PDA

View Full Version : The Badger is back

David Kirk
08-03-2005, 09:16 AM
OK..........not the "badger" you are thinking of but a real one. The last few mornings we've had a real badger ( no La Vie Clair jersey) hanging around the driveway. They look so cool.....from a distance.

We live in a typical suburb but we get all kinds of crazy wildlife passing through. We had a fox this spring and a few antalope last fall. I also found a Black Widow in the garage the other day.............I like the badger better. This is a very cool place.

Dave

AHava
08-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Too cool. I'd love to see a badger.

Getting out early on the bicycle leads to great wildlife sightings. Some recent highlights from the town of Evanston, IL:

Coyote
Fox
Flying squirrel
Sandhill Crane
Black-crowned night heron

My neighbor has the lovely habit of feeding feral cats, so we get herds of possum and racoons traipsing through the lillies. My dog's constantly wrassling with them, poor guy.

champlemon
08-03-2005, 09:35 AM
I've been riding the Key Biscayne, Florida loop for about 12 years and last weekend for the first time I saw 4 green iguanas very close to the road. They were about 2 feet long.

spiderlake
08-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Nothing to do with a badger but one of my favorite MTB trails, the VASA, regularly features deer bounding across the trail as I ride through..... It's like they wait for a rider to come through just so they can show off their leaping abilities. They always stop and look back as if to question my reason for being there.

Kevan
08-03-2005, 10:37 AM
No really... it's a good brush.

Love seeing wildlife upclose and personal.

GregL
08-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Having heard so much about the climb to Lake Desolation on this forum, I tried it out myself last month. I left from my wife's family camp on Great Sacandaga Lake early (7:00 AM) on July 4th and rode southeast to start the climb at Middle Grove. As I crested the Lake Desolation climb and looked north toward the lake and "village," a large black bear ambled across the road from right to left about 100 feet ahead of me. He looked over his shoulder at me and calmly kept going. As the adrenalin pumped into my system, I went from "fatigued from the climb" to "ready to race" back down the hill!

The rest of the ride was a bit less exciting, with only three deer to dodge as I proceeded north over the dirt road back to Sacandaga.

grateful
08-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I came home the other night and pulled into my garage. Low and behold there was a big ole bull elk eating my horse grain. Scared me (and the elk) to death. We have a red tailed fox in ne neighborhood as well. I loved the storm last night, it was intense!

Fixed
08-03-2005, 01:10 PM
We have some big mean rats in my hood.Cheers

dirtdigger88
08-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I have an opossum that live on my porch- she share food with the stray cats we feed- she even brings her babies around- Interesting fact- opossums are I believe one of the only animals that will not get rabies- Who says there is no wildlife in the city

Jason

Bill Bove
08-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Let's see, I've seen a water moccasin watch me change a flat :eek: aligators and dolphin swimming in the intercoastal as I've rode along it, all kinds of dogs, cats, horses, cows etc as I rode past but the scariest thing I've ever seen was Rush Limbaugh in his convertable next to me at a red light in Palm Beach one morning. I did not identify myself as the guy who throws his empty Gu packs in his yard every morning.

Dekonick
08-03-2005, 02:04 PM
I saw some roadkill :D

looked suspiciously like Sandy :bike:

Too Tall
08-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Dave, when I was working in WY I'd play a game with Badgers. See if you can out run them to their hole before they turn and claw you to bits. It's really fun and scares the carp outta you at the same time. We didn't have much to do derrr.

Man, when they stand their ground reminds me of my aunt Gerdie at sunday brunch. shudder.

Fixed
08-03-2005, 02:32 PM
[the scariest thing I've ever seen was Rush Limbaugh in his convertable next to me at a red light in Palm Beach one morning. I did not identify myself as the guy who throws his empty Gu packs in his yard every morning.[/QUOTE]
You have my repect bro.Cheers

Vancouverdave
08-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Portland/Vancouver isn't real wild anymore, but I did see the biggest, healthiest looking coyote ever one night last winter when riding in SW Portland. I grew up in LA and never saw one as big or sleek there--or one who'd brazenly strut down the middle of a well-lit street, either!

Too Tall
08-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Coyote???? Gives me a giggle. I told my dying dad a Coyote joke and made him laugh like he!!. Can't even think of a coyote now without giggling and thinking about dad.

Yep, urban Coyotes have laid waste lots of neignborhood kittys.

CNY rider
08-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Up here I run across (errr bad choice of words) quite a few turtles, as my area has many beaver ponds. The little painted guys are easy enough to pick up and put to the side of the road.

But you should see the snappers. They are like prehistoric beasts. They can whip their head out all the way around their body and they have jaws of steel. I go get the biggest stick I can find, more like a tree limb if possible, and use it to shove them off the road. No mater how big the club I go find to push/prod them with, I always wish it was bigger after a couple of strikes. They look like they could take most of my foot off without trying too hard.

Tom
08-04-2005, 05:58 AM
I'm jealous. I wasn't sure where I was riding today and now I know.

William
08-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Badger??? Too cool. :cool:

Recent sightings on my rides:
Deer
Fox
Wild Turkeys
Woodchuck
Nutria (Do they live out here? I sure looked like one)
Red Tail Hawks
Kamakazi Squirrles
A Bull (really)

William

Birddog
08-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Coincidentally, I saw a Badger last week on a morning ride. It was the first Badger I've ever seen in OK. I had to check to see if OK was even on the list of habitats (about half the state is). This guy was on the small side, but definitely took exception to my sneaking up on him from behind. He raised up and gave me a menacing hiss/snarl with full fangs and claws exposed. The only other Badger I've seen was in Wyoming, near Flaming Gorge, and he was a monster! I've also seen two Bobcat this year in addition to the regulars like Deer, Coyotes,Turkeys, Fox, Skunks, Racoons, Possum, Dillos etc.

Birddog

DRZRM
08-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Long time reader, first time poster (I just registered last week). I've been riding in Sag Harbor, NY, and I saw a family of wild turkeys yesterday and a fox last week, and this areas is practically overrun by deer. I'm always amazed by the sheer volume of wildlife this close to NYC.

spiderman
08-04-2005, 09:20 AM
earlier in the summer i dragged a manhole sized snapper
off the highway to safety...10/2 position on the shell
right behind the head...man do those monsters know how to snap/hiss!
on the way to ragbrai we spotted a mountain lion.
after camping on ragbrai with my wife
my 10 year old daughter wanted to camp out...
we went to gull point state park with our bikes and tent.
that evening we saw 6 deer (amongst them twin fauns 10 feet away!)
we also came upon an eagle eating a wriggling something in the ditch.
it spooked up right beside us and swooped right over our heads...

Serpico
08-04-2005, 07:42 PM
The Badger is back

nault Hinault? :confused: