PDA

View Full Version : Just lost an eBay auction

saab2000
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Kids,

I just lost out on an auction for a pair of Nucleon tubulars, with Vittoria tires. I bit $361.00 as my final bid and I am bummed out. Of all the hi-zoot stuff I have bought in the past few years, my Nucleons have been the best purchase. They live up to their reputation and the jerk did not steer me wrong when he told me they are good.

So I tried to get a second pair and feel jealous that someone else got them.

Anyway, I cannot really spend too much money.

Maybe I should check out the Cane Creeks. E-Ritchie claims to get more tail than Sinatra because they use them.

Louis
08-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Maybe I should check out the Cane Creeks. E-Ritchie claims to get more tail than Sinatra because they use them.

You know, I have to find some of these mythical women of which E-Ritchie speaks. Women who judge men based on the wheels on their bikes, a rare breed indeed. Although, with my MA-40, MA-3s and Open Pros with basic Campy and Shimano hubs, I don't think I would rate very high... Maybe that's my problem!

Louis

Fixed
08-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Saab I know the feeling I get all my suff off e-Bay. That would have been a good price.What was the winning bid? You know this I bet, but don't bid until the last moment and set your watch so you know the time left. I lose stuff all the time. it seems odd but if you keep watching you'll find some more wheels. Cheers

saab2000
08-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Mr. Louis,

That is exactly your problem. I was in a severe drought until someone in Switzerland became aware of the fact that I ride Nucleon tubulars. Not only that, Nucleon tubulars with Veloflex criteriums. It just don't get any better than that and the chicks who know know it.

But you are right, they are few and far between.

saab2000
08-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Fixed,

I don't know what the winning bid was. I don't really want to know because it would be really frustrating to find out that it was just $5 or so more than my bid.

Anyway, I am not too upset. I don't get the wheels, but I do get to keep my money. Not a bad tradeoff I guess.

Dekonick
08-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Fixxed - Dont feel too bad. Sinatra aint getting much tail now...

Dr. Doofus
08-03-2005, 05:38 AM
You know, I have to find some of these mythical women of which E-Ritchie speaks

he wins them over one by one

sends them out to spread the word

(and kick ***)

doof stood near one such woman at the race sunday

he saw her sachs socks

she saw his sachs t-shirt

they checked out each others lugs

she showed the taste to race a sachs, the grace to smile politely at doof's giordana

there is a rolling female sachs cult

bostondrunk
08-03-2005, 06:00 AM
Kids,

I just lost out on an auction for a pair of Nucleon tubulars, with Vittoria tires. I bit $361.00 as my final bid and I am bummed out. Of all the hi-zoot stuff I have bought in the past few years, my Nucleons have been the best purchase. They live up to their reputation and the jerk did not steer me wrong when he told me they are good.

So I tried to get a second pair and feel jealous that someone else got them.

Anyway, I cannot really spend too much money.

If you like Nucleons, why not just build your own set? Get a set of Chorus or Record hubs, and a light set of 28 hole tubie rims (tons available on ebay at any given time), use revos on the front, double butted 15's on the back, alloy nips on all but the drive side rear.

H.Frank Beshear
08-03-2005, 07:12 AM
first and all. Theres another set on there that will end in a day and a half. http://cgi.ebay.com/Campy-Nucleon-Wheelset-700c-tubular_W0QQitemZ7172710886QQcategoryZ58096QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem I like to help spend OPM (other peoples money) :D :banana: Frank

saab2000
08-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Frank,

Thanks for the link. The funny thing about those wheels is that they are not Nucleons. Nukes have radial spoking in the front and fewer spokes in the rear. That guy is selling some false advertised.

Bostondrunk,

I don't think a set of handbuilt tubulars will match the stiffness of the nucleons. I have some tubulars which I built on 8-speed hubs and they are nice. But the nukes have a very solid, stiff feel I have not felt in "normal" wheels. I got a set here in the classifieds for a very good price and I like them a lot. Well, getting to keep my money is not a bad thing either.

bostondrunk
08-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Frank,

Thanks for the link. The funny thing about those wheels is that they are not Nucleons. Nukes have radial spoking in the front and fewer spokes in the rear. That guy is selling some false advertised.

Bostondrunk,

I don't think a set of handbuilt tubulars will match the stiffness of the nucleons. I have some tubulars which I built on 8-speed hubs and they are nice. But the nukes have a very solid, stiff feel I have not felt in "normal" wheels. I got a set here in the classifieds for a very good price and I like them a lot. Well, getting to keep my money is not a bad thing either.

If built properly, a hand built set will be just as stiff/strong as the nucleons. But whatever turns ya on... :beer:

Onno
08-03-2005, 08:36 AM
In my limited experience, to win an ebay bid you need to enter your bid in the last minute of the auction. A friend told me that ebay even offers a service (called snipe or something like that) that will automatically enter a bid in the last minute for you, which seems pretty sleezy (offering the service, that is--doing it yourself seems like fair play).

Onno

saab2000
08-03-2005, 08:48 AM
If built properly, a hand built set will be just as stiff/strong as the nucleons. But whatever turns ya on... :beer:

I would dispute this claim. The reason is that the Nucleon/Neutron have my favorite feature - offset spoking on the rear wheel. If someone would come out with a tubular rim with offset spoking I would be on it. The non-drive spokes on wheels built with Campy hubs tend to be somewhat slack.

That is not to say that really good wheels cannot be built though. Tom Boonen won Paris-Roubaix and maybe also the Ronde van Vlaanderen on handbuilt tubulars. So there is life left in them.

Bottom line is that I like my Nucleons, even if they are not measurably better than other wheels.

Bill Bove
08-03-2005, 08:49 AM
SAAB, I just checked out that auction, those are Nucleons. The first generation had silver rims and hubs, the hubs had the same shape but were not oversize. this set appears to be clinchers. I have a rear Nucleon sew up and wouldn't mind picking up a front some time. When I gave up racing a couple years ago I sold my sew up Nucleons and bought a pair of clincher Neutrons. I like them fine but find myself looking for a tubular wheelset for those fast group rides every now and then. As good as clinchers get, and they have gotten very good, nothing beats a sew up. Nothing.

saab2000
08-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Bill, well, you know more than I do. But those look to me just like normal wheels.

Anyway, you are right about the sew ups. I got in about 50 miles last night on my Nucleons with Veloflex criteriums and they just feel sublime.

dave thompson
08-03-2005, 09:04 AM
........I don't know what the winning bid was. I don't really want to know because it would be really frustrating to find out that it was just $5 or so more than my bid.

It was.
http://sporting-goods.search-completed.ebay.com/Nucleon_Cycling_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQc oactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcoentrypageZs earchQQcopagenumZ1QQcopagenumZ1QQfclZ3QQfisZ2QQfpo sZQ5AIPQ2fPostalQQfromZR10QQfrppZ100QQfsooZ1QQfsop Z1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ7294QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ 2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsoZShowQ20ItemsQQsofocusZ bs

If you would like some help with this for the future e-mail me davetspokane1@comcast.net and I'll be glad to share some stuff that will greatly help you.

Dave

chrisroph
08-03-2005, 09:12 AM
saab--Keep looking. I got my nuc tubs used on RBR for about $350 without having to bid and worry about getting sniped. Also, you'd like the clinchers too and there are more of those available.

djg
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
First, there will be more. Second, I lost out too (I bid 3-something and was winning at some point on the last day, when I came back later and saw 366 and rising, plus shipping, plus an unknown, if well-rated, seller, I balked, figuring I didn't want to push at or over 400 to get them).