PDA

View Full Version : OT - help choose a fly rod

thinpin
12-09-2011, 03:26 AM
I know a lot of folk here are into their fly fishing. I want to get back into it again after a gap of 20 years or so! I left it in Ireland casting DT 7wt lines on a fibreglass rod. Small streams and mostly dry fly to rising fish.
Thats what I'd like to get back to, except the Ireland bit.
But I'm confused.
Streams worth fishing here in Australia often have overgrown banks, very clear water and need a hike of a couple of hours to get to. Most but not all fish are less than 11/2lb.
I'm looking to buy a new rod but do not know where to start. Every time I think I got it right something else crops up.
Im thinking 3-4 weight 4pce. Thought graphite was it then discovered that fiberglass is "back". Was thinking Temple fork then saw Diamondback, (so you got the budget picture, $200-$300 for the rod)
What would you recommend and why? What lines and reels will match?
Thanks.

indyrider
12-09-2011, 05:06 AM
Rod/reel combos are just like bikes...You just cant have one :beer: I would pick up the 3/4 wt and work with that until you need something else and then have fun looking for your next rod.....

Elefantino
12-09-2011, 07:13 AM
The brother-in-law is one of the world's best fly fishermen (seriously, he is) and for your range backs the Scott A3 (http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods2/a3). Compares well to the equivalent stuff from Sage but at half the price.

cmpilot
12-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I have the 4 pc Fenwick fiberglass my father made for me in the late 1970s. I was a backpacker and he was a thoughtful father.

I also have my grandfather's bamboo fly rod, a beautiful long thing on which I learned.

Both rods catch fish. That is to say, I catch fish and both rods have meaning to me. I use flies I tie because my father taught me how and it's fun.

I haven't learned anything about fishing equipment since I was that young and Dad was teaching me. That's just fine with me. I can still catch fish and feel good about it.

Get something that makes you feel good, whatever it's made of. Gee, sounds like bikes.

gomango
12-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I have been using Sage rods of various weights for the last thirty years or so.

I have had good fortune with all of them, and when I had a mishap/defect with a five weight Flight, they stood by the product and made it right.

I just purchased a heavier 9 weight Sage Vantage for my oldest son, as we'll fish for Northerns, Muskies, and the occasional Lake Trout with this bruiser.

Here's a link to take a look at the Vantage line from Sage.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/rods/all-water/vantage

Also, here is a link to my favorite fly fishing source of info:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/

Post your question there, as you are likely to get a fair amount of advice and spirited debate!

BTW The Scott A3 is a sweet little rod, and I've seen them come up from time to time on the local CL.

Chuck Hammer
12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Due to your budget you may consider this it is right were you want to be:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54698?feat=506543-GN2
I like / use Winston and Orvis.
Good Luck

dogdriver
12-09-2011, 02:45 PM
The previously mentioned Scott is nice in your budget. Sage if you can come up with the $$$ (every guide I know uses them, but that may have to do with the great pricing Sage gives industry folks). A used Thomas and Thomas might be had in your price range (my favorite).

Louis
12-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Campy, not Shimano.

velotel
12-09-2011, 03:24 PM
It's been a long time since I was wading around in rivers in the Rockies. Have to admit I miss that but with my vision today, impossible. Anyway, the rod I always loved was bamboo. A Winston if I recall correctly. Had a graphite also and in truth it cast better but I loved the feel of the bamboo. Also loved looking at it as I slid it out of it's case. Loved putting it together. Handling it. Wonderful rod. Sold the graphite. Kept the bamboo. A purely emotional decision. And I'm sure this doesn't help at all. Just one historic perspective

Ahneida Ride
12-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Call Kelly Bedford

www.kbedfordcustoms.com

Kelly is a fly fishin guru.
He even build his own flies and rods ...

He'll out you straight.
I am sure he would love to chat with you.

