PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Road Rain Jacket

SuperColnago
12-09-2011, 08:27 AM
ok what is THE road rain cycling jacket to get?
Looking for lightweight, no bulk to carry in jersey.
my thoughts - Sportful Hot Pack No Rain?
Any opinions appreciated thx!

Lewym
12-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Designed in Portland, tested and approved (by me) in Seattle.

The Double Century (http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/men/mens-jackets/mens-double-century) is simple, lightweight and works.

Downside is that it lacks pockets (use your jersey) - but that is the trade for being packable. The Elite is heavier, less packable but has more features like pockets, etc. . . Depends on what you are looking for.

At $125, the Double Century is a winner.

The new Assos rain jacket (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2011-assos-rs.sturmprinz-long-sleeve-shell-9790.138.0.html) looks pretty sweet. However, at 4-5x over the Showers Pass, I won't be able to validate that personally. :crap:

Charles M
12-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Gore Oxygen AS...

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/PROD_JGOXYG?landingid=1208436857421A

znfdl
12-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I am also a showerpass fan, however, the Gore jacket does look quite nice.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2011, 09:11 AM

This. Breathable but waterproof, and cheap!! No pockets, just like some of the big $ ones. Easy to fold, carry.

http://www.bicyclinghub.com/o2-rainwear-original-cycling-jacket.html?gclid=CNzDw_Oi9awCFQlrhwodwXFESQ

fiamme red
12-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Designed in Portland, tested and approved (by me) in Seattle.

The Double Century (http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/men/mens-jackets/mens-double-century) is simple, lightweight and works.

Downside is that it lacks pockets (use your jersey) - but that is the trade for being packable. The Elite is heavier, less packable but has more features like pockets, etc. . . Depends on what you are looking for.I second the Double Century recommendation. I've worn it comfortably through many hours of chilly rain.

R2D2
12-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I am also a showerpass fan, however, the Gore jacket does look quite nice.
I'm a Showerspass fan. And unlike most jackets, you can add a hood.
And on a cold rainy Brevet a wool Balaclava and a hood is a must.

BCS
12-09-2011, 09:28 AM
This. Breathable but waterproof, and cheap!! No pockets, just like some of the big $ ones. Easy to fold, carry.

http://www.bicyclinghub.com/o2-rainwear-original-cycling-jacket.html?gclid=CNzDw_Oi9awCFQlrhwodwXFESQ

I have his jacket. I think it sucks. The cut is terrible. It does not pack well, but it is cheap. I also have a double century and the showers pass elite. The double century is not as waterproof as the elite but it is more packable.

ahumblecycler
12-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I really like my CapoForma rain coat. The sides are perforated to allow some breathing, but not much as I often break out in sweat. My last outing with it was 18 miles commute home in a rain storm that dumped over 1" in less than 14 hrs and low 40-degree temps. My upper was nice and warm and dry.

jr59
12-09-2011, 10:47 AM
The one Lou at foxwear made for me!

http://www.foxwear.net/

Custom stuff is so nice.

benitosan1972
12-09-2011, 10:48 AM
1. Mavic Neptune = packs small, lots of vents, very waterproof, fit is TIGHT unless you're slim, $100 on sale all over the Internet

2. Giordana/Pearl Izumi Pro rain capes = packs small, fairly breathable, clear color to show off your kit underneath, cheap pricing

3. Rapha Rain = packs kinda bulky, maybe too waterproof (becomes sauna-like), stylish, over-priced Rapha (of course!)

xjoex
12-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Showers Pass Elite 2.0 is the best cycling rain jacket money can buy.

What sets it apart is the ample venting, particularly the pit zips. I have had this jacket going on 4 years now, and it has not lost any of its water resistance.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OIbtEOBgHcw/Toe9JwFEYMI/AAAAAAAAEN8/WwnAEO92kJI/s800/IMGP0732.JPG

Their rain pants are awesome too.

