PDA

View Full Version : Rapha vs Road Holland vs Torm Jersey Compro

Steve in SLO
12-08-2011, 07:56 PM
After taking delivery of various Rapha, Torm and Road Holland jerseys, I thought it might be a nice to compare them in terms of fit and quality. As a disclaimer, I am not a professional in the clothing industry, nor am I receiving gazillions of dollars for this comparison. I will attempt to present objective facts. You can then subjectively thrash my findings at will.

Compared were size larges of the:
Rapha Country jersey (red)
Torm T1 jersey (grey)
And a Medium of the :
Road Holland Urtecht jersey (white)

Fabric:
All are made from Sportwool, and although the sites quote slightly different percentages of merino (39%-40%), and fabric weights, I could feel no appreciable difference in thickness while handling the jerseys. All appear to have been loomed similarly, and all had approximately the same elasticity in 3 directions. They have a similar sheen. Inside, nap felt the same with all three.

Construction:
All 3 were made using flat-felled stitching with an elastic stitch pattern. All had bar-tacking at stress points. The Rapha and Torm jerseys were stitched and bar-tacked in an almost identical manner, while the Road Holland was not bar-tacked in as many places.
The rear pocket detail was different in each, with the Torm appearing sturdiest: It had a double row of stitching at the bottom of the pocket, and at the top had a 3/4” band of fabric ribbon inside the jersey all the way across the back, which would seem to prevent pulling away of the jersey when the pocket s are filled, and looks like it would prevent tearing of the top of the pocket away from the jersey the best of the three. The Rapha and Road Holland, by comparison, had a ribbon strip spanning the bar-tacked area only.
Zippers were similar and of high quality. The Torm has 2 rear zippered pockets, while the Rapha and RH have one.
At the bottom hem, all 3 had silicon rear grippers. The Rapha and Torm had elastic bands with adjusters, while the Road Holland did not.

Fit:
The large Rapha and Torm fit very close to each other, with the Torm having about ¾” wider shoulders and a bit (1”) more room at the midsection. Overall length was the same. Both fit closest to a Large Voler Race Cut.
The Medium Road Holland fit about 1” bigger all around, most closely fitting like a Large Voler Club Cut.

I added included some quick pics that might illustrate what I am talking about. Sorry the pics aren't great. Tough to have anything on a white jersey show up.
I hope this helps!
Steve

Hawker
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Love these sorts of comparos...thanks for the effort!

vqdriver
12-08-2011, 08:06 PM
thanks for the comparison. it's alway a big plus to know how they compare fitwise with the things we tend to buy online these days. you may not be a clothing pro but you clearly know more about the construction than i do, so that's greatly appreciated as well.

re the road holland jersey, you mention that it fits about 1" bigger all around, does that also include length?

Steve in SLO
12-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Yes,
The Road Holland is about 1" longer than the others.
Also to think about: I have a Rapha jersey that is white at the bottom, and it and the Road Holland both show grey or black bib straps thru the fabric.

Sorry, these pics really stink.

jghall
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the time and review Steve. Sounds like all 3 are excellent jerseys.

Who am I question one's fashion knowledge when the "flat-felled stitching with an elastic stitch pattern and all had bar-tacking at stress points" went well over mu head. ;)

akelman
12-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Steve, my Torm jerseys seem to be very slightly narrower in the shoulders than my Raphas. And the Torms also seem to have slightly longer sleeves (both are short sleeve). Would you agree?

akelman
12-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Also, I just want to make sure that I understand you correctly: are you saying that the Road Holland in size medium is larger than the Rapha or the Tomr, both of which are size large?

akelman
12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
And I just noticed that you said that the Torm has wider shoulders than the Rapha. Huh, that's weird, as it seems the opposite in size XL.

Steve in SLO
12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
The Torm has 3/4" wider shoulders than the Rapha Country jersey. Rapha Club may fit a bit bigger.

Yes, the Road Holland Med is larger than the either large jersey. This RH Utrecht is their most relaxed jersey.

