PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Training Tire?

FunkyPorcini
08-03-2005, 09:23 PM
What is your favorite bomb-proof training/around town tire?

Clinchers
23 and under

I have been using Michy Axial Pro's for a while and currently have not had one flat on the set I'm about to retire. I'm happy with them but just want to try something new and they're pretty sliced up so I don't want to run them much longer.

saab2000
08-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I use Veloflex. Some people do not have good luck with them, but I do. They do not seem to attract too much grit. The Criterium tubulars have been even better.

I have been training on them all summer and the tread is starting to wear on the rear and I have not had any flats yet. Knocking very hard on the available wood.

dirtdigger88
08-03-2005, 10:11 PM
I think the Vittoria Open Corsas are a nice tire- I did side by side comparison to the clincher and the tubbie version of the same- The tubbie is better- but not by as much as you would would think

Jason

dave thompson
08-03-2005, 10:32 PM
I think the Vittoria Open Corsas are a nice tire- I did side by side comparison to the clincher and the tubbie version of the same- The tubbie is better- but not by as much as you would would think

Jason
I like the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX too. Very nice ride and durable.

cyclesberuff
08-03-2005, 10:45 PM
I was a DC courrier for 15 years the performance kevlar belted tire takes alot of abuse.thats a training tire that gets decent milage, for weekend rides i go to vitorria team pro techno twins. I would rather deal with kevlar than flats. Just my opinion

christian
08-03-2005, 11:07 PM
I use Michelin Dynamics. $10-12 and just fine for training tires.

BTW, to the guy who uses Veloflex - I assume your water bottles are filled with Roederer Cristal? Hot damn, them's some pricy tires for training rubber.

- Christian

Ozz
08-03-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm liking the new Michelin ProRace2's....

saab2000
08-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I am the guy who uses Veloflex. I find expensive tires last longer and ride nicer than cheap, crappy tires.

But I will also admit to being a bit of a bike snob. I use Record when I know that functionally Chorus is identical.

Whatever floats your boat. But I dig my fancy stuff. Have fun riding. My fancy stuff has never stopped me from getting dropped. I just look good when I am getting dropped!! :beer:

Matt Barkley
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
2nd the Veloflexes - sometimes I have a Mr.Tuffy in the rear - as well as the front. I used to like Michelin the Supercomp HD, or HILITE. Now I get no love from Michelins, just flats. This is my most favarite reply-to threads. Harp, Stella Artois, Spaten. :beer: -Matt

zank
08-03-2005, 11:17 PM
I just got a set of Deda's new Giro d'Italia clinchers. These tires roll really nice compared to the Conti Force/Attack combo I was running before. I also have a set of Deda's Milano - San Remos coming, which is the lower cost clincher. I will try them and let you know, as this would likely make a better training tire due to the lower cost. The Giro's seem to be holding up really well, but I only have about 300 miles on them. Certainly a very nice clincher race tire. I am looking forward to getting my hands on the tubs.

cycleman_21
08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
I have not tried yet, but would'nt 25s be better for training?
And more bombproof?
And more comfortable?...unless they just wont fit.

Not gonna shell out the cash just yet, but I'm thinking of picking some up over the winter, ugh winter :p and checking this theory out for myself, seems only logical.

RC

bcm119
08-03-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm liking the new Michelin ProRace2's....

I agree. They are much better than the older ProRaces. Less cuts, stickier, and equal tread wear. I've had 1 flat in 2100 miles so far. I get about 2500 - 3k out of a rear.

As for training on cheap tires, I just can't stand the dead feel of them. I've never tried the Dynamics, but so far I haven't found a lively, light tire for under $30. "Training" is a relative word in cycling... call it what you will, but for me its as much enjoyment as it is training, so i like to always ride on decent rubber.

Conti 4-seasons for winter.

Jeff N.
08-03-2005, 11:42 PM
1. Specialized Mondo S-Works ( my current favorite all-arounder.)130psi max.
2. Michelin Pro Race-2's.

csb
08-03-2005, 11:53 PM
- sometimes I have a Mr.Tuffy in the rear -

dsimon
08-04-2005, 12:10 AM
im cheap i like the serfas tires with fps(flat protection system) or conti gatorz there only 27 a piece at performance

Dr. Doofus
08-04-2005, 06:28 AM
vittoria rubino pros

race on them too

(cheap, cheap doof)

they're fine

no flats since august 2003

if doof doesn't finish in the points, the tires aren't to blame

Kevin
08-04-2005, 06:39 AM
I like the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX too. Very nice ride and durable.

Me too.

