PDA

View Full Version : OT: pro audio help

Ti Designs
12-09-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm looking for something in either hardware or software that will play sound samples using MIDI data. Here's the tricky part, I need it to be simple.

I have found the piano sample I've been looking for:

http://www.sampletekk.com/proddetail.php?prod=STDELIVER-020-FORMAT

Now all I need is a simple sound engine...

Before you go suggesting pro tools, a little about myself. My brain simply doesn't work. I can focus on exactly one thing at a time, whatever I was doing before goes away. This makes navigating anything impossible. If something has one function I can use it. If it has two functions I can ignore one of them. If it has 1000 functions I'll simply get lost in the user interface and never get anything to work. I suspect this is what a lot of people do, I'm just the guy who knows just how defective my brain is, and since they don't allow body parts to be sold on ebay, I'm stuck with it.

djg
12-09-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm looking for something in either hardware or software that will play sound samples using MIDI data. Here's the tricky part, I need it to be simple.

I have found the piano sample I've been looking for:

http://www.sampletekk.com/proddetail.php?prod=STDELIVER-020-FORMAT

Now all I need is a simple sound engine...

Before you go suggesting pro tools, a little about myself. My brain simply doesn't work. I can focus on exactly one thing at a time, whatever I was doing before goes away. This makes navigating anything impossible. If something has one function I can use it. If it has two functions I can ignore one of them. If it has 1000 functions I'll simply get lost in the user interface and never get anything to work. I suspect this is what a lot of people do, I'm just the guy who knows just how defective my brain is, and since they don't allow body parts to be sold on ebay, I'm stuck with it.

Prolly not on the bay, but I think you could buy the tissue. Making it work . . . that's another story.

I had a similar problem. Not a tech guy. Theory of tech, fine, at least in some areas -- could teach something, write something. Getting an i-phone to work . . . feh. So I found myself a nice lawyer who, in her 3 years before law school, worked as a techie. Systems, whatever. She actually seems to like rtfm-ing and getting the gizmos to do what they are supposed to do. I am, very literally, married to my tech support person. She keeps everything up and running. Walks me through the basics. Etc.

I made the right call for me, but if you don't want permanent staff, there's always the option of a consultant.

Ti Designs
12-09-2011, 10:36 AM
I made the right call for me, but if you don't want permanent staff, there's always the option of a consultant.

Yup, that's the way it has to be. It's just so hard for people to grasp how my mind works. A few year ago my girlfriend got me a cell phone and tried to show me how to use it. It's a simple version of the user interface for just about any hand held device these days. There's a main menu, then sub menus. The selections on the sub menu are based on where you are, so you have to know how you got there - easy for most people 'cause you were just there two seconds ago. By that time I'm lost.

KF9YR
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Prolly not on the bay, but I think you could buy the tissue. Making it work . . . that's another story.

I had a similar problem. Not a tech guy. Theory of tech, fine, at least in some areas -- could teach something, write something. Getting an i-phone to work . . . feh. So I found myself a nice lawyer who, in her 3 years before law school, worked as a techie. Systems, whatever. She actually seems to like rtfm-ing and getting the gizmos to do what they are supposed to do. I am, very literally, married to my tech support person. She keeps everything up and running. Walks me through the basics. Etc.

Ouch, married to a lawyer. How much did she make you put in her retainer account?

OP, not sure about one-touch pro recording equipment w/minimal controls

maunahaole
12-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Ti- how do you navigate? Roads in New England are the benchmark for difficult user interface.

hillzofvalp
12-10-2011, 01:23 AM
sounds like you neeed a mac and garageband