PDA

View Full Version : Slow speed crash yesterday

Dan Le foot
12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Seems that most crashes I have seen happen in the parking lot at the beginning of a ride. Usually at very slow speeds and due to inattention. I’ve seen many no damage but embarrassing crashes. But also broken clavicles, wrists, and even a hip.
So yesterday it was my turn. Crashed in the parking lot going about 2mph while trying to adjust a toe warmer. Very little damage to me but my new Chorus 11 speed brake levers got beat up pretty bad.
Broke my heart. They function fine just look like crap. Can campy brake levers be replaced? I haven’t seen a source for them yet. If not can they be repaired?
Thanks
Dan

avalonracing
12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah, slow speed crashes can hurt and also really mess you and your bike up.

The only thing that is worse is high-speed crashes. Given the choice, count your blessings.

buldogge
12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey Dan...bummer. The blades are available, any shop could get them, and they're all over Ebay...but...a pair seems to cost as much as just grabbing a new pair of ergos!

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
12-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Seems that most crashes I have seen happen in the parking lot at the beginning of a ride. Usually at very slow speeds and due to inattention. I’ve seen many no damage but embarrassing crashes. But also broken clavicles, wrists, and even a hip.
So yesterday it was my turn. Crashed in the parking lot going about 2mph while trying to adjust a toe warmer. Very little damage to me but my new Chorus 11 speed brake levers got beat up pretty bad.
Broke my heart. They function fine just look like crap. Can campy brake levers be replaced? I haven’t seen a source for them yet. If not can they be repaired?
Thanks
Dan

Any bike shop that has a Quality Bike Part account(meaning any US bike shop) can get or has these. Campagnolo part number EC-CH-647, QBP number LD9987...bring yer check book, about $140 per lever(that's JUST the brake lever blade).

eddief
12-05-2011, 09:47 AM
some of the other choices you mentioned. i get your pain. if you could get over it, now that side of the bike will be the "leaner" side. that being the one you can now lean against any brick wall and not worry about scratching your shifters. maybe some buffing and clear nail polish to lessen the pain.

Gothard
12-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Clear auto varnish. Then you can say it is from banging bars with Cavendish as you passed him on that sprint last week.

92degrees
12-05-2011, 10:07 AM
As mentioned. Sand them smooth and spray varnish them. The decal will not be repaired, but they will be shiny and smooth. If you don't like it you are only out $10 and can then go shop levers.

Dan Le foot
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys.
I now see they are called brake blades. But the price!!!! $140 for a piece of plastic. Not fair.
Dan

Ken Robb
12-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't care about those levers just tell me you didn't dent your leg. :)

cmg
12-05-2011, 10:13 AM
5-6 coats of clear nail polish will even the surface of the shifter blades. Also it will keep the exterior coating from peeling any further. or you replace altogether.

Dan Le foot
12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't care about those levers just tell me you didn't dent your leg. :)
No dents on the CF leg, Ken.
But you did give me a thought. I have an appointment tomorrow with the Prosthesis to tweak the new leg. I bet he can refinish the levers since he does such nice finish job on my legs. :beer:
Dan

staggerwing
12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Forget $140 for a new lever. You can refinish these, and make them almost like new, although without the Campy labeling. I have done the following process and can post photos, if helpful.

Go to your local hardware emporium and and by the smallest set of PC-7 Epoxy Paste (http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Coating-167779-Epoxy-Paste/dp/B000BOHJJ0). It is dark gray in color, and will fill the deepest scratches nicely.

You are also going to buy the smallest can of high gloss, urethane varnish, the hardware store has, and a couple 1"foam brushes. Something like Minwax is fine here. Note: the classic oil-base stuff, not the newer water based. Yes, it is ever so slightly yellow in tint, but for this particular application, it will not matter one bit.

Next stop by your local auto parts emporium and buy the small pack of assorted, silicon carbide, wet-or-dry sandpaper. The blackish gray ones. You want 220, 320, 400, and 600 grits.

Go back home and push the pin out, freeing the lever. Mix up some soapy water, and start wet sanding with the 220 paper. You are going to remove all of the original labeling, and varnish, going all the way down to carbon fiber. Stop every couple of minutes and wipe off with a paper towel. It will be easy to tell when all of the original varnish is gone. Do not worry about sanding the gouges out, you are going to fill them with the epoxy putty.

Dry thoroughly, and perform a final clean with a little denatured alcohol. Mix up a small quantity of the PC-7, adhering to the 1:1 ratio. An old kitchen knife works fine as a mixer and applicator. Fill the gouges carefully, trying not to get too much extra on the lever. Easier to have to do two fills, rather than sand off too much excess. Let dry overnight.

Wet sand again with the 220. If you get a nice even, frosty finish all over, then proceed on to 320, and then 400. You might have to perform a second fill too. Dry as before.

