PDA

View Full Version : beautiful saturday ride..anyone?

giverdada
12-10-2011, 03:28 PM
finally got my morning obligations cleared away and managed to get out at about one this afternoon. gorgeous sunshine. amazing, AMAZING bike (carl strong custom blend), easygoing base miles. in no time and lots of fun, i got in the time and didn't lose my mind staying on the rollers staring at a blank kitchen wall. i love bikes. :hello:

rugbysecondrow
12-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Woke up
a cup of coffee
45 minute ride
breakfast and coffee out with friends
then 45 minute ride.

Great way to start the day.

Tonight...whiskey.

Great way to finish the day.

oliver1850
12-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Good for you guys. Sun is out today, we've hit our peak of 25 degrees. I'm not well enough acclimated to the cold yet to want to ride in those temps. First real cold temps of the year here, house is down to 60.

CaptStash
12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Woke up
a cup of coffee
45 minute ride
breakfast and coffee out with friends
then 45 minute ride.

Great way to start the day.

Tonight...whiskey.

Great way to finish the day.

I like how you think!

Wento out with a friend mid-day for some easy base miles as well. Weather was coldish (about 35) and spitting drizzle/rain - the typical Seattle stuff. We tried out a new local path and wound up like tow kids just our riding bikes. We went exploring. Had a fun day. Now I'm home doing chores.

Whiskey tonight sounds perfect.

Stash....

Jack Brunk
12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Last XC off road race today, 20 miles and 2600 feet of climbing. Hoping for a sub 2 hour ride time and came in at 1 hour and forty minutes. Bike ride great and the Enve UST tubeless 29er wheels are the best set of wheels I've ever had built. They add 2 inches of suspension and the stiffness is unreal. Had a good day.

Thanks again Eric.

mapleleafs-13
12-10-2011, 05:59 PM
too cold here in toronto, it's hockey season for me now, put all the bikes away in the house and got the hockey equipment out!

cuda2k
12-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Morning temps were low 30's, high 20's, opted to wait for the afternoon that many in the club were opting to do instead. Glad I did. Light winds, low 50's, great company, great ride on the Serotta. Can't ask for much more than that in the second week of December. 45mi at an easy 16.5 avg with a nice final surge back into town. Good to be back after a couple weeks of crappy weather.

xjoex
12-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Got in some miles in the cold. But the sun was shining and the river looked cool.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rSXFdiP_5x4/TuP3HVrcHcI/AAAAAAAAEgY/GhA2rXA0Rqo/s720/IMG_3591.JPG

-Joe

JD Smith
12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Yep, low to mid 60's and all sun. Working in retail, I very rarely get a Saturday off, so today was an exceptional treat. I was expecting more traffic from holiday shoppers, but it was light. In three hours I explored a new twist on an old route and was rewarded. The wind didn't even bother me. One of those rare days when you enjoy feeling like a stud and just big ring cruising with the tail wind, and kinda appreciate being able to push it into the headwind.

Got home feeling great, not sweaty, overheated and light headed, not frozen and stiff, but ready to go from the pleasure of riding to the pleasure of sitting, fully justified. One Arby's roast beef with curly fries, a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice cream and a can of Cherry Coke and I'm ready for a nap filled with some twisted dreams. Probably watch a few cycling videos tonight, do some laundry, and guess what? I got tomorrow off too!!
I really miss my college days when this would be par for the course year round.

benitosan1972
12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Low-60's in San Jose today.
Rode 60 miles, climbed almost 4000 feet.
Only needed arm/knee warmers for the start, then it warmed up and I was able to ride in just a S/S jersey & bibs... yeah, be jealous! I think I might have gotten sunburned, too? :banana:

fogrider
12-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Low-60's in San Jose today.
Rode 60 miles, climbed almost 4000 feet.
Only needed arm/knee warmers for the start, then it warmed up and I was able to ride in just a S/S jersey & bibs... yeah, be jealous! I think I might have gotten sunburned, too? :banana:
4k of climbing! Hamilton or Santa Cruz mountains? I did a short run out to muir woods and climbing the marin headlands. now that's a nice little climb with great views! there were lots of people out on their bikes today.