Dan Le foot
12-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I was even more of a novice 2 years ago.
Here is what I did.
I called LLbean (Toll free) and asked for the fly fishing department. Callers actually get to talk to a fly fishing expert. I told him what level of flyfisher I was and the type of fishing I had in mind along with my budget.
He fixed me up with the proper rod/reel line, leader and tipets. Cost about $200 for mid level equipment. (Ultegra rather than Record) I also bought their "how to book" that I use all the time. Also bought their branded waders for $100.
Oh. Free shipping, no tax and the best refund policy anywhere.
I'm now a fly fishing snob. :D Turned my nose up at a guy yesterday (fishing season in San Diego)that had a stringer of 3-4lb planted rainbows that he caught on Power Bait and treble hooks. I was one of those guy for many years.
Good luck. See you in the streams.
Dan

rounder
12-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Call Kelly Bedford

www.kbedfordcustoms.com

Kelly is a fly fishin guru.
He even build his own flies and rods ...

He'll out you straight.
I am sure he would love to chat with you.

I am interested. What kind of fly rods does Kelly build and use (lugged steel??). I have a carbon fly rod, but have only caught one small trout so far with it. I believe it was caught on a spinner rather than on a properly tied fly(as god intended).

gomango
12-10-2011, 05:11 AM
The previously mentioned Scott is nice in your budget. Sage if you can come up with the $$$ (every guide I know uses them, but that may have to do with the great pricing Sage gives industry folks). A used Thomas and Thomas might be had in your price range (my favorite).

I have been fortunate enough to use Sage "cast offs" from a friend.

He's been guiding for many years, and it is a heck of a summer job for him.

He tries lots of new rod/reel combos until he finds just the right match.

He also uses a fair amount of Orvis products, as we used to have an Orvis shop locally and he worked there part time.

So yes, he manages to finagle deals constantly.

His best tip though, is one I use constantly.

Craigslist

If you watch the CL listings, it is amazing how folks can off a $300 rod for $100-$150. Or less!

The last couple I've purchased were never used, and often came with their original shipping materials.

Just a thought.

Walter
12-10-2011, 06:03 AM
I have used Sage rods like others posting here. Recently I purchased a Cabela's short, light line weight rod for some small stream fishing for far less money than the Sage version. Some good values there.

martinrjensen
12-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Well all I use now is Bamboo of my own build but I have have quite a few Graphites and still have a couple. A 3 or 4 piece rod is a good idea for packing. I'm hoping it was a type-o and you didn't really mean "most fish are under 11lbs", meaning close to 11lbs. Because if you did, a 3 to 4 wt rod is way under gunned and you ought to be looking for a 6 or 7 wt at least. If you meant 11 inches or so, then you are fine. If it's windy a lot where you fish consider going up a weight. What ever rod you end up with, test it out with different line weights. The line weight designation is really just someones guess as to the best line to use and it can vary depending on casting style. Don't go for a combo rod and reel deal as they are almost always too much of a compromise.
If you will be roll casting a lot, a double taper line is best, but for normal casting a weight forward line is the way to go. For me, a 4 wt rod is getting into a speciality rod. While I have maybe 3 or 4 of them I usually go for the 5 wt rod. For small streams 7.5 ft to 8 ft is OK. I really like to fish a 7.5 ft'er. It's hard to fish a nymph with one though. Really, no one needs a 9 ft'er (IMO) unless they are lake fishing in a pontoon boat or something. My longest rod now is 8.5 ft and I rarely use it. I do use an 8 ft'er most of the time and with practice you will be able to cast as far as you need to do so with it.
Ya gotta just try a few different rods to see what you like. Get a local experts opinion, but get several so you can weight what one person says against the other. Everybody is biased and you won't get the full picture unless you talk to multiple people in the know and (hopefully) am able to read between the lines

Ahneida Ride
12-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I am interested. What kind of fly rods does Kelly build and use (lugged steel??). I have a carbon fly rod, but have only caught one small trout so far with it. I believe it was caught on a spinner rather than on a properly tied fly(as god intended).

Give Kelly a call. If you are lucky ,you just might get him to build a
custom rod for ya. He does build them from time to time.