Kevin

keno
08-04-2005, 06:53 AM
While I like to use Veloflex and Michelin Pro as tires of choice, I had problems with flats last year. Over the winter and early spring while roads were crappy I got a pair of Conti Ultragatorskins and did 2,000 miles without incident and thought they rode pretty well. Then again, I'm not training for anything; like Coach Bob, just getting in shape for life. Proper identification of last reference gets an "attaboy" and a special prize, my mood depending and it has sucked lately owing to our new ambient temperature here in scenic NJ.

I've got Veloflex Paves on the new Nimbles for the time being. It's fun time. So far, no problems.

christian, BTW I buy the Paves and the Pros from Danny in Somerville, NJ, for $32 per. critusa@aol.com What's not to like? I've sent others on this forum to him and they seem pleased.

keno

dirtdigger88
08-04-2005, 07:39 AM
- sometimes I have a Mr.Tuffy in the rear - This is my most favarite:beer: -Matt

matt, matt, matt. . . Gay Vague? :D

Jason

Too Tall
08-04-2005, 08:06 AM
SMACK SMACK SMACK (that's for Jason) ...and just when we thought it was safe to go in the water ;)

First, clinchers suc$

I've been riding 40+ miles round trip 4 days a week into Washington, DC over crappy roads and usually a few miles of dirt using tubulars. Yes, tubulars. I pop tires about 1/2 as often as when I was running clinchers and have great luck with good old Continental Sprinters...which wear like iron and I can find them for $30 on sale. My less fav. commuting tubular is the TUFO Elite road...which does not have a great ride and I can't repair it BUT I can't wear the current set out!!! If they last until threadbare I'll take pic.s to prove it. Next down the list are the nearly indestructable Clemente Strada TTs. I get these budget tubulars at $50 for three!!! They ride similar to a sprinter if you don't overinflate and at that price who cares if they pop?

When I was commuting on clinchers (shudder) my fav. is the Veredestine "Race" tire. A really decent ride and for not alot of gelt ;)

victoryfactory
08-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Check out the Vredestein Fortezza that performance bike
seems to always have on sale for around 23 bucks

Pro:
They are without doubt the toughest tires I have ever used, EVER!
I rode one pair for the whole season last year, and they don't get those
little cuts that the Michelins seem to develop. Also very high pressure rating.

Con: they only have the blue ones on sale, the black ones go for 45 bucks
Also they are not super light, but we are talking trainig tires, no?

VF

DRZRM
08-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I have to second VF on the Vredestein Fortezza (though he may only like 'em because they match his initials). With the 20% off coupon from performance they are under 20 bucks each (I just ordered a backup set) and they wear well.

Just my $.02.

FunkyPorcini
08-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the input.

Does anybody use Hutchinsons? It's one of those tires that comes spec'ed on a lot of bikes and they have quite a few in the line to sell but nobody ever talks about them.

csb
08-04-2005, 10:22 AM
http://www.mcmillencenter.org/images/Tuffy%20Tooth.jpg

bostondrunk
08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
conti sprinter tubulars!
I don't get how so many of you get 3 flats in one ride when on tubies.......................... :confused:

Fixed
08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Inner city ride lots of glass I use conti 1000-28's $8.00 . Fast trainng rides or race conti sprinters.Cheers

tch
08-04-2005, 12:45 PM
I bought 4 last year on closeout from Perfomance/Nashbar for 22.95 each. Not a lot for a guy who gets about 4,000 miles from a set. To my unrefined tastes they ride just as well as the Veloflex Pave, which I rode for two cycles. I'm another guy for whom the experience is the thing -- I can't imagine riding clunkers just to save $20 total. And by the way -- either some of you ride a LOT further a year than I do, or you wear tires a LOT faster. I get through most of a season on one set. Whassup with you?

Fixed
08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I know rich guys who when they get a flat they get new tires and they say Fixed do want this old tire ? I say sure and, I can get a year out of them.Cheers

victoryfactory
08-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Nashbar is having a "blowout" sale

VF

dirtdigger88
08-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Rivendell has Rolly Pollys back in stock :banana:

Jason

huey
08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Specialized armadillos. Heavy, flat proof, and wear resonably well. When they are done I go and return them for a new pair. Specialized has there 100% satisafaction guarantee on tires.

huey

ric426
08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I just put a pair of Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance's on. They were on sale for $50 a pair at Nashbar and my other tires were shot, so what the heck. Turns out they roll pretty well and, with my limited experience, seem to ride well too. They were an absolute ***** to get on the rims though. Good thing Park makes tough tire levers.

weisan
08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
When they are done I go and return them for a new pair. ...100% satisafaction guarantee

Er...what do you mean??? :rolleyes:

Tailwinds
08-04-2005, 03:07 PM
I never skimp on tires. No way, not when my rides in CO consist of 40-50-mph descents. For me, a good training tire must first and foremost grip and handle well. A reasonable amount of durability is important, too, b/c I don't want a blowout. Pro Race's work great for me, then again I am a lightweight rider, and the roads I ride on are good. I get about 3k miles out of 'em.

