charcoal Road in Saratoga, Table Mtn in Palo Alto, and Windy Hill to Skyline = 25% for 5 miles, ouch

Benitosan1972. Wow! Looks like you have been around lots of trails.

benitosan1972
12-12-2011, 11:42 AM
I grew up mountain biking in the area. Used to go out every day to find new trails to shred & conquer. But then I got old, and lost my health insurance, a few crashes later, and some $$$$ ER bills, I gave it up, and went to road/track riding. I still dabble a bit in the area with my CX, which is fine for the climbing & singletrack, but then you don't get the thrill of the downhill BOMBING BACK DOWN THE MOUNTAIN!!! :crap:

I keep it safe these days with rides around Mt Hamilton, Skyline Boulevard, and the occasional jaunt across the GG Bridge ;)