PDA

View Full Version : ST 6510 Question

Ken C
12-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I am setting up a road bike for my wife. I bought 9 speed ultegra STIs off craigslist so I can use them with an XT RD and a 11-32 cassette. I am using a compact crank and a sora double fd. I have the rear shifter, derailleur and chain installed and it is shifting well.

These are the ST 6510 STIs which are double or triple compatible. They seem to have more clicks than my 6600 STIs. Is there anything that needs to be done on the lever to select double or triple or is that taken care of soley through the limit screws on the FD? I have only installed 10 speed STIs which were double specific.

Thanks

Ken

PSC
12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Shimano only made the 6510 shifter as a triple that would work with the double. With my compact setup I clicked all the away down and then took up as much cable tension as I could. I have my bike set up so I don't need to trim in the small or big ring. I have older 105 levers and the trim is quite noticeable. On the 6510 is is much less pronounced. I know this wasn't that clear but I hope it helps.

rccardr
12-06-2011, 08:26 PM
...and I did exactly the opposite. I went all the way up, then down a click to set up the inner ring. Works perfectly.

chismog
12-06-2011, 10:58 PM
...and I did exactly the opposite. I went all the way up, then down a click to set up the inner ring. Works perfectly.

This is interesting. I would think that the remaining lever clicks down would release a bunch of cable. Can you elaborate on how you got this to work?

My experience with the Ultegra triple levers and a double is that it shifts "pretty good". Functionally the same as a double, the stops limit the throw of the derailleur. There are extra clicks in the lever vs the standard double, which may not work perfectly as trim indents. I think you'll have no problem though. Unless the poster above has a magic new insight, setup as usual.

Ken C
12-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Shimano only made the 6510 shifter as a triple that would work with the double. With my compact setup I clicked all the away down and then took up as much cable tension as I could. I have my bike set up so I don't need to trim in the small or big ring. I have older 105 levers and the trim is quite noticeable. On the 6510 is is much less pronounced. I know this wasn't that clear but I hope it helps.

Are you sure, the tech docs for it include usage with both double and triple rd.

rccardr
12-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Can you elaborate on how you got this to work?

I'm using them with a compact crank and started by going all the way down to the bottom and setting the cable tension, then goin up one full stroke to get on the big ring and check the upper limit screw. Worked OK, but for some reason the downshift was not as clean as I liked. After riding it that way for a couple hundred miles, I put it back on the stand and started by going all the way to the top and then releasing one full stroke. Set the cable tension & checked the upper limit, then took it for a ride.

That was 4-500 miles ago and I have to say it shifts more cleanly. Never thought about shifting down more while already in the small ring but will see what happens next time I ride it.

PSC
12-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes the 6510 shifters work with both triple and double set ups. When Dura Ace went to a triple set up in 9spd, they had specific double and triple shift levers for the front deraileur. The rear it doesn't matter. Looking at your original post, you just need to set the limit screws on the front deraileur and it should work fine.

Ken C
12-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes the 6510 shifters work with both triple and double set ups. When Dura Ace went to a triple set up in 9spd, they had specific double and triple shift levers for the front deraileur. The rear it doesn't matter. Looking at your original post, you just need to set the limit screws on the front deraileur and it should work fine.

Cool, thanks for the clarification, that is what I was thinking. I just could not tell from the tech docs. That helps, thanks for the replies.