PDA

View Full Version : Frozen waterbottles?

Dave Wages
12-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Even though I've lived in cold climates for many years, I usually don't ride much in the winter and consequently I lose all my fitness and have to start from scratch every spring. Well, this year I'm getting geared up for winter riding, boots, balaclava, warm clothes, etc... and I've already done a couple cold, dark rides. Surprisingly, I really like it, drivers seem to give me even more space at night, and with their headlights coming up from behind, you have even more warning when you're about to get overtaken, and if you dress properly, it's not too bad.

My question is this, what are folks doing for water in sub-freezing temps? I've been bringing one bottle and starting out with it filled with pretty warm water. This works for a while, usually I can get through that bottle just as the water is starting to get slushy, but if I want to go farther, a second bottle would be frozen by the time I'm ready to drink it. Are folks using Camelbaks under their jackets to keep the water warm enough? I know there are insulated bottles as well, but not sure how much more time they would keep the water warm?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

AngryScientist
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Dave - the insulated bottles do help, but the real pro tip is this: alcohol freezes at a much lower temp than water...

http://g2brandinganddesigncasestudies.com/resources/work_greygoose_main.jpg

but seriously - warm water in good insulated bottles.

Nooch
12-05-2011, 10:55 AM
As angry says, add a small bit of alcohol (or so i've heard) to raise the freezing temp of the water -- I haven't tried it.

I use the camelbak insulated bottles during the winter -- while they still have a chance of freezing, it does take a bit longer.

markie
12-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I found that if my water was frozen that it was probably time to head back indoors. I am ok with shorter rides in Winter as long as I can get outside and keep turning circles.

Otherwise I keep a bottle in my jersey pocket under a jacket, old roadie style.

rice rocket
12-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I've been under dressing slightly, which keeps my sweating down. I rarely consume a full water bottle anymore.

I also have an insulated bottle though. The same bottle that keeps your cold drinks cold in the summer will keep it from freezing as well.

Birddog
12-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Polar Bottles work down to the lower 20's.

PJN
12-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Rotate bottles. One in the cage and one under your jacket in the jersey pocket. Swap them when the one in the cage starts to get slushy. Your body heat will melt it back down by the time to rotate again.

echappist
12-05-2011, 11:03 AM
wear an insulated jacket (ones with a thermo fleece layer) and tuck the bottle in your back pocket. the bottle in there won't freeze while the bottle in the cage will

sg8357
12-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I add some orange juice to the water, to lower the freezing point.

Apres ride add the Russian anti-freeeze the Scientist likes.

Louis
12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
An idea for your next integrated Di2 frame: Wires running from the battery to the bottle cages for heating pads to keep the bottles warm. ;)

rice rocket
12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
An idea for your next integrated Di2 frame: Wires running from the battery to the bottle cages for heating pads to keep the bottles warm. ;)

Then you'd get stuck without being able to shift. Those Di2 batts would only last about 20 minutes if you drew enough current to heat 20 oz of water. More batteries!

Louis
12-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Then you'd get stuck without being able to shift. Those Di2 batts would only last about 20 minutes if you drew enough current to heat 20 oz of water. More batteries!

I know. It was a joke.

Generator hub...

FGC
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
A little bit of an electrolyte mix or plain salt will also work to lower the freezing temp of water.

Dave Wages
12-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas, I'd been considering the insulated bottle, and I like the idea of adding some juice or electrolyte stuff to the water to lower the freezing point as well. Gotta pick a couple of the bottles up next time I'm at Ben's.

Cheers,
Dave

IFRider
12-05-2011, 03:09 PM
The key is to blow the excess water out of the tube back into the bladder after taking a big drink. Use room temp water and if you are using a simple "bladder only" camelback consider wearing under a jacket. I used to ski all day with one of those things under my jacket.

Warren

jamesutiopia
12-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Bottles freeze from the "top" (air pocket side) down, so invert them in the cage (spout facing the ground)

Add a bit of salt and some carb mix to lower the freezing point

Insulated bottles take longer to freeze, but not a lot longer. can also use an "insulated" coffee bottle/thermos

Rotating bottles between cages helps too

As they start to freeze you can slam the bottles into the bars to help break up the ice

Your consumption will be lower, so ride with only one bottle filled so you can fill the second along the way (convenience store, etc.)