PDA

View Full Version : Dirt road recommendations

kohagen
12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
We've got a few paved roads in southern Vermont, mainly state highways, and a lot of dirt roads. Even some of the highways are dirt, including about 75% of route 121 between Londonderry and Grafton. I've been mostly riding my road bikes, with 23mm tires, but the couple of times I rode them on dirt it was a bit dodgy. My Trek Fuel seems like overkill for this environment, since the roads are good enough (except in mud season) for your normal 2WD car.

Could I get opinions on the various alternatives, such as wider tires for my road bike, a rando that can handle even wider tires, a CX bike that's built for the dirt, or some less aggressive tires for my MTB?

Thanks.

witcombusa
12-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Love the Grafton General Store! :D

A cross bike with something like a 35mm Pasela tire is a great starting point.
Then you also might want to widen the gearing range to get you down to a 1 to 1 low gear.

There are SO MANY great dirt roads in that area....with the right bike you can enjoy them all...

jpw
12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
I had Serotta build me a modified Serotta 'cross ti a couple of years ago. A lower bottom bracket and a geo in between road and cross. Right now I'm running Schwalbe Marathon Racer 28s. Before that a Pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus 35s. Both a good size choices, but very different. The 35s can be run at lower pressure and are uber comfortable and cushioning. The 28s are quicker, firmer, but very able on all but the worst dirt road surfaces but require a little more care and attention to avoid pinch flats.

Serotta is moving in the direction of Pave with room for wider tires. A Paris Roubaix frameset would be an excellent choice for good going and consistent dirt roads. My dirt roads are a little more mixed, hence the mod. 'cross choice. A Legend Pave or an Ottrott Pave with FMB/ Dugast 28s or a larger Dugast semi cross tire would be a sublime ride. I like the feel of larger tires at lower pressures where the bike can 'drift' around underneath me - it encourages better bike handling skills that are useful on skinnier tires at other times.

Gummee
12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I ride a Gunnar Crosshairs as my 'do all the dirt roads around here' kind of bike. Put some 28c Gatorskins on em and let er rip!

You don't really *need* a cross bike, but something that'll take bigger tires is better.

M
I rode my cross clinchers (Racing Ralphs) the other day on my dirt roads. Lemme tell ya, 35c clinchers are cheating compared to 23c racing tires. :nod

Ken Robb
12-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Almost anything from Rivendell will work well. Besides bigger tires I like bikes with a bit more trail so the front end isn't quite so eager to wander left and right in loose surfaces. I have a Rambouillet and a Romulus which are both fine with 700x37mm tires and an Allrounder which takes 700x52. I guess it's an early 29er. :)

On the more $$ end my Hampsten Strada Bianca is really good for this---and just aboput everything else.

I ride a Serotta Rapid Tour 5-6 years ago which would have been good too.

Lots of 29ers would be good too as would a rigid 26" mtn. bike like one of the Bridgestone MB-1, 2, 3, or 4. The MB 5 and 6 were lesser frames. An old Stumpjumper would be fun in gravel and dirt but the steering is a bit sluggish on pavement.

kohagen
12-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Lots of 29ers would be good too as would a rigid 26" mtn. bike like one of the Bridgestone MB-1, 2, 3, or 4. The MB 5 and 6 were lesser frames. An old Stumpjumper would be fun in gravel and dirt but the steering is a bit sluggish on pavement.
Interesting idea. I have an old Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo gathering dust (I just never seem to get rid of bikes). It's got way old components on it, but I could freshen those up and it just might work. But it would still be a heavy frame, and a cross bike might just be more fun. Something to think about.

Frankwurst
12-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Interesting idea. I have an old Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo gathering dust (I just never seem to get rid of bikes). It's got way old components on it, but I could freshen those up and it just might work. But it would still be a heavy frame, and a cross bike might just be more fun. Something to think about.

I would think you could turn this into a pretty cool cruiser but if you're set on 700c 34's are my minimum and bigger is better for me and if you're not going to ride the Fisher just send it to me. :beer:

dauwhe
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
650b x 42mm (Hetre) is money...

BumbleBeeDave
12-05-2011, 07:27 PM
. . . off eBay and go to town! Lots of them there--guys buy nice ones, do a couple of races, find out that "Hey, this SH*T this is HARD!" and sell them.