-Joe

krhea
12-09-2011, 12:39 PM

That jacket is horrific. There's a reason it costs $40 and it ain't because it works, 'cause it doesn't.
The majority of my yearly miles were ridden in the rain last year and this year it'll be about 60/40 no-rain/rain. I'm a jacket geek and have spent a ton of money looking for jackets that really work. Living in Portland allows you the "opportunity" to real world test rain jackets and find what really works. Over the years I've tried about everything, from ultra expensive to very cheap, including the jacket mentioned in the quoted thread. I currently have a closet full of rain jackets with one or two rides in them.
I have found two jackets that consistently stand out from the pack, both are Showers Pass.
I perspire very heavily so it's hard to find a jacket that both breathes well enough while being light enough and vented well enough to work for me. The SP Double Century is hard to beat at any price. Feature for feature it's a steal at $125. Breathes great, 9" pit zips/2-way front zipper/big back vent equals great venting.
The other jacket is totally different, the SP Elite Pro. It's climbs the cost ladder to $200+ but is a great jacket as well. It's a 3-layer material, ultralight weight at 240grams with great detail work.
The Double Century fits a tab bit larger allowing for a bit more layering if you "ride cold". No need to move up a size, it's just cut a bit more "full".
The Elite Pro is a fitted jacket, no extraneous material whatsoever, has a nice asymetrical zipper, perfect height collar and long tail. It crunches into a small hand full and will fit in a jersey pocket. That's not something the Double Century can do.
I use both jackets for different rides. This coming Sunday our weather is forecast to be 35-39degrees, light rain possible with 10mph winds. We have 3-4hr flattish ride planned. My jacket choice will be the Elite Pro. I find that it's perfect for flatter rides as I exert less energy or a more consistent energy output so I don't overheat or need as much venting. If/when we do a hilly rain ride this time of year nothing can beat the Double Century for venting on long climbs where you're really getting warm, working hard and then heading back down hill then back up and so forth.

I also like the GORE jacket Pez mentioned but for the price and for me the Showers Pass jackets work just as well and in some instances better for less money.

KRhea

John H.
12-09-2011, 02:30 PM
+1
For real riding in real rain the Gore Oxygen is unsurpassed. But it is expensive and tight fitting- might not work so well if not svelte.
That and a set of fenders.

Gore Oxygen AS...

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/PROD_JGOXYG?landingid=1208436857421A

Climb01742
12-09-2011, 02:37 PM
the gore jacket does look great. i've had great luck with showers pass jackets. lightweight yet very effective.

merckx
12-09-2011, 02:43 PM
That jacket is horrific. There's a reason it costs $40 and it ain't because it works, 'cause it doesn't.
The majority of my yearly miles were ridden in the rain last year and this year it'll be about 60/40 no-rain/rain. I'm a jacket geek and have spent a ton of money looking for jackets that really work. Living in Portland allows you the "opportunity" to real world test rain jackets and find what really works. Over the years I've tried about everything, from ultra expensive to very cheap, including the jacket mentioned in the quoted thread. I currently have a closet full of rain jackets with one or two rides in them.
I have found two jackets that consistently stand out from the pack, both are Showers Pass.
I perspire very heavily so it's hard to find a jacket that both breathes well enough while being light enough and vented well enough to work for me. The SP Double Century is hard to beat at any price. Feature for feature it's a steal at $125. Breathes great, 9" pit zips/2-way front zipper/big back vent equals great venting.
The other jacket is totally different, the SP Elite Pro. It's climbs the cost ladder to $200+ but is a great jacket as well. It's a 3-layer material, ultralight weight at 240grams with great detail work.
The Double Century fits a tab bit larger allowing for a bit more layering if you "ride cold". No need to move up a size, it's just cut a bit more "full".
The Elite Pro is a fitted jacket, no extraneous material whatsoever, has a nice asymetrical zipper, perfect height collar and long tail. It crunches into a small hand full and will fit in a jersey pocket. That's not something the Double Century can do.
I use both jackets for different rides. This coming Sunday our weather is forecast to be 35-39degrees, light rain possible with 10mph winds. We have 3-4hr flattish ride planned. My jacket choice will be the Elite Pro. I find that it's perfect for flatter rides as I exert less energy or a more consistent energy output so I don't overheat or need as much venting. If/when we do a hilly rain ride this time of year nothing can beat the Double Century for venting on long climbs where you're really getting warm, working hard and then heading back down hill then back up and so forth.

I also like the GORE jacket Pez mentioned but for the price and for me the Showers Pass jackets work just as well and in some instances better for less money.

KRhea
Can you enlighten us about what other rain jackets you have tried that failed and why? It sounds like you have done your homework!

Charles M
12-09-2011, 03:19 PM
+1
For real riding in real rain the Gore Oxygen is unsurpassed. But it is expensive and tight fitting- might not work so well if not svelte.

Yeah, I didnt think about multi fit and even Gore says it's a slim cut. It moves with you well and has some give, but "some" is pretty relative.

