PDA

View Full Version : Haleakala

gasman
12-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm going to a conference on Maui in February with my wife. One morning /afternoon I want to ride up Haleakala. Looking on-line there seem to be several shops that rent decent bikes equipped with 105 and I would be fine with that.
Any recommendations from those in the know ? I don't want to hassle taking my own bike for one ride.Just going to bring pedals, shoes and clothes.

AngryScientist
12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Talk to spiderman- he was just there recently, he may be able to offer some advise

gasman
12-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Talk to spiderman- he was just there recently, he may be able to offer some advise

I thought of that but he brought his own bike I believe.

Steve in SLO
12-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Pack a jacket and kneewarmers...it can get cold up top.

kramnnim
12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I went a month ago. Rented a Litespeed from Maui Cycling in Paia...Donnie, the owner, was very accommodating, came to the shop after hours on a Sunday afternoon so I could return the bike. It had...full 6600, I think, and...Fulcrum 7s? Maybe 5's.

They do guided tours, too, if you want company.

The...Boss Frogs (?) in Lahaina had a Fuji SST 3.0 available to rent, but I didn't want to deal with a bike rack for the rental car. Maui Cycling is just a block or two from the ocean where you'll want to start the ride.

And yeah...it's cold up there. The first part of the descent was really cold. Great ride, though...I wish I could go again.

spiderman
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm going to a conference on Maui in February with my wife. One morning /afternoon I want to ride up Haleakala. Looking on-line there seem to be several shops that rent decent bikes equipped with 105 and I would be fine with that.
Any recommendations from those in the know ? I don't want to hassle taking my own bike for one ride.Just going to bring pedals, shoes and clothes.

I commuted to my conference daily from napili bay...loved it!
While I was there a lbs delivered three specialized road bikes to the hotel
For a group that was staying at the hotel that was hosting my meeting...
...They made it look easy...

gasman
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Great-

Thanks for all the info.

Spidey- I'm staying where the conference is being held. It sounds like a great idea,I've done at other conferences on the Oregon coast.

Ozz
12-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Dave,
Wil used these guys when he rented a bike on Maui a couple years ago.

http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/

He did the guided ride....and think a couple solo days as well.

Rubeboy
12-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm going to be there in mid February also and I plan on climbing it one morning. I did the ride few years ago and I rented from West Maui Cycles. I had a Cannondale with Ultegra and it worked well enough.
Unless I read otherwise in this thread, I'd probably go back with them.
I started at sunrise and I'm glad I did. On that day the weather turned for the worse soon after I summited.

Also: Riding out of Paia at sunrise was amazing enough to make it a great day! But, the ride/climb just keeps getting better.

Lovetoclimb
12-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Velominati blog has a series of articles with good details on Frank's (blog owner) ride up. Seems like a one of a kind experience. Enjoy! Be sure to post some pictures for us landlocked folk to admire while we ride our trainers :crap:

rockdude
12-05-2011, 08:43 AM
I used West Maui Cycles last Feb and had the worst experience at a retail shop EVER.... Each time I went into their shop, the service got worse. I can believe they stay in business. I would go somewhere else, if I were you....

I'm going to be there in mid February also and I plan on climbing it one morning. I did the ride few years ago and I rented from West Maui Cycles. I had a Cannondale with Ultegra and it worked well enough.
Unless I read otherwise in this thread, I'd probably go back with them.
I started at sunrise and I'm glad I did. On that day the weather turned for the worse soon after I summited.

Also: Riding out of Paia at sunrise was amazing enough to make it a great day! But, the ride/climb just keeps getting better.

akmonkey
12-05-2011, 12:02 PM
A buddy and I rented from Maui Bike Shop in Paia last week. I recommend them. In the past, I've rented from West Maui Bike Shop, but much prefer Maui Bike Shop ....

The Haleakala ride is great, but be prepared. We attempted it last year but it got really wet and cold, so we aborted. And we're both Alaskan! This year we didn't put on jackets until the ride down.

Make sure you also do the West Maui Loop. We always end the ride at Maui Brewing Co. in Napili.

maunahaole
12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I have never done the ride, but I have driven up several times. The weather is very changeable as you climb. It can be clear and warm in Paia and rainy at the summit. Figure about 30 degrees cooler at the top of the hill. If you dont take the guided tour (which more importantly will carry change of clothes, water, food, etc.) be mindful that as you climb the opportunities for food and water diminish. Once you pass the gate to the park (it is a National Park at the summit area) there is NO place to fill bottles until you summit. Watch out for cows on the road - it is open range up there.

Weather locally has been trending to winter, meaning for sea level folks like me, more wind, overcast and rain. This will amplify as you get higher, so keep an eye on the forecast - as I mentioned before, the Wailuku/Kahului weather will be different than the summit.

maxn
12-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Velominati blog has a series of articles with good details on Frank's (blog owner) ride up. Seems like a one of a kind experience. Enjoy! Be sure to post some pictures for us landlocked folk to admire while we ride our trainers :crap:

the videos of his two rides up Haleakala are hilarious.

Lovetoclimb
12-05-2011, 01:20 PM
the videos of his two rides up Haleakala are hilarious.

SNAP I did not even notice the videos.

maunahaole
12-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Here's are links to the Haleakala weather info.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=HIZ022

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/haleakalanew/weather.shtml

Waldo
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I did this ride 10 years ago on a bike I rented from West Maui Cycles. The bike was fine. Bring your own saddle. Start early before humidity hits. It takes most 3.5 to 4.5 hours to climb Haleakala, so remember to bring enough food and drink. In 2001, there was only one place to get water on the way up. On the way back, remember to stop and disrobe half way down the mountain or you'll feel overcooked and look silly in Paia at noon, dressed in a windbreaker and knee warmers.

Rubeboy
12-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I used West Maui Cycles last Feb and had the worst experience at a retail shop EVER.... Each time I went into their shop, the service got worse. I can believe they stay in business. I would go somewhere else, if I were you....

Good to know, thanks.
It has been four or five years. I'll look elsewhere.

gasman
12-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Good to know, thanks.
It has been four or five years. I'll look elsewhere.

Ditto thanks

Kirk007
12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Come on Dave you need a coupled bike for this! :)

gasman
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Come on Dave you need a coupled bike for this! :)

If i bring up a coupled bike I won't be coupled with my wife !!