BTW: all were new/unwashed.

bobswire
12-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Very nice looking jerseys, you have excellent taste. Let me know before you donate them to Goodwill. :rolleyes:

Fixed
12-08-2011, 10:45 PM
nice report

thanks
cheers

bloody sunday
12-08-2011, 10:52 PM
thank you for doing this review.

How long did it take to get a TORM jersey shipped to the U.S.?

Steve in SLO
12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi Bloody,
It took about 6-7 days to me in Calif.
Worth the wait, IMHO

pdmtong
12-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Steve, your insights here are much appreciated. I don't care for the collars on the RH kits, but was curious about Torm. Despite the similarities, these full sportwool jerseys remain a late fall early spring garment for me. anytime it is above 70d here in the bay area, my rapha classic is just too hot and I go for the synthetics - campy, demarchi, mavic, capo, exteondo, voler, pearl, champion systems, giordano.........

bloody sunday
12-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi Bloody,
It took about 6-7 days to me in Calif.
Worth the wait, IMHO

It's definitely going on my Christmas Wish List.

Steve in SLO
12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
pdmtong,
Agreed these are good transitional season jerseys. They aren't quite as warm as a full merino jersey under a wind jacket, and they are just a bit hotter than full merino when the temps warm up.

aoe
12-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks for doing this. It's rare to get fact-based comparisons like this with this much objective detail. So any verdict in ranking by quality or too close to call? I've got a few Rapha sportwools but I've been looking for alternatives. I'll also throw out a plug for a local startup. They're just getting up and running but I've seen the stuff and it's great quality, made locally by good guys, and understated. http://cedarcycling.com/

If you sign up with your email address they'll send you ordering info when production hits the market. I hope to get my hands on one soon and I'll update with a report.

Steve in SLO
12-09-2011, 12:15 AM
I will say that I was most impressed by the pocket stitching and reinforcement of the Torm jerseys. If you are a pocket stuffer, it seems the most bombproof of the three.
Other than that, it really comes down to fit/price, color/style selection and (of course with these three) marketing preference.

pdmtong
12-09-2011, 12:20 AM
steve...any chance you bought a torm long sleeve? I have to say the rapha LS work better for me than my pearl or campy LS jerseys in terms of regulating heat and blockiing wind. wonder if the torm jerseys deliver on this end too...

pdmtong
12-09-2011, 12:25 AM
and, am I converting this right...the SS torm's are about $60 USD?

gavingould
12-09-2011, 12:27 AM
very much appreciate the comparo, looks like i'll have to get a Tørm or two before nice weather rolls back around.

thanks!

akelman
12-09-2011, 12:32 AM
and, am I converting this right...the SS torm's are about $60 USD?

I think, based on current exchange rates, that they're a bit closer to $70. And shipping is another $7-$15, depending on how much you buy. That said, my jerseys also arrived from the UK to CA in a bit less than a week, which is pretty impressive considering that there's an ocean and a continent standing between the two.

aoe
12-09-2011, 12:55 AM
I will say that I was most impressed by the pocket stitching and reinforcement of the Torm jerseys. If you are a pocket stuffer, it seems the most bombproof of the three.
Other than that, it really comes down to fit/price, color/style selection and (of course with these three) marketing preference.
Thats great to know. I passed on Torm a couple years ago having not known anything about them. I think I'll give 'em a try. Thanks again.

Steve in SLO
12-09-2011, 02:00 AM
steve...any chance you bought a torm long sleeve? I have to say the rapha LS work better for me than my pearl or campy LS jerseys in terms of regulating heat and blockiing wind. wonder if the torm jerseys deliver on this end too...
Yes,
I bought a T5--really nice. I wore it on a ride that varied from 28-60 degrees (started with a wind jacket). It was transparent in that I didn't think of being cold or hot.

Hawker
12-09-2011, 02:12 PM
No offense meant...but are some of you wearing the Road Hollad jerseys that have the pointed collar? Is this more of a European style? Is there a market for this style jersey?

Steve in SLO
12-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm wearing the regular (not polo) style collar.

dk2ck
12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi Steve,

Did you happen to get arm warmers from Torm? If so, how do you like them?

