PDA

View Full Version : Fitters in Seattle

Larry D
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Good afternoon,

I have a friend in Seattle who is looking for a good fitter and shop to deal with. What better well of information for delve into than this forum, so if there are any recommendations you have, please let me know?

Thank you for the assistance.

Ozz
08-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I've never been fit by any of these shops, but have been to all of them, and here are my impressions...

Elliott Bay Bicycles (home of Davidson Bicycles) Talk to Bill or Bob...this is the shop I choose to service my bike (soon to be bikes).

Il Vecchio - keeps odd hours, shop is kind of a hobby for George, but he knows his stuff. Carries Pegoretti, Landshark, and Fondriest...I think you can order Singers thru them also....

Gregg's - The big megachain (3-4 locations?) in these parts...kind of hit and miss IMHO. They are the local Serotta dealer....I headed to Portland to get fit for a Serotta....not cuz of the fitters, just cuz I was peeved at their mechanics. Stick with the Greenlake store and you might have better luck than I did. The new manager at the Bellevue store seems OK, tends to push Sevens though cuz he has one.

Sammamish Valley Cycles - seem OK, a buddy bought a Quintana Roo Tri bike there...no idea how good the fitting was...he seemed to like it, but he knew what he wanted.

Ti Cycles - have not been there since they moved to the U-District/U-Village area many years ago...they build nice bikes though.

Hope this helps.....

andy mac
08-03-2005, 03:27 PM
i had a great experience - good guy/great result with Michael Sylvester at the Bike Gallery in Portland. I believe he started the Serotta fit school back in the day.

http://www.bikegallery.com/content/Bike_Gallery/PROD-fitting.html

Oregon is also sales tax free.... well worth the drive down.

good luck,

andy.

Kirk Pacenti
08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
John Gallegher at Bike Fit will hook you up. He's been doing it for aout 15 years. www.materialpost.com

steven.k.davis@
08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Gregg's Greenlake Cycle in Seattle is a shop I would recommend for expert fitting. They are a certified Serotta dealer. Need I say more? Good luck.

Vancouverdave
08-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Michael Sylvester did start the Serotta fit program. He won't say stuff like this so I'll say it for him--he's kind of like the hillbilly and black musicians who got ripped off by record companies in the 1950's and saw other people cash in on their work.

Ozz
08-03-2005, 05:28 PM
John Gallegher at Bike Fit will hook you up. He's been doing it for aout 15 years. www.materialpost.com
He does not do just "fittings" anymore...you need to place a bike order with him...Seven, Parlee and Sycip....not a bad selection of bikes.

I too have heard good things about his work.

dave thompson
08-03-2005, 07:07 PM
i had a great experience - good guy/great result with Michael Sylvester at the Bike Gallery in Portland. I believe he started the Serotta fit school back in the day.

http://www.bikegallery.com/content/Bike_Gallery/PROD-fitting.html

Oregon is also sales tax free.... well worth the drive down.

good luck,

andy.
I too recommend Michael Sylvester at the Bike Gallery in Portland. It's only a 2-hour straight shot drive from Seattle, and I would daresay that Michael is one of the very best on the West Coast.

Orin
08-04-2005, 02:14 AM
I too recommend Michael Sylvester at the Bike Gallery in Portland. It's only a 2-hour straight shot drive from Seattle, and I would daresay that Michael is one of the very best on the West Coast.

2 hours? Perhaps at 90 mph at 3am on a Sunday.

Orin.

Orin
08-04-2005, 02:17 AM
He does not do just "fittings" anymore...you need to place a bike order with him...Seven, Parlee and Sycip....not a bad selection of bikes.

I too have heard good things about his work.

Yes, pity about that. I had a fitting done by him a few years ago and had him set up a second bike a year or so later. The best fitting I've ever had.

Orin.

kkasper4
08-04-2005, 08:01 AM
I live in Seattle, and unfortunately found out there are no certified Serotta fitters in town. Gregg's is a dealer, but nobody there is certified as a fitter. I went to North Division in Spokane and was fitted by Scott Holz. I am extremely pleased with my bike/fit. That said, I also paid sales tax. Portland would seem to be the other good obvious alternative.

Larry D
08-04-2005, 12:53 PM
I would like to tahnk all the forum members who have supplied input to my request.

I will forward them to my friend for her use in getting fitted for a new bicycle.

Once again,

Thank you!!!
:beer:

Serotta_James
08-04-2005, 04:51 PM
You might try Spoke and Sprocket in University Park just outside of Tacoma. They are a new Serotta dealer.

James

Climb01742
08-04-2005, 05:50 PM
one other option might be to call steve hampsten at hampsten cycles. i don't know for sure, but i'd guess that either steve would be a fine choice himself as a fitter or he'd sure know who locally is. my guess is he'd give you very knowledgeable, unbiased info.

William
08-05-2005, 06:36 AM
2 hours? Perhaps at 90 mph at 3am on a Sunday.

Orin.
Been there, done that.

Seriously.

William :D