I just havent found anything that lets water out and lets none in while being packable as well as the Gore, but it's definitly not the only piece of gear.

gregj
12-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I have 2 Showers Pass rain jackets. One is the Touring Jacket for my commute. The other is the Pro Tour clear jacket. The Pro Tour is featherweight, packs tiny, and totally waterproof. I highly recommend any Showers Pass jacket that fits your needs.

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/men/mens-jackets/pro-tech-st

Greg

cromo900
12-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Well, at the risk of everyone else getting theres before I get mine, rei has the Double Century on sale right now: http://www.rei.com/product/793725/showers-pass-double-century-bike-jacket-mens

muz
12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I really like the Cutter Cylical jacket made of eVent fabric, lightweight and form fitting. It does not seem to be available any more.

http://www.realcyclist.com/cutter-cyclical-event-jacket-mens

slowpoke
12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
^ someone might still be selling a size small in the classifieds (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=97207&highlight=cutter).

krhea
12-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Can you enlighten us about what other rain jackets you have tried that failed and why? It sounds like you have done your homework!

I've tried most of the Pearl Izumi offering with no success. Every jacket I tried felt clammy due to lack of vent options or improperly placed vents. I have heard good things about their new P.R.O. line from a couple rain riding jacket junkie buddies of mine.
Have not and will not try any Assos, Rapha etc high end jackets as I don't think you need to spend that kind of money to get something that works.
Haven't tried any castelli due to their fit "challenges". A couple of the new Bellweather pieces work pretty well although I don't know the exact models, however they are "newest" models. I've also had great luck with Endura jackets especially the Flyte, Stealth and the Convert. All three of those were really great for different reasons. The Stealth was Entrant, form fitting like a jersey with all seams sealed, pit and wrist zips, great pockets, good look but you couldn't wear much under it due to it's form fit. The Flyte was similar without the pit zips and few other touches. It was a 3-layer material. The Convert was a nice 3-season jacket with zip off sleeves. It had a much less restrictive fit which allowed a lot of layering.
A new jacket that is nice is the REI/Novara Verita. It's a 3-layer jacket that at first glance looks like a Showers Pass knock-off until you try it on. It's a bit roomier than the SP Double Century, however it is made with ultra breathable Event and is less than $150.

KRhea...jacket junkie

Louis
12-09-2011, 08:37 PM
The majority of my yearly miles were ridden in the rain last year and this year it'll be about 60/40 no-rain/rain. I'm a jacket geek and have spent a ton of money looking for jackets that really work. Living in Portland allows you the "opportunity" to real world test rain jackets and find what really works.

Thread drift:

This tell me everything I need to know about potentially moving to the PNW. :no:

JLP
12-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Showers pass. They are practically standard issue for long rainy brevets.

poff
12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I have this:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2011-assos-sj.climaschutz-long-sleeve-shell-9788.138.0.html
Packs small, very light and works like a charm. Expensive though.

hillzofvalp
12-10-2011, 01:18 AM
anything that keeps you dry

EDS
12-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Not sure it is the "best", but I have an Adidas adistar CP rain jacket that is great. The jacket is form fitting, lightweight, breathable, waterproof, stuffs in a jersey pocket and is not too expensive.

Gummee
12-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I have the Gore jacket. Its definitely waterproof.

There's a couple of Gore jackets. The Oxygen is slim cut. There's at least one more that isn't. They have little 'fit icons' in their catalog. If you're not slim, don't get the slim-fit jacket! They really do mean slim.

FWIW I'm 5'8" 170-ish # and wear a large Oxygen and its certainly not loose.

M

SuperColnago
12-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Thanks to all for their advice, excellent, I haven't decoded yout but the Showers Pass seem to be getting a lot of votes. Packable is high on my requirements list, been caught too many times now without a layer!

Cheers, keep them coming!

rnhood
12-11-2011, 07:28 AM
I've got the Gore Oxygen and its a great jacket. Well thought out, very packable and nice ergo cut. Get hot just unzip it. Pit zips are all but worthless as they don't really do much for ventilation.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I have his jacket. I think it sucks. The cut is terrible. It does not pack well, but it is cheap. I also have a double century and the showers pass elite. The double century is not as waterproof as the elite but it is more packable.

