PDA

View Full Version : The makings of a coupled Titanium Bike - complete new pics

Smiley
12-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Care to guess what we are doing with these :)

see final post in this thread :)

Smiley
12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
very soon the grand reveal :banana:

AngryScientist
12-06-2011, 07:15 PM
great!

cant wait to see how this one comes out, i know they are in the hands of a master. :beer:

rugbysecondrow
12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Oooooooooaaaaaaaaa

Birddog
12-06-2011, 08:06 PM
High end shower curtain rods?

tv_vt
12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Kinda look like new knees for the Tin Man...

pitcrew
12-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Robotic titanium knee caps/legs?

Fixed
12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
nasa
new project to help mankind (cyclist )
cheers looks cool

old_fat_and_slow
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Coupled Ti tandem ?

Jack Brunk
12-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I think he's keeping Kelley working for the pimp master that he his. Looks killer. Maybe this coming spring for me on a visit to the east coast. I need a frame hooker.

Dekonick
12-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Hey, My Hors Cat was first!

Kontact
12-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm always a little surprised more people aren't appalled by these things. A necessary evil to get a better checked bag price.

echappist
12-07-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm always a little surprised more people aren't appalled by these things. A necessary evil to get a better checked bag price.
appalled? who let this heretic in ;)

yes, it's the price to pay to save on checked bag fees...

jpw
12-07-2011, 04:36 AM

I disagree. The airport is just the beginning of the convenience of a coupled bike. Using a taxi to the hotel becomes a breeze, checking in to the room becomes a breeze, storing becomes a breeze, moving on to another town by train becomes a breeze, et.c., et.c....it's not just the airline fees that count - I think that is a minor consideration. :beer:

rugbysecondrow
12-07-2011, 05:52 AM
I disagree. The airport is just the beginning of the convenience of a coupled bike. Using a taxi to the hotel becomes a breeze, checking in to the room becomes a breeze, storing becomes a breeze, moving on to another town by train becomes a breeze, et.c., et.c....it's not just the airline fees that count - I think that is a minor consideration. :beer:

In addition to long road trips where space counts, being able to store your bike in your car during the day for rides after work. A great option. You spend extra $$ but you get so much more bike.

gearguywb
12-07-2011, 05:59 AM

One of the best things invented for a cyclist, IMHO. Allows you to travel with YOUR bike. No trying to rent a bike that "sorta" fits, no trying to stuff a full size bike box into a rental car, etc. etc.

soulspinner
12-07-2011, 06:01 AM
I think he's keeping Kelley working for the pimp master that he his. Looks killer. Maybe this coming spring for me on a visit to the east coast. I need a frame hooker.

:p

AngryScientist
12-07-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm always a little surprised more people aren't appalled by these things.

why would anyone be appalled? maybe it's the engineer in me, but i dig the very functional, industrial look of couplers. to each their own i guess.

a4racer
12-07-2011, 08:15 AM
you are all wrong, they are threaded bar end extensions. :D

Kontact
12-07-2011, 08:17 AM
why would anyone be appalled? maybe it's the engineer in me, but i dig the very functional, industrial look of couplers. to each their own i guess.
Just because the graceful lines of the frame are interrupted by these standardized and large adornments. No argument with their utility - but utility often comes at an aesthetic price.

znfdl
12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Looks like my Spectrum pre-paint

tiretrax
12-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Making me want to add to my horde, I mean collection. Anyone want to sell a coupled Ti frame, 57 cm?

CaptStash
12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Making me want to add to my horde, I mean collection. Anyone want to sell a coupled Ti frame, 57 cm?

I got one but I ain't selling! Bwahhahahaha!

Bob Ross
12-08-2011, 08:04 AM
The airport is just the beginning of the convenience of a coupled bike. Using a taxi to the hotel becomes a breeze, checking in to the room becomes a breeze, storing becomes a breeze, moving on to another town by train becomes a breeze, et.c., et.c....it's not just the airline fees that count

I second all the above (I am just giddy with laughter every time I wheel my S&S hard case through an airport with astounding ease)...except
The thing about taxis turns out to only be valid if you're travelling with a single coupled bike; as soon as you have two of them, you're back in that Oh-Crap-We-Need-To-Hire-A-Mini-Van situation. Which actually surprised me, because I was able to get two S&S hard cases into the trunk of a compact rental car last Spring...but have had no success getting them into the trunk of a standard yellow cab.

because the graceful lines of the frame are interrupted by these standardized and large adornments.