Ti Designs
12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Showed up at the Ride Studio Cafe for the K.I.T. ride. K.I.T. stands for Keep It Tight, a riding group and a philosophy I can't say enough good things about. They all have lives, obligations, significant others and in many cases children. Just the same, they put aside a few hours to ride - it's their time, they know they need to be back at a given time, thus the name, Keep It Tight. In a world of dwindling group rides 'cause nobody has the time, it's refreshing.

www.ikeepittight.com

Steve in SLO
12-10-2011, 09:21 PM
40 degrees in SLO this AM as I headed out through the vineyards wishing I had snapped a few autumn pics of the vines before the freezes turned the leaves brown.
I was out for a slow spin as I had ridden 35 miles with 3500' of climbing yesterday, but it was not to be. I turned onto the main vineyard road and saw a rider about 200 yards behind me. As I rode along, I noticed he was closing the gap so I decided to turn it up a bit as I climbed a roller. I got more gap, but he pulled it back as we hit a flat. Another roller, more gap, then he pulled it back. I finally hit the gas on a longer roller and left him pretty far back. 6+ miles of cat and mouse and I was past my 'easy spin' plan. He turned off soon after--funny, I probably know him. I kept riding pretty hard and felt good. The rest of the ride was up to a reservoir with frost on the road and crisp temps but warm sun, then back home. Good ride.

thwart
12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
24 degrees with a stiff, biting wind today... rollers in the garage, thank you.

Tomorrow it'll heat up to a balmy 38 so hope to ride the roads.

BumbleBeeDave
12-10-2011, 09:23 PM
. . . and I got in 20 this afternoon, just went out on the bike trail. It put me over 3600 for the year. After last year's debacle with working at the gym till July, then breaking my damn neck in August, to have that much mileage feels really good!

I don't like the cold but we have been so lucky this fall (winter!) so far. Almost every weekend has been sunny and dry. It's just too hard to waste it when you look out the window and it looks like that!

BBD

rwsaunders
12-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I missed riding last weekend with a little chest cold so I went out today for a solo 35 miler, as the usual suspects stayed home. A sunny 30 degrees with dry roads made for a decent ride.

DavidR
12-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Woke up to the 20's and opted to go out in the late afternoon. Hour and a half on the 29er with temps in the upper 30's. Had a great ride!

Peter B
12-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Annual fall wine tour. Rode about 30 miles fixed in the Placer County foothills with a group of friends and strung together 5 wineries for a bit of tasting. Thai food for post-ride nourishment. Beautiful day in the mid-50's.

coelacant
12-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Paterson Pass, still as hard as I remember, there used to be an 'Oh my Gawd' sign pained on the road approaching the last pitch from the east (last photo), sorry for the crappy phone shots.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6490462795_9e8207fc93_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7019/6490462883_6e4af40c43_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6490463035_8b45ff053d_b.jpg

KF9YR
12-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Put up Christmas lights with my 11 yr old daughter this morning.

It was in the high 60's this afternoon and she wanted to go on a ride with me,

I picked up a 24 inch Trek road bike for her a month ago and she is getting used to the shifters (Shimano Tiagra).

We rode 14 miles or so, she complained a little on the way up a few of the little hills but there was a 1.5 mile 1% or so downhill on the way home that she had a blast on. She really liked cruising along at 18 and I explained that was the reward you get after climbing.

Tomorrow evening our club is getting together to ride through some of the local neighborhoods and look at the Christmas lights, both of my children want to go so I'm looking forward to that ride too.

I enjoy getting together with my buddies and hammering for a few hours but it doesn't beat doing something I love with my kids.

Tim Porter
12-11-2011, 07:46 AM
39 windy and sunny degrees plus my brand new Kirk on its first real ride for about 2 hours:

http://gallery.me.com/timporter1/100285/IMG_1137/web.jpg?ver=13235535330001

Ti Designs
12-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Paterson Pass, still as hard as I remember, there used to be an 'Oh my Gawd' sign pained on the road approaching the last pitch from the east (last photo), sorry for the crappy phone shots.

Paterson pass where??? I grew up near Paterson NJ, I'm pretty sure it's not there. Looks nice, but not on a fixed gear...

Peter B
12-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Near Livermore, CA. This one comes about 80 miles into Devil Mountain Double. It's the warm-up for Mines Road and the back side of Mt. Hamilton. 20k' climbing all in for that little ride.

A pal of mine has finished it fixed. Twice.