PDA

View Full Version : 10S Campy Ergo/Shimano RD&FD/Jtek Shiftmate for a Triple?

sjpitts
12-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I want to build up a Lemond Maillot Juane up for my wife. I want to use post 2001 Campy 10 speed Ergos (Centaur), a Shimano Ultegra Long Cage 6503 rear derailleur, Ultegra 6503 front derailleur, Ultegra 6503 triple cranks, and a shimano nine speed cassette.

According to JTEK's website, I need to use a model #2 shiftmate for 10S Ergos with 9 Speed Shimano. Seems simple enough.

But will the 10S Campy Ergos work with a shimano triple front?

My understanding is that the way Campy ergo's work they can all be used for campy triples, but is it also true that they will work with shimano triples? I don't see why not, but I figured I would ask.

Also, if anyone has a #2 shiftmate for sale or trade I would be definitely interested.

Thanks

Jared

pavel
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
The micro-shifting nature of a campy ergo front shifter will allow it to work with just about anything. Go for it!

oldpotatoe
12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I want to build up a Lemond Maillot Juane up for my wife. I want to use post 2001 Campy 10 speed Ergos (Centaur), a Shimano Ultegra Long Cage 6503 rear derailleur, Ultegra 6503 front derailleur, Ultegra 6503 triple cranks, and a shimano nine speed cassette.

According to JTEK's website, I need to use a model #2 shiftmate for 10S Ergos with 9 Speed Shimano. Seems simple enough.

But will the 10S Campy Ergos work with a shimano triple front?

My understanding is that the way Campy ergo's work they can all be used for campy triples, but is it also true that they will work with shimano triples? I don't see why not, but I figured I would ask.

Also, if anyone has a #2 shiftmate for sale or trade I would be definitely interested.

Thanks

Jared

ERGO will work fine with shimano triple FD and crank. Also, for info, Campagnolo 10s ERGO and Campagnolo long cage RD, like Comp will shift shimano 9s spacing really well, using a shimano 9s chain. Done this a more than a few touring rigs that have a handlebar bag(hence ERGO) and low gearing, like 11-32 or so.

sjpitts
12-07-2011, 04:09 PM
ERGO will work fine with shimano triple FD and crank. Also, for info, Campagnolo 10s ERGO and Campagnolo long cage RD, like Comp will shift shimano 9s spacing really well, using a shimano 9s chain. Done this a more than a few touring rigs that have a handlebar bag(hence ERGO) and low gearing, like 11-32 or so.

I didn't know that was an option. I don't have a long cage comp RD, but it might not bee too much more than getting a shiftmate model 2.

Jared

Dave
12-07-2011, 05:50 PM
It's interesting how many people claim that a Shimano triple FD will work with a Campy shifter. A few years ago, when I was still running a Campy 10 triple, I bought a DA triple FD and tried it with my 53/39/28 FSA triple crank. I fiddled with it for a couple of hours and never could get decent shifting from it. I put my Campy FD back on and had it working perfectly in a few minutes.

Campy ergo levers do not have "microshifting". Only 3-4 clicks are used for a double FD and 7 are needed for a triple. The pre-2009 shifters have 12 clicks available, but they are worthless, since it only takes 3-7 to operate any FD I've tried. The new ergo levers have about the same total travel in 6 clicks that the old ones had in 7. With a double crank, only 3 clicks are needed.