Steve in SLO
12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes I did and I like them. I got the M/L and they are plenty long. Well-made, too.

dk2ck
12-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Yes I did and I like them. I got the M/L and they are plenty long. Well-made, too.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Steve. I noticed in your picture of the grey Torm jersey, the pockets are also grey. Is this the same for your T5? I was under the impression that Torm had changed the design of their jerseys so that all of the pockets were white panels (image here (http://torm.cc/image/cache/T4-Sub-white-back-9F40BD2A-B370-457A-951D-DE633DF50741-550x0-q80.jpg)) to avoid conflict with Rapha. They look much better without the white panels.

Thanks for the help!

Steve in SLO
12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Looks like all but the T5 jerseys have the white stripe now. Shame, as I like them better without it as well.

gearguywb
12-26-2011, 06:04 AM
As an FYI, Road Holland has a 20% off code right now. Not much left in LS but I went ahead and ordered a SS to try.

bloody sunday
10-19-2012, 07:47 PM
I bought a TORM jersey after I saw this thread. Received it a couple days before Christmas 2011.

I've had it for almost a year and it has served me very well. No pilling, rips, or threads coming loose.

I bought a full Rapha Classics kit last month and have been riding in that lately.

Comparing the two, I will say that TORM is on par, and well worth the price.

While, the quality on the Rapha is great, I won't buy another kit from them again simply because of the price. I could get a jersey from TORM that is comparable in quality. I just wish TORM would make bibs

bluesea
10-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Good follow up. :thumbsup:

tiretrax
10-19-2012, 10:53 PM
I've been wondering about the quality of Road Holland. I like the colors and the retro polo collars. I guess I'll wait until they have a big sale.

By the way, Rapha has a lifetime guarantee, so if the stitchin on the pockets does come apart, you can send it back.

dk2ck
10-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Torm baselayers?

CNY rider
10-20-2012, 06:11 AM
While, the quality on the Rapha is great, I won't buy another kit from them again simply because of the price.

Just wait a couple of months.
Get on their mailing list.
They usually have a Christmas sale that makes their stuff very reasonable.

bloody sunday
10-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Just wait a couple of months.
Get on their mailing list.
They usually have a Christmas sale that makes their stuff very reasonable.

well, i got the bibs from CC @ 20% off

and the discount for the classics pack was decent, but still $$$

even with their semi-annual sales, it's not that worth it to buy a kit from them.

and now that they don't sell to CC, it's really not ever worth it.

jlwdm
10-21-2012, 04:51 PM
well, i got the bibs from CC @ 20% off

and the discount for the classics pack was decent, but still $$$

even with their semi-annual sales, it's not that worth it to buy a kit from them.

and now that they don't sell to CC, it's really not ever worth it.

Make that "really not ever worth it" to you.

I buy products I like and wear them for a long time - end up being values for me. I hate spending money on things I don't really like. Road Holland and Torm don't make any jerseys that I like the looks of - so the price does not matter. I have some Rapha jerseys which I like a lot, but I have enough sport wool and wool and really want something different for any new jerseys.

Jeff

metalheart
10-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Any comments on Torm sizing?

I bought a TORM jersey after I saw this thread. Received it a couple days before Christmas 2011.

I've had it for almost a year and it has served me very well. No pilling, rips, or threads coming loose.

I bought a full Rapha Classics kit last month and have been riding in that lately.

Comparing the two, I will say that TORM is on par, and well worth the price.

While, the quality on the Rapha is great, I won't buy another kit from them again simply because of the price. I could get a jersey from TORM that is comparable in quality. I just wish TORM would make bibs

jmoore
10-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Any comments on Torm sizing?

I'm 6'5" and 230-ish and wear an XL in the Torm. It's fitted but not tight. It fits me great. I wear a XXL in Santini for comparison.

Love my Torm jersey, btw. Another one is on my Christmas list for sure.

metalheart
10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
i'm 5-11, 195-198, 44 chest .... I always seen to be just a bit big for a large. I have a year old Road Holland XL that is very loose on me, but seems like the Torm XL might be the right choice?