PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a dealer?

lencap
08-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi, Ive been away from biking for many years, and I'm trying to get back. I asked this forum for some information about a week ago, and the replies were very helpful. Thanks to all.

Now that I've decided to explore further, I'm interested in Serotta, but still recovering from sticker shock. So, the the first question is: Why Serotta over other brands? Has your ownership experience been what you hoped?

Second question: How do I find the right dealer? There are not many in NC, and although all Serotta dealers are certified to fit you properly, I'm sure some do a better job than others. Given the size of the investment in Serotta bikes, I'd like to have a high degree of confidence that I'm getting the best fit possible, and the best followup service.

Does anyone have experience with NC Serotta dealers? I don't mind travelling to get the right one.

Thanks again.

Smiley
08-02-2005, 08:19 PM
see Lori Hoefer , ex-serotta sales manager turned bike shop owner in Carey NC . She's the best in my book .

Doc Austin
08-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Well, too bad you aren't in Clearwater because our Serotta dealer is terrffic.

There is so much to know about bicycles when choosing a high end one. There's materials, geometry, construction, bla, bla, bla, and it was a bunch of research I didn't want to do. I just wanted to get the best bike I could get and ride the crap out of it.

I lucked out on my first Serotta and my shop got a barely used one in my size.
They cut me such a sweet deal there was no way to go home without it. Honestly, I would have never spent the retail price on a bike like a Serotta before I got my CSI, but it didn't take alot of miles to completely change my thinking about bicycles. Once you are committed to spending a stupid amount of money, just go ahead and spend the extra and know you are getting the best.

After 30,000 miles I decided I had earned a new one, so when I ordered the TI, I just told my mechanic we had an open checkbook and build it like it would be his own. It hurt like hell to cut that check too, but there was never a minute's doubt in my mind, and hasn't been since, that I could have gotten a better bike, especially for what I spent.

As I'm writing this, the irony does not escape me that I just got back from a ride on the old warhog CSI.

As far as the ownership experience, a day doesn't go by on a ride that someone doesn't tell me that my bike is cool or beautiful, and both of them are.

Serotta went so far above and beyond on a warranty issue that there's no way I'll ever even consider looking at another brand of bicycle. After 30,000 miles a bicycle company doesn't owe the customer a damm thing, but they knocked themselves out to make sure I was happy, and I ordered my TI the next day because of it.

You're not going to do any better than a Serotta, IMHO, of course.

Peter
08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
The relationship you have with a dealer should be like a friendship. Visit several Serotta dealers and talk with the various people there or better yet, just hang out like a "just browsing" customer and get a feel for the vibe.

The dealer whose appearance and attitude you like the most is the one you should patronize; just like how you pick good friends.

aLexis
08-04-2005, 08:30 AM
I second Smiley's advice. Lori not only knows her fit and her product, but you can't ask for a nicer person. Her shop is Cycling Specifics.

Are you still reading this? You should be calling Lori by now. :)