PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Armadillos

fiamme red
12-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Do they ride as harshly as I remember? I'm thinking about giving them another try, after getting a number of punctures due to glass recently.

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/global/ARMADILLO_HEADER_3.jpg

SuperColnago
12-05-2011, 10:33 PM
I have ridden 3000km on a pair of Armadillo 700x28s on a Trek Hybrid commuting to work (when I lived in Ottawa). They are bulletproof as you say, a little harsh, but passable, imo. When I switched to Bontrager Racelites, I preferred the Armadillos, the Racelites had noticeably less traction in wet road conditions.

As they say here in Australia, "Harsh, but Fair" !

Cheers Mate

bike22
12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
they ride extremely poorly, hands-down the worst riding tire i have ever used.

they are the most durable tire i have ever used- to punctures and also in longevity. the only thing more flat-proof are solid tires, which are actually made in 700c.

they are popular with bike messengers and brake-less fixed gear riders due to the extremely hard/durable tread compound that is resistant to wear from skid stopping.

imo, there are other tires out there that ride way better and have nearly the same level of flat protection and are also especially durable. i recommend conti gatorskins in this regard.

veggieburger
12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Agreed. What he said...

KF9YR
12-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I rode on Armadillos from 2009 until October 2010 (around 10k miles).

I bought a set of GP4000s. I will never ride on Armadillos again.

I live in Phoenix and I will deal with an occasional flat rather than go back to those slow harsh tires.

Of course ymmv but you asked for opinions.

The Armadillos lasted me around 3000 miles on the rear and 5000 on the front...

gasman
12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
It depends what you want. The Armadillo Elites ride a bit better and there is nothing better for flat protection. I've tried a whole slew of tires-Conti Gatorskins included, GP4000, Schwable Durano etc.

I've gone back to armadillos elites to commute. There's nothing like fixing a flat, at night ,in the cold Oregon rain to change your mind about the lousy ride. Of course I had about 12 flats this last year.

I just tell myself HTFU and put up with the poor ride.

I don't run them on my winter training bike-I use the alternatives.

akelman
12-05-2011, 11:51 PM
i recommend conti gatorskins in this regard

Truth. Armadillos are just silly uncomfortable. Gatorskins provide all the protection that one could rationally seek -- unless one is commuting on a course of broken glass, nails, and the occasional thorn -- but still ride like they're made out of rubber rather than stone.

TimmyB
12-06-2011, 01:47 AM
they ride extremely poorly, hands-down the worst riding tire i have ever used.

they are the most durable tire i have ever used- to punctures and also in longevity. the only thing more flat-proof are solid tires, which are actually made in 700c.

they are popular with bike messengers and brake-less fixed gear riders due to the extremely hard/durable tread compound that is resistant to wear from skid stopping.

imo, there are other tires out there that ride way better and have nearly the same level of flat protection and are also especially durable. i recommend conti gatorskins in this regard.
This, exactly this. I had armadillos for far too long, as training tires. Got one flat where the valve separated from the tube from pumping up every day. There was still life left after that; eventually gave them to a friend for a beater because I hated how ****ty they rode. Gatorskins are a solid bet for riding pretty alright and still having great flat protection.

Nooch
12-06-2011, 06:06 AM
I've used the armadillo elite and the armadillo roubaix and I actually thought the ride was just fine. But maybe I'm just not as sensitive to it as you folks are...

jeffreyt
12-06-2011, 07:17 AM
The Armadillo Elites ride is not an issue. I'm currently using the 700x23 on my fixed gear bike and have had no issues with the ride or longevity of the tire. There is nothing worse then having to take your heavy winter gloves off and trying to fix a flat tire when it's below freezing.

I cut the sidewall on a Conti Gatorskin in under two weeks and never went back to them because of there price.

TAW
12-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Not only do they not ride well, they're a pain to put on no matter what rim. I hate it when people buy them at the shop and then ask me to mount them. I ask, "are you SURE you want those?" ;)

christian
12-06-2011, 09:27 AM
This is what I once wrote on this forum about the Rivendell Ruffy-Tuffy:
The Ruffy Tuffys, however, might be the worst-riding tire ever, save the Specialized Armadillo. Riding them is like hobbyhorsing a moped. With flat tires. Really, they're unbelievably bad. I hate them. I used them for less than 300 miles and the last 299 miles was just because I was on tour in Europe, and couldn't swap them out until I got home.

Awful.
The Armadillos are even worse. I would rather walk.

Bob Ross
12-06-2011, 09:53 AM
The Armadillo Elites ride a bit better

^^^This.

I have Armadillo Elites on my winter/foul-weather/commuter bike. Do they ride harsh? Who the fcuk can tell, I'm on a 25lb CroMo frame with 36-spoke steel wheels!

fiamme red
12-06-2011, 09:59 AM
This is what I once wrote on this forum about the Rivendell Ruffy-TuffyI agree that the Ruffy-Tuffy rides harshly. But come to think of it, I never got a flat when I rode them. I did wear the tread down on the rear Ruffy-Tuffy in about 3,000 miles, whereas it took me about 5,000 to wear down a rear Armadillo. The only time I flatted on the Armadillo was when I got a nail through it.

christian
12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
I agree that the Ruffy-Tuffy rides harshly.Right, and the Armadillo is worse!

tannhauser
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Are the newer Gatorskins better riding than the older, 7+ year old ones? Those were horrible.

Looking for something more protecting than Michelin Krylions without sacrificing too much ride quality.

Ha!

gasman
12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Last years Gatorskins rode better than older models but I had a run of flats commuting on them. All small bits of glass or flints that worked their way through the tread.
Still on my winter training bike I run a gatorskin on the back and Krylion on the front. Worked well last winter.

bfd
12-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Are the newer Gatorskins better riding than the older, 7+ year old ones? Those were horrible.

Looking for something more protecting than Michelin Krylions without sacrificing too much ride quality.

Ha!

Another option is to get a 700x25 Michelin Lithion tire. I'm currently using this exact tire and they've held up well for my commute. When I first mounted the Lithion, I initially didn't think I would like them because they have a raised center section that seem to affect handling. However, once I got a few hundred miles on the tire, the raise section just wasn't noticeable. :banana:

What is really impressive with this tire is the wear factor. It wears well and seems to last a long time, especially as a rear tire riding over tons of glass and other junk on the road. Note, I "rotate" my tires - when rear tire wears out, I throw it out and move the front tire to the rear while putting on a new front tire!

I do have a pair of 700x25 Michelin ProRace 3 sitting in my stash and am planning to use them next to see how they compare. Good Luck!

schneiderrd
12-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Schwalbe Durano Plus. Very puncture resistant but still has a reasonable ride.

bigman
12-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Armadillos suck, period.

Not sure what width you need but some of the Continental Country Ride tires are really durable and ride surprisingly well despite their weight.

Bobbo
12-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Bontrager Hard Cases - ride nicer, roll much better, and shed the nasty bits better.

Dekonick
12-07-2011, 12:26 AM
My experience with Armodillo's is not positive. Rode like *****, and still got some flats. I changed back to Armodillos from Conti Iroman (essentially conti 3000's) because I was getting flats... now I just ride with wide schwalbe (38's) and have not had a single flat... Next ride I am sure I am fu'd....

the armodillos were flat resistant, but not compared to the shcwalbe's... I would prefer to ride a fat tire and risk fewer flats.

trfkas
12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
havent flatted since 2008...
i hate stopping so they work for me...