Stir but do NOT shake the can of urethane. Now, apply a coat of the urethane with the foam brush. Hang from a paper clip, and let dry overnight. The next day, carefully wet sand with the 600, dry, wipe with an alcohol wetted paper towel and apply another coat of varnish. I would aim for 5-6 coats total, with wet sanding between each coat. Pretty much has to dry 24 hours between coats. Process can be accelerated with a hot box (~40-50 eg C).

Sounds more difficult than it is. With the fine grade sandpaper, and hand work, you aren't going to make a mess of it. Do not succumb to the inclination to pull out power tools.

tiretrax
12-05-2011, 11:13 AM
There's nothing worse - slow speed crashes always seem to hurt more - (to flesh and pride). Get rid of the toe warmers and get winter cycling shoes. Have your prosthetist refinish them and get some new hudz.

93legendti
12-05-2011, 11:25 AM
My worst crash ever was a slow speed crash- so, I am glad you weren't hurt.
When I fell it was like someone pulled away a very high bar stool just as I went to sit down on it. :crap:

jimcav
12-05-2011, 11:40 AM
the above description of removing all the clear coat and redoing it will look best. and fyi i have had good luck with clear water based varnish.
It is time consuming, so while not as perfect if you do many thin coats and take your time, and use very fine grit (i use 400, 600, and 1000 wet sand (emory) paper) you can do a good job blending the new into the old, which preserves the decal etc

bes tthing is to have a riding buddy who works at an auto body shop and have them shoot them with clear the next time they do work. I had an entire bike clear coated that way for $48, just paid the painter for his time--the clear was free since once they open it to paint a car, it is use it or lose it.
in this case i did not strip it, just roughed up the existing surface with 400 grit, looked awesome once done

also, glad you were okay, slow can hurt more than fast sometimes

Ken Robb
12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I think I would try to sell these shifters to a racer who cares little about looks and buy new or like-new replacements before I would do all the work to refinish the scraped ones. I am lazy and not very good at detailed work.

mnoble485
12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Dan,

Is that the new Seven I heard about? Pics and ride report? Mea Culpa if I missed them.

Mike

thwart
12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I think I would try to sell these shifters to a racer who cares little about looks and buy new or like-new replacements before I would do all the work to refinish the scraped ones. I am lazy and not very good at detailed work.
Best answer, probably. Always amazing to me what folks will pay on eBay for something like this (a set of higher end Campy ergos) that has obvious cosmetic issues, but function fine.

On the other hand, if you enjoy detail/craft work, you now have a great winter project.

cfox
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Leave it. In 2 weeks you won't care. A cosmetic blemish, once you get over the initial annoyance, is liberating; you'll feel less of a slave to your bike and won't flinch anytime someone walks near it. It took me a while to come around on this, but I feel bikes look cooler with a few blemishes.

staggerwing
12-05-2011, 05:53 PM

It really isn't that difficult. Perhaps an hour all told, 15 minutes the first day, and 10 minutes a day for 4 more.

Send 'em to me, if you go buy new ones. I'll refinish, and pass them on to someone else that could use them. Gonna have to put at WTB out for scraped, but otherwise lightly used, Campy levers.

old_fat_and_slow
12-05-2011, 07:14 PM
How about $88, is that a little more palatable? Still painful.

http://aebike.com/product/campagnolo-11s-chorus-left-brake-blade-sku-ld9988-qc30.htm

http://aebike.com/images/library/catalogs/soc/prodl/LD9988.jpg

mapleleafs-13
12-07-2011, 04:13 PM
that's actually not such a bad price, it'll save you time with having to take the brifters off completely and re-adjusting and fitting cables and whatnot

Dan Le foot
12-07-2011, 09:02 PM
5-6 coats of clear nail polish will even the surface of the shifter blades. Also it will keep the exterior coating from peeling any further. or you replace altogether.
Thanks everyone.
I did the easiest solution as suggested by cmg. Only took 3 coats. I sanded between coats with 600 wet/dry
They don't look half bad.
BTW
I see that Ribble has (Few days ago anyway)the Chorus 11 shifters on sale for $230.
Hard to justify up to $250+ for just a pair of plastic brake blades.
Dan

Jason E
12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I like how you made sure you got the Fork and Down-tube logo placed into the original picture. True cyclist.. :)

JK

AngryScientist
12-08-2011, 06:07 AM
any auto parts store will have little containers like this. they have a brush applicator, just smooth out those rubs with sandpaper and apply two coats of this stuff. dont use nail polish, this is worlds more durable.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3276/full/7141108_dpl_ngsf125_pri_detl.jpg

Dan Le foot
12-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Dan,

Is that the new Seven I heard about? Pics and ride report? Mea Culpa if I missed them.

Mike
Hi Mike.
I haven't posted a pic yet. Simple elegance. Fit is spot on. Combined with Hed Ardennes, ride is supurb.
At $2700 for custom frame, it was quite a value imo. And i don't have worry about cracking a plastic bike. :bike:
Dan