PDA

View Full Version : 3 fairly simple Yes/No questions about BB30/Hollowgram

rain dogs
12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
1. All of those old pro Cannondale frames.... way back to the CAAD3 (the early frames Cipo was using), were all early BB30. Yes/No?

2. I thought there was a hollowgram crankset that worked with a standard bottom bracket? Was there? Yes/No?

3. I have a standard BB CAAD8... I cannot use a hollowgram crankset with this frame? Yes/No?

Bonus: Although I tried the search feature, this has been asked a dozen times before, hasn't it? Yes/No?

pitcrew
12-05-2011, 09:16 PM
1. No
2. The old Magic Motorcycle/Coda cranks?

GregL
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
1. All of those old pro Cannondale frames.... way back to the CAAD3 (the early frames Cipo was using), were all early BB30. Yes/No?

2. I thought there was a hollowgram crankset that worked with a standard bottom bracket? Was there? Yes/No?

3. I have a standard BB CAAD8... I cannot use a hollowgram crankset with this frame? Yes/No?

Bonus: Although I tried the search feature, this has been asked a dozen times before, hasn't it? Yes/No?
1. BB30 was introduced on the CAAD6 frame. It was used on certain models using the Optimo, CAAD7, and CAAD9 aluminum frames. Not sure if the CAAD8 ever had a BB30 option.

2. Cannondale Hollowgram road cranksets will not work with standard, threaded bottom bracket shells.

3. Standard English BB shells cannot use BB30 cranks/bearings.

-Greg

rain dogs
12-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Ok,

thanks for the answers.

This clarifies things, and I also found additional info.

Apparently there were a few hundred (or thousand who knows) of the BB30 High-bright (raw) CAAD8's produced only as a frameset.

I was confused because none of the Cannondale catalogues list a BB30 CAAD8, but I swore I knew someone with a CAAD8 and hollowgram.

I have a raw CAAD8 which I thought had a special Hollowgram crank made to fit standard BB because of this.

..... I guess now I can spend far-too-many hours on eBay looking for a 56cm raw CAAD8 with BB30.

Edit: Apparently the new CAAD8's are bb30, but the geometry is changed....

rice rocket
12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Hollowgrams can be made to work on standard threaded BB, but it involves a custom machined extra long spindle. There's a prototype floating around somewhere, but not much more than that. Probably not worth the effort.

Bob Ross
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Along similar lines: Anyone know if the original (circa 2005 or 2006) Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2 with the "SI" bottom bracket can accept a current Hollowgram SI-SL crankset?