BBD

Ken Robb
12-06-2011, 01:11 AM
You could try the old Fisher as is but with fairly light not too knobby tires and see what you think about it. It might fill the bill but if not it will surely help you know what you really want for the kind of riding you anticipate in the future. The price is surely right.

Peter P.
12-06-2011, 03:30 AM
Since you liked the idea of an old, rigid MTB (other than the weight issue), then I'd recommend that route.

I ride a full rigid MTB, even off-road. I've ridden D2R2, with its 70% dirt roads, on such a bike with 1.25-1.5" tires with a mixed tread. I got too many flats with the 1.25s but I'm reckless on the downhills, so the 1.5ers it is. I use Bontrager somethingorothers because that's all the bike shop had when I needed a pair ASAP, otherwise I would have chosen Panaracer Paselas. Panaracer Pasela's come in a 26x1.5" version. I used the 1.25"ers and they had just enough tread to do the job right but roll smoothly on asphalt. There just wasn't quite enough volume to prevent pinch flats on dirt roads, even at 70psi.

Here's my old bike:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2668/3757629963_83b6b5fa7a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53479013@N00/3757629963/)
D2R2 Bike (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53479013@N00/3757629963/) by Peter Polack (http://www.flickr.com/people/53479013@N00/), on Flickr

Yes; the ATB is a tad slower overall vs. a 'cross bike perhaps due to the wheel weight, but they're untouchable if you want ultimate speed yet control on dirt descents. A 'cross bike will quickly fade in the background once the speed gets into the pucker zone.

So swapping tires on your Fuel would be the cheap way to see if you really want to ride dirt roads. If you find you don't like it then you're only out the cost of some tires and tubes.

If that's not your flavor and you're just formulating a taste for a dirt road bike, then I'd definitely suggest a 'cross bike because there are so many to choose from. My only complaint is the brake squeal issue with cantilever front brakes on 'cross bikes. If you're not going to be racing or otherwise in need of mud clearance on your brakes and squeal becomes an issue, then convert the front V-brake to solve the problem. Otherwise I think 'cross bikes are ideal for what you want to do, and they can be called up for fast road rides with only a swap to skinny tires.

Also, be sure if you select a 'cross bike for your dirt road riding, you get one with dual waterbottle mounts. Many 'cross bikes built for racing lack any waterbottle mounts at all.

Many 'cross bikes are extra versatile; besides being able to fit skinny road tires as well as fatter, dirt road suitable models, they often have fender and/or rack mounts which makes them decent commuter/short touring capable bikes as well.

Most road bikes won't fit anything wider than 25mm tires which will severely limit your speed and flat resistance on dirt roads. I'd count them out.

Rando bikes, as you call them, are just a smidgeon of a step up and not much different than a road bike. To me, they're just another road bike unless you've drunk the brevet/Grant Petersen/Jan Heine Kool-Aid. And you still might come up short in fitting sufficiently wide tires for dirt roads.

verticaldoug
12-06-2011, 08:04 AM
We've got a few paved roads in southern Vermont, mainly state highways, and a lot of dirt roads. Even some of the highways are dirt, including about 75% of route 121 between Londonderry and Grafton. I've been mostly riding my road bikes, with 23mm tires, but the couple of times I rode them on dirt it was a bit dodgy. .

I tend to spend a few weeks in the summer west of you in the Dorset/Manchester area. I suggest you ditch your 23s and ride 25s all the time. I ride 25s Conti 4000s on my Ottrot and really like the extra volume when the paved roads turn crummy. I also can get by on many dirt roads without issue.
(I tend to go west and ride past Rupert into Shushan, Battenkill etc.)

You already have the Fuel which is a nice MTB so if you really want another bike why not go smack in the middle with a nice Cross bike. You realize E-Richie is starting his end of season sale, so if one fits, riding around Vermont on a red sachs cross strikes me as pretty sweet.

fireball
12-06-2011, 09:13 AM
My wife and I live on a dirt road in the East Montpelier area. We still get on our road bikes occasionally but we spend most of our time on our cross bikes. There's hours and hours of great riding with good climbs, scenic vistas and little traffic. My wife rides a Gunnar Cross Hair and I've got a Serotta HSG Cross bike from a couple of years ago.

In all honesty, the dirt roads in Vermont are of equal or greater quality than most of the paved roads. Just remember to shut your mouth when farmers are spreading manure - that may not be mud that's hitting you in the face.