Ok, I like it, it packs well, is waterproof, it's for rain, then take it off. $150+ for a rain jacket is nutz.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2011, 09:17 AM

KRhea

Geeezz..and it's $30 not $40. Course, you're in Portland, where it rains 26 hours a day, 400 days a year. Glad I'm in the arid high desert of Colorado, where the jacket works just fine.

World Climate-Portland 36-40 inches of rainfall per year

Denver about 15.

dsb
12-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Have not and will not try any Assos, Rapha etc high end jackets as I don't think you need to spend that kind of money to get something that works.

Perhaps not... But how much have you spent trying to find that cheaper jacket that works?

I have 1/one/uno/single rain jacket... It's, you guessed it... Assos... I've had it forever... I'm sure it was expensive, I really don't remember what I paid for it, but it works for me... and has for years...

Sperlings says that it rains 62.5 in per year here in Dahlonega, for what that's worth...

Lewym
12-11-2011, 07:11 PM
$150+ for a rain jacket is nutz.

with all due respect . . . not when you live in Seattle or PDX.

BCS
12-11-2011, 07:26 PM
$150+ for a rain jacket is nutz.

It is quite funny when people draw the line about certain prices but not others. The cost differential btw your POS shell and a Double Century is 1 quality tubular tire.

xjoex
12-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Ok, I like it, it packs well, is waterproof, it's for rain, then take it off. $150+ for a rain jacket is nutz.

That is because you live in rain free Boulder with its 300+ sunny days a year.

If you live in a place where waiting for the rain to pass is not an option, you get appropriate rain gear.

I actually wrote about that here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/03/review-showers-pass-elite-20-cycling.html

Horses for courses and all that.

-Joe

oldpotatoe
12-12-2011, 07:50 AM
It is quite funny when people draw the line about certain prices but not others. The cost differential btw your POS shell and a Double Century is 1 quality tubular tire.

The shell is $30 and a 'quality tubular tire'(Conti Sprinter) is $65...Double century rain jacket is $124....lessseee...add the, carry the, subtract the......

$95, I guess there are some quality tubulars out there for MORE than $95.

Wear what ya want. The rain jacket I have works, ain't
expensive here in the republic. I don't have to ride in the rain, in fact, if it's raining I don't ride.

oldpotatoe
12-12-2011, 07:53 AM
That is because you live in rain free Boulder with its 300+ sunny days a year.

If you live in a place where waiting for the rain to pass is not an option, you get appropriate rain gear.

I actually wrote about that here: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/03/review-showers-pass-elite-20-cycling.html

Horses for courses and all that.

-Joe

Yee gads, the original poster wrote-

"What is the best Road Rain Jacket

I don't know what the best one in Portland is, nor the best one in Phoenix but for me, this one works. Lightweight, no bulk to carry(implies one where you get caught in the rain, not commuting in the rain).

Ya know, I don't often write about fenders either, altho I have clipons, which I'm sure those from Portlandia will say are junque..

Charles M
12-12-2011, 08:00 AM
I've tried most of the Pearl Izumi offering with no success. Every jacket I tried felt clammy due to lack of vent options or improperly placed vents. I have heard good things about their new P.R.O. line from a couple rain riding jacket junkie buddies of mine.
Haven't tried any castelli due to their fit "challenges". A couple of the new Bellweather pieces work pretty well although I don't know the exact models, however they are "newest" models. I've also had great luck with Endura jackets especially the Flyte, Stealth and the Convert. All three of those were really great for different reasons. The Stealth was Entrant, form fitting like a jersey with all seams sealed, pit and wrist zips, great pockets, good look but you couldn't wear much under it due to it's form fit. The Flyte was similar without the pit zips and few other touches. It was a 3-layer material. The Convert was a nice 3-season jacket with zip off sleeves. It had a much less restrictive fit which allowed a lot of layering.
A new jacket that is nice is the REI/Novara Verita. It's a 3-layer jacket that at first glance looks like a Showers Pass knock-off until you try it on. It's a bit roomier than the SP Double Century, however it is made with ultra breathable Event and is less than $150.

KRhea...jacket junkie

I forgot about the Bellwether stuff.

Monsoon and Aqua-no...

