PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my wheels?

Bradford
08-03-2005, 07:04 PM
OK, here are the facts:

I weigh 215, ride recreationally and with fast group rides, and never race. I love distance, but more often than not all I can squeeze in are short rides.

For two years, I’ve been using a pair of CXP 33s, DA hubs, 36 double butted spokes, built by Peter White and they are still in great shape.

When I bought my Legend, it had Open Pros, DA hubs, 32 spokes, straight gauge, built by Excel. I thought I’d give them a try, so I’ve been swapping the two wheel sets during the year.

After a little over a hundred miles, the OPs were out of true. I brought them to my lbs and the trued up the wheels, including stressing them and re-truing them. 150 miles later, they are out of true again.

I’m sure some of you are ready to respond that the wheels should be fine (as did my lbs mechanic), but reality proves that they are not. They just can’t stand up to my size. It is possible that Excel does not build a good enough wheel, it is possible that there are not enough spokes, it is possible that OPs are not strong enough. I’m not sure which one it is.

I’m deciding between selling them to a more normal-sized cyclist, having the hubs re-built with Velocity Aeroheads, or giving them another try. Whadaya think?

Comments always appreciated. I’m married, so getting more tail than Sinatra is not something I’m interested it, I just need some good wheels.

Fixed
08-03-2005, 08:16 PM
O

I’m married, so getting more tail than Sinatra is not something I’m interested it, I just need some good wheels.
That didn't stop old blue eyes. Sell them and start over try Joe Young's DT wheels that's what I'm gettin when I save up enough.cos the man told me they were bad... Cheers :cool:

dirtdigger88
08-03-2005, 08:18 PM
I bet I know where you could get some K's cheap :D

Jason

saab2000
08-03-2005, 08:32 PM
If you use the Velocity rims you MUST MUST MUST get the OCR for the rear. It is the way to go.

BTW, the requirement for tail does not change when you get married. Just make sure you get it at home. And having a wife who puts up with cycling is very valuable. I speak from experience on both points. No questions please, ask my lawyer.

Fixed
08-03-2005, 08:37 PM
If you use the Velocity rims you MUST MUST MUST get the OCR for the rear. It is the way to go.

BTW, the requirement for tail does not change when you get married. Just make sure you get it at home. And having a wife who puts up with cycling is very valuable. I speak from experience on both points. No questions please, ask my lawyer.
I bet saab is the one guy here that gets more than ol blue eyes used to get. :beer: Cheers

saab2000
08-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Mr. Fixed,

Well, remembering that this is a family forum, let's just say that the reputation of the airline industry is grossly exaggerated. Usually.

ergott
08-03-2005, 10:09 PM
The first wheelset you mentioned (CXP 33) is much more appropriate for your needs. It has the right spoke count for you and has double butted spokes which is better in the long run.

Jeff N.
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM
32 spokes are all you need. If they're laced 3-cross, it sounds like maybe they're not being trued properly. Take 'em to another shop to have then re-trued/re-tensioned and see what happens. Jeez, I weigh more than you and three-crossed OP's,32 hole,14/15/14's, laced to DA-10 hubs, have presented zero problem. They were built by EXCEL too! Jeff N.

keno
08-04-2005, 05:20 AM
I dunno nuthin', but saw this and your post came to mind.

http://classifieds.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Road&website=RoadbikeReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=54346&query=retrieval

keno

William
08-04-2005, 06:21 AM
What ever set you get, let me ride them first. If they hold up under me, You got a good set of wheels there. ;)

William

Too Tall
08-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Bradford, your weight and the basic design you described is not a problem if the wheels were built properly. Apparently, they are not. Couple thoughts on this. First, it is worth fixing the wheelset since I believe you deserve it :) CXP33 wheelset while sturdy as all get out will ride like a brick by comparision. You've got the good stuff (OPs, DA, 3x X 32) let's get it straightened out and enjoy it. Who can direct the man to a really good wheelbuilder in his local?

Dekonick
08-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I have 3k miles on a set of velocity arrowhead (with offset rear) and chorus hubs - they are great.

I also have a new set of OP's on record hubs (factory built as I doubt Performance hand builds wheels) and they are holding up just fine. Both are 32 spoke and I am (at the moment) one big boy at 210lbs. 300 miles with these so far and they are true.

Something doesn't sound right with your wheels - have em rebuild them.

TmcDet
08-04-2005, 10:33 AM
I know what every one says about the open pros but I have gone thru 2 open pro rims and 3 completely new rebuilds of the open pros by different people and they still do not hold up for me. I have switched to the arrowhead offsets and like them so far, but I only have about 300 miles on them so can't really speak for durability yet.