AngryScientist
12-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Just remember to shut your mouth when farmers are spreading manure

this statement may be more widely applicable than you think. :D

csm
12-06-2011, 06:14 PM
a bit of overkill but.... salsa fargo would be cool!

mike p
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I ride tons of seasonal dirt roads. I've used cross and mtb's but I think the best setup is an old steel road bike. Mine is an old giordana with blue and white backgammon paint. 90% of the time it's shod with pro race 2 25's. Many older steel RR bikes will hold 25's, 27's, and larger and RR geometry is better suited for roads.

Mike

RFC
12-07-2011, 01:22 AM

1989 Fisher ProCaliber, now singlespeed canal trail bomber. Lots of potential here. But, you get the idea.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0007r-3.jpg

Tom Matchak
12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
A couple of examples of all-road rando bikes built for riders who live in Vermont. It's funny how these folks ask for a light frame, then add on the "oh yeah, I'm also going to bomb hell down every goat path that I can find" design criteria. Thank goodness for wide, soft tires.

With 700C x 35 tires;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34156114@N05/5029782431/in/photostream

With 650B x 38 tires;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34156114@N05/5843529008/in/photostream

Ti Designs
12-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I just take the closest bike to the door with air in the tires...

572cv
12-07-2011, 01:46 PM
For general all around Vermont and NH dirt road versatility, I've ended up on a cross bike. I use the road bike from time to time, and I've used the MTB in the past, but the cross is faster than the MTB and more forgiving than the road bike. The proof of concept bike was a Crosshairs, which was terrific btw, but I fell into a Lynsky ti which is a little sweeter and a lot of fun to ride. Any cross bike of good build quality and good fit will put a smile on your face.

Vientomas
12-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Where I ride, the dirt roads are in generally good shape - hard packed without a lot of loose gravel or rocks. After using tires ranging in size from 35c's on a 'cross bike to 23c's on a road bike, I have finally settled on 28c's on a steel Bianchi Eros for the dirt road duty. The Eros has relatively long chain stays and plenty of room for 28c's in back and up front with standard reach caliper brakes. The 'cross bike sat up a bit too high and had a bottom bracket to tall for my liking.

My "dirt" rides are usually at least 50% pavement so I find the 28's to be a good compromise. I am currently using Schwalbe Durano's. They have held up well over the course of this season.

If I had complete control over my resource allocation, a Hampsten Strada Bianca would be in my stable.

Good luck and have fun!

konstantkarma
12-07-2011, 03:04 PM
I recently built up a used Gunnar Crosshairs. I like it for its versatility on pavement and dirt/gravel roads, and have had lots of fun on it. I set it up with 32 mm Ritchey Speedmax tires, which function well on the road, and really soaks up the bumps on the gravel. I used Mavic OP 32s and older 9 speed Ultegra hubs, and a Winwood CF cross fork. There is plenty of room for fenders, and I think I could run 35 mm tires, although I haven't tried yet. The bike is made in the Waterford factory, and is priced pretty well.

kohagen
12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
"I recently built up a used Gunnar Crosshairs."

"The proof of concept bike was a Crosshairs, which was terrific"

Do I sense a theme starting here?

kohagen
12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
A couple of examples of all-road rando bikes built for riders who live in Vermont.
Gothard has a Weigle rando he's selling, which would be a great bike, but I just can't get my head around a $4400 f/f/h/fenders/rack purchase where I'm going to bomb down dirt roads and get that exquisite frame and paint job all dinged up. Something less expensive would work, though.

Gummee
12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I think I could run 35 mm tires, although I haven't tried yet.
I have. Fit fine. You could even go a hair bigger.

M

konstantkarma
12-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I have. Fit fine. You could even go a hair bigger.

M
Good to know. Have you tried 35s with fenders?

Gummee
12-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Good to know. Have you tried 35s with fenders?I have some Race Blades. Don't work too well with the big tires.

...least not when I test-fit em.

M

sjauch2
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM
There a quite a few options now for fat tire road bikes. Pick one with geo that works, stick some 28 or 32's on it and have fun.

If you have more money to spend you could always go custom:
More photos: Capricorn Wilder (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ironsightimages/sets/72157627989727021/)
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6113/6341105600_f732c24c7a_b.jpg