They're not quite the Gore Oxygen but they're also half the cost while still working... The Monsoon is very packable. I think they have one more that is there top of the line too...

wasfast
12-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Charles, I greatly appreciate all you contribute to pez and the forums. However, having a guy from Arizona recommend a rain jacket is like asking folks in Portland to recommend sunscreen:-)

wgp
12-12-2011, 04:23 PM
"However, having a guy from Arizona recommend a rain jacket is like asking folks in Portland to recommend sunscreen:-)"

Now that's funny!!

beeatnik
12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Raining cats and dogs here in LA; although, the average for the rain season is usually about 11 inches. Last year, was the wettest winter on record. I think for the season we got as much rain as Seattle. So, I didn't expect this year to be anywhere near as wet and I decided to stick with my "water resistant" stuff and not invest in real rain gear. Went out for a 15 min ride to grab some breakfast pastries and what seemed to be a light winter rain turned into a downpour of biblical proportions. Whole lanes were flooded in minutes. Anyway, I got soaked, drenched. Felt hypothermia coming on after 10 min. I'm a moron. Oh well...my point is that even dry climates experience on occasional deluge (in fact, it's very common in socal which is mostly a flood plain). One inch of rain in 8 hours is no joke. And that's probably all the rain you need to be able to test a good rain jacket.

Gotsta get me that Showers Pass joint...

krhea
12-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Ya know, I don't often write about fenders either, altho I have clipons, which I'm sure those from Portlandia will say are junque..

Yo Pete, no problem with clip-ons here in Portlandia...as long as if you're group ridin' you have long buddy flaps attached to your clip-ons as we don't appreciate you clip-on rookies throw'n a rooster tail in our faces on group rides. :beer:

benitosan1972
12-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Rain. Hypothermia. LA. Does not compute.
You got rained on, you need a good rain jacket for those sporadic rains.
But you sound like a James Cameron-Michael Bay-Joel Schumacher Hollywood summer blockbuster drama with that re-cap! ;)

beeatnik
12-13-2011, 03:38 AM
Rain. Hypothermia. LA. Does not compute.
You got rained on, you need a good rain jacket for those sporadic rains.
But you sound like a James Cameron-Michael Bay-Joel Schumacher Hollywood summer blockbuster drama with that re-cap! ;)

Wish I had 4 or 5 rain jackets to test today. Anyhoodini, just wanted to make sure that it was understood that you can test a rain jacket in LA or Arizona if you're out on rainy day. Doesn't rain often but it can get biblical. And speaking of Hollywood shiz, we had 80 mph winds last week. I have coworkers who didn't get their power back until a few days ago. And now half the streets in Pasadena are flooding due to clogged storm drains.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_19533161

maxn
12-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Another vote for the Oxygen paclite shell here. I've had mine for a couple of years and love it: very breathable, super light and waterproof. I basically carry it with me most of the time since it works very well as a windbreaker in non-wet conditions. My only complaint is that the zipper kind of sucks, but I guess you don't get light weight and pack-ability for nothing.

Note that Gore has changed the naming of the Oxygen line since a few (?) years ago, so my jacket (Oxygen III) appears to be a completely different jacket than the Oxygen GT or SO jackets that are currently available.

SuperColnago
12-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi Maxn

What is the issue with the zipper, the light packability is what I'm looking for thanks! :beer:

Another vote for the Oxygen paclite shell here. I've had mine for a couple of years and love it: very breathable, super light and waterproof. I basically carry it with me most of the time since it works very well as a windbreaker in non-wet conditions. My only complaint is that the zipper kind of sucks, but I guess you don't get light weight and pack-ability for nothing.

Note that Gore has changed the naming of the Oxygen line since a few (?) years ago, so my jacket (Oxygen III) appears to be a completely different jacket than the Oxygen GT or SO jackets that are currently available.

fiamme red
09-10-2012, 01:08 PM
My Showers Pass Double Century jacket is falling apart, and I'm considering other brands. Has anyone here used the Jackson & Gibbens jacket? It's actually made in the USA.

http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Waterproof-Breathable-Rain-Jackets.html

sc53
09-10-2012, 01:24 PM

KRhea

THANK you for this real world Portlandia review! I love my Showers Pass jacket but it is not packable. I must have the Elite or something, great jacket for winter rain but not for summer showers. For that I found a $99 jacket with full pit zips at Performance, light and stuffable, waterproof, bright yellow.

handsomerob
10-14-2012, 08:53 AM
just an FYI.. I found this thread looking for a recommendation on a rain jacket and found that Showers Pass Double Century that was highly recommended on closeout for $65.

only a few left, XL and XXL only.

I grabbed one of each size not knowing how the fit will be, so I will either keep both depending on underlayering, return one, or sell the extra here.