My husband was talking to a non-cyclist, and this guy was asking how we could be confident going so fast downhill on such tiny contact patches. My husband explained how we don't buy $10 el-cheapo tires from Wal-Mart and that a good set of tires might retail for $100. The non-cyclist was blown away, of course.

marle
08-04-2005, 03:30 PM
So far so good on the Conti GP 3000.

I unfortunately have not had much luck with Vittoria Open Corsa tires due to cuts and bad NY roads.

Russ
08-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I am the guy who uses Veloflex. I find expensive tires last longer and ride nicer than cheap, crappy tires.

But I will also admit to being a bit of a bike snob. I use Record when I know that functionally Chorus is identical.

Whatever floats your boat. But I dig my fancy stuff. Have fun riding. My fancy stuff has never stopped me from getting dropped. I just look good when I am getting dropped!!

What Saab said!

And another vote for Veloflexes... Although here in the big city of Miami, some roads are full of crap, and I have had a couple of flats this year. I would not trade my Veloflex for nuting!

ClutchCargo
08-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I've got Veloflex Paves on the new Nimbles for the time being. It's fun time. So far, no problems.

christian, BTW I buy the Paves and the Pros from Danny in Somerville, NJ, for $32 per. critusa@aol.com What's not to like? I've sent others on this forum to him and they seem pleased.

keno[/QUOTE]

thanks, Keno. $32 for Paves is a darn good deal; great tires -- they're not the beefiest tire out there, but that's why I like 'em. very nice ride. (note, however, they tell you in the packaging they're good for about 1,800 miles.) and on the gnarly roads of winter and early Spring you're taking some chances with flats. specialized turbos are pretty beefy and not too bad for road feel.

BTW -- good luck to any PanMass riders out there - see you in P'town! :beer:

BumpyintheBurgh
08-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Anything in Red for day, Black for evening....and Purple for the weekend.

sfscott
08-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Not sure what the exact name is but it has a clincher bead on a tubular type tire. Spec'd to ride on 200+psi.

Any experiences?

dirtdigger88
08-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Not sure what the exact name is but it has a clincher bead on a tubular type tire. Spec'd to ride on 200+psi.

Any experiences?

its the worst of both worlds

Jason

christian
08-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Keno - you the man. That is an amazing price. I'll be rockin' Veloflexes too now! Thanks!

- Christian

huey
08-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Weisan

Specialized will warranty any tire if you are not happy with the perforamnce of that tire. They will switch it out for another tire. Armadillos are notorious for the beads pulling away from the sidewall. Over the course of two years my former employer warrantied about 60 armadillos for this problem. Specialized wants everyone on their tires.

huey

weisan
08-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Weisan

Specialized will warranty any tire if you are not happy with the perforamnce of that tire. They will switch it out for another tire. Armadillos are notorious for the beads pulling away from the sidewall. Over the course of two years my former employer warrantied about 60 armadillos for this problem. Specialized wants everyone on their tires.

huey

Thanks for the info, Huey.

froze
08-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Bombproof? When you say bombproof I'm thinking the most flat resistent tire, that would be the Specialize Armadillo...a heavy (370grms) tire. BUT you can always train/commute on the Armadillo and then for races switch to a lighter tire. When I lived in So. Calif. Mojave desert area flats from goatheads and thistles were a big problem and the Armadillo was the only tire I found that prevented all flats resulting from puncture or tire damage. Now that I live in a less severe tire attack area I have switched to Specialize Mundo tires that still have excellent flat protection (better then the Conti Gatorskin both in tread and sidewall) and the weight is only 220grms.

dbrk
08-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Gosh, all you skinny tire guys.

I have a pair of perfectly excellent condition (yes, mounted and ridden but all the tread is there) of Veloflex Pave, black with the gum walls, that's two for $40 and that will include the postage if you are in the lower48. Drop me a line.

I like Conti 2000 kevlars: cheap, come in 28s, cheap, slick, look nice. I pay about $15 a tire usually. Otherwise I'm a RolyPoly or Avocet 32c guy.

dbrk

shaq-d
08-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Does anybody use Hutchinsons? It's one of those tires that comes spec'ed on a lot of bikes and they have quite a few in the line to sell but nobody ever talks about them.

hutchinson carbon comps are great tires, felt great. they're racing tires and soft, tho, so will wear out within a few thousand km's. didn't have any flatting issues.

sd

Fixed
08-04-2005, 10:01 PM
any tire that's not flat.Cheers

FunkyPorcini
08-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Just picked up a couple Vredestein Fortezza's from Nashbar for less than $30 total. 35% off sure is nice.