I understand that sentiment, & frankly would have expected more people to share it...but fwiw I can't count how many times people have come up to me, pointed at my couplers, and said something to the effect of "What are those? They're gorgeous!"

rugbysecondrow
12-08-2011, 08:16 AM
I

I understand that sentiment, & frankly would have expected more people to share it...but fwiw I can't count how many times people have come up to me, pointed at my couplers, and said something to the effect of "What are those? They're gorgeous!"

I think Couplers are the most useful jewlery a bike can have. Even if you don't think they look nice, the purpose of a bike is to provide utility. Even as an art, the purposefullness is what makes it so attractive, which brings us back to couplers. :beer:

To each their own.

Smiley
12-08-2011, 01:05 PM
The bulk of my Bedford sales are S&S bikes cause quite frankly my clients like the travel, packing and shipping options these provide for a bike.
I have traveled extensively now with my S&S Co-Mo tandem and that is TWO freaking S&S cases along with 2 suite cases for our clothes and believe it or not we managed to find small coupe taxi in Mallorca Spain that could take us and all our stuff in the back of the cab.
We rented a Hyundia sedan, folded the back seat down while in Nor Cal going to Paso Robles with our tandem and gear and had no issues fitting the 2 cases and our personal bags in the back seat. OPTIONS we would NEVER had without couplers. :banana: :banana: :banana:

vjp
12-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I don't have a coupled bike although I have often thought that I would like one. I don't mind the look of the S&S couplers but I think that the Ritchey ones are way nicer.

echappist
12-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't have a coupled bike although I have often thought that I would like one. I don't mind the look of the S&S couplers but I think that the Ritchey ones are way nicer.
some of them are over 62 dimensional inches

zap
12-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Coupled Ti bikes makes perfect sense to me.

Not the best performer but hell, shrink it, pack it, travel, gets knocked around a bit, no paint, no rust, no worries, just ride and enjoy.

Tim Porter
12-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Muddy wet Mallorca:

http://gallery.me.com/timporter1/100154/IMG_0078/web.jpg?ver=13233837660001

Serotta Legend--no decals or paint.

572cv
12-08-2011, 04:48 PM
They really make adventures like this a lot easier. Value of S&S couplers on your Serotta at the top of the Aubisque? priceless...

jamesutiopia
12-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Good choice! IME Ti (preferably straight gauge) resists TSA induced trauma better than the other S&S-compatible materials...

Nags&Ducs
12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
some of them are over 62 dimensional inches

Question onthe Ritcheys: could they not fit in an S&S case? My coupled Dean Ti has at least a couple of inches either side of the case edge and it seems to me that the ritchey would fit. But I don't know for sure. Anyone ever try it?

aoe
12-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Speaking of the cases, which case is the one people prefer? I'm trying to decide between the 10" side pull, original, and the telescoping side pull. The telescoping handle seems convenient but it's odd that it comes at a $140 premium over the original. And anyone with the 12" and are you able to sneak by as standard airline luggage?

Smiley
12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Speaking of the cases, which case is the one people prefer? I'm trying to decide between the 10" side pull, original, and the telescoping side pull. The telescoping handle seems convenient but it's odd that it comes at a $140 premium over the original. And anyone with the 12" and are you able to sneak by as standard airline luggage?

Keep it simple as the baggage handlers will kill any case you ship through. The standard side pull works fine. And never a problem when you use a S&S case, I always say bike parts cause that is what is in the case at the time.

djg
12-09-2011, 07:17 AM
They really make adventures like this a lot easier. Value of S&S couplers on your Serotta at the top of the Aubisque? priceless...

572 -- cannot quite make out the writing -- is that a big green jersey? Did you race up there?

oldpotatoe
12-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Size notwithstanding, a Ritchey Break-away is a great choice. Rides well, very secure, much less expensive. I rode one in SF for 3 days and it rode like a nice steel frame. No issues, no problems. If it fits ya, great travel bike. At the airport, they didn't ask what it was, looked like a suitcase, checked like a suitcase.

For somebody that has to have a Moots or Waterford, and travel, of course S&S but if they just want a travel bike, Ritchey is a good choice, IMHO.

Smiley
12-12-2011, 09:21 AM
fresh off Andy Keech's torch