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/closeout/mens-double-century

gone
10-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Raining like the dickens here today and I've been meaning to order one. Got an XL inbound.

Thanks again.

wpod
10-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Been holding off scoring one of those Double Century's on closeout for a while. Friday's first rain and Rob's post above shook my tree enough to order one NOW.

Thx

parris
10-14-2012, 07:12 PM
I have the Specialized Aqua Veto and it's GREAT!!! if you like to feel clammy, get wet starting at the zipper, don't mind that the elastic cuffs let water in there as well. But hey it was only about $120.00 so it was a bargain! (yeah right)

Ahneida Ride
10-14-2012, 08:42 PM
AND NOW FOR THE WHOLE TRUTH !

www.foxwear.net !

Fully custom Jackets handmade in USA ....

Exceptional quality and priced right !

Ahneida Ride
10-14-2012, 08:52 PM
One more time ....

www.foxwear.net.

Get a NeoShell jacket.

This may be the ONLY time I've ever posted here when I know what
I am talking about.

eippo1
10-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I have 3 of them for different conditions. I have an Endura Limunite jacket with event fabric and it is very waterproof and comfortable. It has 3 pockets, pit vents an LED strip in back and is breathable. It is not very packable, though, and so I use it for commuting, colder weather and walking the dog.

Next one I have is the Showers pass Double Century. Much more packable, more breathable, less durable, but just as waterproof. Great jacket all around, but I can't layer with it quite as much as I can with the Endura so I tend to use it in warmer temps. I took this to the rainforest in Mexico and it held up quite well.

The last on I have is the Castelli Leggero, which is primarily a race jacket. It is very form fitting, but packs way down so that I can stuff it into a jersey pocket and still cram a tube in that same pocket. It is breathable, but at the cost of some waterproof ness as it will eventually soak through. However even when wet, it keeps the wind out so that I don't freeze on a 45 degree day while it's pouring and I'm racing cross.

BumbleBeeDave
10-14-2012, 09:21 PM
One more time ....

www.foxwear.net.

Get a NeoShell jacket.

I am talking about.

There must have been at least one accurate fact in one of those 172,042 posts! :p

BBD

scottcw2
10-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Glad that this thread was resurrected because I ordered the Portland Jacket on sale at Showers Pass.

monkeybanana86
10-15-2012, 03:10 AM
Glad that this thread was resurrected because I ordered the Portland Jacket on sale at Showers Pass.

speaking of resurrection wow I remember this post from when I first joined this forum can't believe it's been a whole year and I remember making a mental note about this jacket. too bad you guys swiped all the small sizes!

jr59
10-15-2012, 05:15 AM
One more time ....

www.foxwear.net.

Get a NeoShell jacket.

I am talking about.

Don't know about this fact. Deems to me that some posts on Handlebra are pretty good. :p

BUT; As I said on the first page of this; Give Lou a call @ foxwear. You will be VERY glad you did.

I say this all the time, and few listen, oh well, your loss! Lou makes SUPER GREAT STUFF custom for as little as most off the shelf stuff.

jpw
10-15-2012, 05:17 AM
http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201205/11/56/b0208656_18373637.jpg

Only in black for now, but coming out in fluorescent orange for next fall. Not just a rain jacket, but also a great insulator piece.

Ahneida Ride
10-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Don't know about this fact. Deems to me that some posts on Handlebra are pretty good. :p

BUT; As I said on the first page of this; Give Lou a call @ foxwear. You will be VERY glad you did.

I say this all the time, and few listen, oh well, your loss! Lou makes SUPER GREAT STUFF custom for as little as most off the shelf stuff.

Amen !

Lou gives ya Custom for just a bit above what a LBS charges for a China Jacket.

Makes it all himself !

jr59
10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Amen !

Lou gives ya Custom for just a bit above what a LBS charges for a China Jacket.

Makes it all himself !

Ray, we seem to try to tell the guys and girls on here this every time.

They think we are kidding, or Lou can't be as good as he is.

Any ideas on how to at least get them to try?
Or maybe we shouldn't at all. Keep this super service winter clothing source to ourselves.

Hartlin
10-15-2012, 11:28 AM
+1

+1 on this, great fit, great function.

xeladragon
10-15-2012, 01:03 PM
I've got the Gore as well. Not the most breathable but definitely keeps you dry. And yes, very fitted.

Ahneida Ride
10-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Ray, we seem to try to tell the guys and girls on here this every time.