(he makes very heavy lugged steel rods !!!! ) :banana: :beer: :hello: ;)

Seriously .... give him a call. Kelly loves to talk about fly fishing.

csm
12-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I've had a couple sage rods (and still have one), some cortlands, and a st croix.
the st croix is a 10 wt for salt water but casts about the same as the high end (a few yrs ago) orvis in the same wt. and it was maybe half the price.
the scott rods are decent too.
beware of poly-rodding.... having too many fly rods at once.

gomango
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Well all I use now is Bamboo of my own build but I have have quite a few Graphites and still have a couple. A 3 or 4 piece rod is a good idea for packing. I'm hoping it was a type-o and you didn't really mean "most fish are under 11lbs", meaning close to 11lbs. Because if you did, a 3 to 4 wt rod is way under gunned and you ought to be looking for a 6 or 7 wt at least. If you meant 11 inches or so, then you are fine. If it's windy a lot where you fish consider going up a weight. What ever rod you end up with, test it out with different line weights. The line weight designation is really just someones guess as to the best line to use and it can vary depending on casting style. Don't go for a combo rod and reel deal as they are almost always too much of a compromise.
If you will be roll casting a lot, a double taper line is best, but for normal casting a weight forward line is the way to go. For me, a 4 wt rod is getting into a speciality rod. While I have maybe 3 or 4 of them I usually go for the 5 wt rod. For small streams 7.5 ft to 8 ft is OK. I really like to fish a 7.5 ft'er. It's hard to fish a nymph with one though. Really, no one needs a 9 ft'er (IMO) unless they are lake fishing in a pontoon boat or something. My longest rod now is 8.5 ft and I rarely use it. I do use an 8 ft'er most of the time and with practice you will be able to cast as far as you need to do so with it.
Ya gotta just try a few different rods to see what you like. Get a local experts opinion, but get several so you can weight what one person says against the other. Everybody is biased and you won't get the full picture unless you talk to multiple people in the know and (hopefully) am able to read between the lines

Good advice!

A nine footer does come in handy when lake fishing for Muskies though.imho

We toss some fairly substantial hand tied monstrosities at these beasts.

...and we are usually either fishing in our float tubes or my Wineglass Wherry.

We fish local lakes in the Twin Cities and the Upper St. Croix.

Huge fish, huge fun. :)

thinpin
12-10-2011, 03:43 PM
I have a couple of hours with the guy who runs derek mckenzie flyfishing shop. He gets a lot of good reviews on the web here. I called the number and an American accent answered! The manager himself, Steve. He became so excited at getting someone back into the fold, he is giving me a couple of hours on Sunday to try a few styles of rod and line! Then I can take a couple of demo rods for 2 weeks to see what I like - all no charge! Is this the famous American service I often here about?

Thanks for all the replies. No not 11lbs martin, 11/2lbs is meant to be 1.5lbs. I am trying to avoid the sage/orvis rods thing. A lot of the cost is for the name, Im sure they are excellent rods. This is all about getting into some beautiful country, casting a dry and leaving stuff behind. I want to keep it simple and cheap.

gomango
12-10-2011, 05:03 PM
At the end of the day, it is about getting out of town and wetting a line.

This experience can't be beat.

As for less expensive equipment, we bought a Scientific Anglers package for our youngest son.

He was 10 years old at the time.

It turned him into a fly fisherman, and now I have a fishing partner for the rest of my life. :)

spierfalls
12-10-2011, 05:45 PM
He built one for me two years ago for my dad for christmas. Just like his frames, full of detail and custom to your liking. Hes probably reading this right now saying to himself.
"Like I wasn't busy enough already. Thanks guys" :hello:

Ahneida Ride
12-10-2011, 10:32 PM
He built one for me two years ago for my dad for christmas. Just like his frames, full of detail and custom to your liking. Hes probably reading this right now saying to himself.
"Like I wasn't busy enough already. Thanks guys" :hello:

Nope .... not reading .....

.... he is teaching on course on Fly Fishing for the local club.