PDA

View Full Version : WTB: winter clothing size small

yoondaddy
12-08-2011, 01:53 PM
It's my first winter in Chicago and am looking to get some winter clothes for the occasional outside ride. I'm looking for everything from thermal bibs to jackets. I'm 5'7 140. I'm on a tight budget. Let me know if you have anything laying around. Thanks.

veloduffer
12-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I highly recommend the Performance Triflex Tights (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1108940_-1_1630511_20000_400066#ReviewHeader), which are currently on sale for $69.99. My triflex tights are over 10 yrs old and still going strong. Great wind blockage in the front and breathability in the back. Get the ones without a pad/chamois so you can layer over your shorts - that provides added wind protection for the jewels and you don't have to wash the tights after every use.

I use my triflex for weather below 30 deg. I find them warmer than my Pearl Izumi AmFibs.

After that, you can just layer with clothes you already have. A rain jacket with pit zips is the ideal outer layer - wind proof and light. I usually wear a base layer and short or long sleeve jersey underneath (wool is good). You want to feel a bit cold when you walk out the door, otherwise you'll overheat and perspire on the ride (and you'll end up cold if you have to stop and start again, like fixing a flat).

On your head, you can get a cheap fleece liner and/or helmet cover. If it can't fit under your helmet, buy a cheap helmet in the next size up (the few vents in the cheap helmet is actually preferable for winter riding).

benitosan1972
12-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I have a Castelli thermal/waterproof jacket that was like $200+ new.
I have a Capo Atlas thermal longsleeve jersey + matching shortsleeve jersey.
I don't have any thermal bibs or tights to offer though, sorry!

PM if interested & to tell me your budget on these types of items.