They think we are kidding, or Lou can't be as good as he is.

Any ideas on how to at least get them to try?
Or maybe we shouldn't at all. Keep this super service winter clothing source to ourselves.

I am working on a idea .... almost implemented .....

rjfr
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I have also tried many different jackets. For club rides of 40 to 60 miles, in a climate similar to Portland, I find the SP Elite 2.0 to be too bulky and hot unless I'm riding in rain for 80% or more of a ride. It is too bulky to roll up and stuff in a pocket when the rain stops and too hot to wear when climbing, even with all the vents open.

A Mavic Helium fits the bill very well for an all around club ride jacket. Vents relatively well, rolls up easily when not in use and wards off rain when in use, even heavy downpours.

I have not yet found one jacket to fit all conditions. For commuting the SP would be a good choice. For club rides, so far the Mavic wins. A few more zips for venting on the Mavic Helium would make it the perfect choice.

miguel
10-15-2012, 01:42 PM
rapha rain jacket owner here
PNW resident rider

lets just say this jacket leaves some to be desired.
:confused:

fiamme red
10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
I liked my SP Double Century jacket (especially for being so packable), but it fell apart too quickly. If I found another one on sale I might buy it, but not for the retail price of $160.

I wouldn't consider any rain jacket for cycling that didn't have pit zips.

cassa
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Any ideas on how to at least get them to try [foxwear]?

I, for one, would be more convinced if I had confidence that the fit would be as form-fitting as I like. The pictures on his site seem to show some pretty loose fits. Any of you have experience getting something with a bit more "performance fit" from him?

I like the idea of custom sizing (especially at a good price), but I don't want a perfectly sized baggy jacket.

EDS
10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
One more time ....

www.foxwear.net.

Get a NeoShell jacket.

I am talking about.

The 80's called, and they want their pictures back!

jr59
10-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I, for one, would be more convinced if I had confidence that the fit would be as form-fitting as I like. The pictures on his site seem to show some pretty loose fits. Any of you have experience getting something with a bit more "performance fit" from him?

I like the idea of custom sizing (especially at a good price), but I don't want a perfectly sized baggy jacket.

Custom is custom! Fit it the way you wish!

cassa
10-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Custom is custom! Fit it the way you wish!

If I give him my measurements and tell him to make it a comfortable fit, I'm confident he can do it based on what I've seen on his site. But if I ask him to make it a snug fit, what reason do I have to believe that it won't be all bunched up in the wrong places, or move strangely as I move on the bike, etc...? His site does not advertise custom fit, just custom sizing (if you get the distinction I'm trying to make).

Does anyone have experience getting snug fitting items from foxwear?

wallymann
10-15-2012, 05:28 PM
IMO the standard-issue transparent PVC rain-capes with the velcro front and vented side-panels will do the trick, along with a couple simple modifications and the right expectation/mindset.

start with the last item -- mindset: no matter what you wear, YOU WILL GET WET. there is no magical jacket that will keep you dry for a long day in the rain.

modifications: cut off the sleeves, they just make you hot. trim the front, they are typically too long and bunch up in front and can snag your expensive lycra.

http://www.westernbikeworks.com/productimages/images450/lpimp4-1.jpg

Ahneida Ride
10-15-2012, 05:32 PM
If I give him my measurements and tell him to make it a comfortable fit, I'm confident he can do it based on what I've seen on his site. But if I ask him to make it a snug fit, what reason do I have to believe that it won't be all bunched up in the wrong places, or move strangely as I move on the bike, etc...? His site does not advertise custom fit, just custom sizing (if you get the distinction I'm trying to make).

I believe Lou has been making jackets for 30 years or so.

gdw
10-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Call Fox, 877-756-3699. I bet if you explain what you're after they will tell you whether they can or can't produce it.

cnighbor1
10-15-2012, 05:48 PM
OK what is THE road rain cycling jacket to get?
Underarms zippers a must to keep from being in a full time sweat bath under arm zippers a must
vented back next
I ride with a goretext rain jacket and normally the under arm zippered vent are open to allow jacket to vent
without that feature you will get wet just from your water vapor coming off you body

scrubadub
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM

IME, when one of the jackets quite fit right, Lou took it back and adjusted it for free. Even paid for shipping both ways.

I will say though as much as I love his stuff - and I have a bunch of it - I kind of wish he put in vents like some of more bike specific stuff. I should ask him about it, but for now I'm happy with his stuff.