PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking Brooks Saddle....

SoCalSteve
08-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

I have a Brooks B17 Champion Special with Ti rails. I cannot get it to stop squeaking, even after trying 3 different seatposts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have 2 other Brooks saddles (same model, same Ti rails) not a peep from either one of them.

Help!

As always, thank you so much in advance,

Steve

spiderman
08-02-2005, 04:30 PM
my swallow squawked a bit
until the 500 mile mark
and seems to just purr now...

SoCalSteve
08-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Please tell me, do you know where the squeak actually came from? Did you do anything to try to quiet it?

Thanks,

Steve

dave thompson
08-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Steve:

The leather itself may be squeaking, like shoes do often, when something is rubbing against it. If you have some Proofide, or rough equivalent, apply some to wherever the leather is in contact with the frame; i.e. around the rear frame and the nosepiece. Not too much Proofide, but get it right against the frame/leather junction and set the saddle out in the sun, upside down. Also relax the tension bolt maybe a quarter turn.

Smiley
08-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Big Dave has it right , relax the tension bolt , save the proofhide for a later date .

spiderman
08-02-2005, 06:17 PM
i think mine was coming from the leather...
...i'm afraid to touch my tension bolt...
so, i just applied the proofide
after every few rides until
the saddle and sounds
disappeared underneath me...

SoCalSteve
08-02-2005, 06:56 PM
I think between the tension bolt and Proofhide, I try and see if I can get the "squeak" out...

Thanks to everyone!

Steve

dave thompson
08-02-2005, 07:04 PM
I think between the tension bolt and Proofhide, I try and see if I can get the "squeak" out...

Thanks to everyone!

Steve
1/4 turn loose only!

stackie
08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
My Swallow squeaked like a banshee when I first rode it. I rode around praying that I would not encounter another cyclist on the road for fear of being mocked as a Fred. Anyway, I put a little Phil Wood grease on the rails and reinstalled. The squeak has never been heard from again.

Worth a try, maybe?

Jon

SoCalSteve
08-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I turned the bolt a 1/4 turn, I put ProofHide all around the bottom of the saddle, especially where the frame meets the leather and I used Phil Wood oil on the seat rails.

I road my bike to work today and....no squeak!

Not sure which one cured the problem (or maybe a combo of all three) but, no more squeak!!!

As always, thank you all for your knowledge, experience and generosity. I would have never thought about 2 of the 3 things mentioned. Now I know what to do in the future.

Steve

Smiley
08-03-2005, 10:49 AM
It was the BOLT !

SoCalSteve
08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
The squeaking that was coming from the Hors Cat turned out to be the wheelset, not the elastomers. I tightened up the spokes and the squeak went away. I also put Tri-Flow where the spokes crossed. It was a combination of those two things that cured the squeaking.

I am absolutly loving the ride of it . I dont mind that its a bit heavy ( I am too) and the handling and ride comfort is second to none. Having a 32 spoke wheelset and 700 x 25 Michelin Pro2 tires doesnt hurt either.

I am thrilled with the purchase and cant wait for my coaching season to be over so I can strip it and send it to JB for a new paint job. 1/2 Red 1/2 natural Ti with white decals.

I usually ride my Seven Axiom to coach and do Centuries, but since I have the Hors Cat, I have been riding it exclusively.

I cant wait to build up my Ottrott ST and see how it compares.

Thanks for all your help, Captain.

Steve

Smiley
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
SoCal , I'll bet you'll like them both BUT for the comfort of the ride on the road less travelled , it will be the Hors hands down :banana: