PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Problem, Help Please

Sandy
12-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Unfortunately I have not cycled for about 4 years and have decided that it is now or never as I will be 71 this month, and who ever knows how long one has left on this earth. My approach is as follows- ride my bike inside on the trainer during the cold months, gaining conditioning- cardiovascular/muscular/ improving my pathetic pedal stroke, and ride outdoors starting in the warmer months, with a goal of a SLOW metric century later in the year.

I have ridden my trainer 5 times thus far and have a problem. I have a 50/34 12/27 chainring/cassette 10 speed Dura-Ace Serotta. I tend to start pedaling at a very moderate cadence (usually in the big chain ring when outdoors) and then increase the cadence. My Cycle Ops trainer has 4 levels of difficulty. To get started in the winter, after such a long absence from cycling, I am using the easiest difficulty level, the 34 chainring and the lowest 4 gears, using the 27, 24, 21, and 19 cogs. The problem is that as I pedal at a low cadence in these gears there is a very substantial vibration (and accompanying noise) that I can feel throughout my bike- easily felt in the top tube and handlebars.

As my cadence increases the vibration tends to slowly decrease. The vibration is worse in the lower gears. I sometimes also tend to hear a little click as I pedal, But I think that is probably unrelated and minor.

I use Conti GP 4000 700x25 tires that seem to have reasonable tread left, and I inflate them to around 120 each- significantly higher than the 95 f and 105 r I use outdoors.

Any ideas what the vibration could be? I appreciate any input that you could give me.

Thank you!!

Super Snail Slow Sandy

PS- I sincerely apologize to so many of you I have not maintained contact with over the last few years.

Peter P.
12-04-2011, 04:49 AM
If you think it's the tire, then swap front and rear tires. Swap the tubes as well.

Is your rear wheel true? Are the bearings adjusted for no play?

My guess is, either the bearings in the trainer are bad (you might be able to feel excessive slop in the mechanism if you move it by hand) or the flywheel and/or resistance device is wobbling at low speeds. It just so happens that the resonant speed of the vibration coincides with the low road speeds you are using at the time.

It sounds like your Cyclops trainer is magnetic, due to the levels of resistance you mention. The parts inside are moving slightly while spinning, until there's sufficient centrifugal force to hold them fast.

You would have better luck with a fluid trainer which has fewer moving parts, particularly a Kurt Kinetic. I have spoken to their tech support in the past and their fluid device and their flywheel are held to very tight tolerances to ensure this kind of problem doesn't occur.

soulspinner
12-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Way to go Sandy, back on the bike! :beer:

Smiley
12-04-2011, 06:33 AM
That's your bones clicking Sandy from lack of use :)
Seriously WELCOME back good buddy, want me and Zapper to swing by and check it out, just lock King up outside while we are inspecting the trainer :banana:

AngryScientist
12-04-2011, 07:58 AM
where do you have the trainer? (what is the floor surface is the real question, how stable is it?)

my friends who live in apartments and have the trainers on wood floors, etc, swear by these mats, keeps the rubber dust off the floor and quiets the trainer significantly for them. this might insulate your vibration problems, i would think

http://www.rpcshop.com/files/photo/31/l/kurt-kinetic-road-machine-b000bt7hxi.jpg

Fixed
12-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Way to go Sandy, back on the bike! :beer:
+1 way to go
cheers

zap
12-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Sandy,welcome back.

As :) posted, happy to stop by.

King can stay inside and supervise.

rugbysecondrow
12-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Fine job Sandy.

For mag trainers, at slower speeds, is seem to remember them vibrating some. I thought it was just the grabbiness of the magnets at slow speed/rotations.

Best of luck.

Paul

Ken Robb
12-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Fine job Sandy.

For mag trainers, at slower speeds, is seem to remember them vibrating some. I thought it was just the grabbiness of the magnets at slow speed/rotations.

Best of luck.

Paul
I can imagine this could be the reason as my SON generator hub vibrates when I turn it slowly by hand as the internal rotor passes the gaps between poles.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :beer: :banana: :hello: :)

biker72
12-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Sandy, my CycleOps Mag trainer vibrates a little at a lower cadence. I've had it 4 years now and it's always been that way. A fluid trainer would be smoother for sure.....and more expensive.
Welcome back to cycling.... :)

Dave B
12-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Hey Sandy how is the trainer work going? Have been thinking loads about you and wanted to get an update on how your workouts were progressing and if Gloria was about to kick you outside yet? :beer:

Hope all is well and your spirits are getting brighter!

William
12-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Hey Sandy how is the trainer work going? Have been thinking loads about you and wanted to get an update on how your workouts were progressing and if Gloria was about to kick you outside yet? :beer:

Hope all is well and your spirits are getting brighter!

Thinking the same thing here as well Sandy! I hope you are doing well and having fun on the bike again.

William

PS: Meet our new family member Sandy!! Emmitt is giving you a wink and a kiss!! :D

Sandy
12-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the excellent comments on the possible causes. I am going to take my bike and trainer to Smiley's soon (he does not know about the trainer) and see if the noise is replicated there and on his trainer as he helps me set up my saddle etc. properly.

Thanks also for the well wishes. I do sincerely appreciate them.

William- neat looking boxer. A rescue? Really reminds me of Bruno, not just because of the breed. Many happy years with him.

Sandy