PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs appreciated cycles, which ones?

fuzzalow
12-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Recenty finished the Steve Jobs biography written by Walter Isaacson. I agree with the blurb Janet Maslin of the NYTimes wrote of it, saying that the biography did not offer any depth or intimacy.

But there is a passage that speaks of Jobs handing down his bicycles to his son Reed. Isaacson wrote that Reed didn't like the Italian bike as it was "too g^y", I'd guess with respect to the paint job. (PC police, take it up with Walter, I didn't write it) Gotta guess the paint was either a Colnago Italo Lysergic or Bianchi Celeste.

Not much known Re: Jobs' cycles other than what was said by his sister during her eulogy: http://bicyclespokesman.com/steve-jobs-bicycle/

Jobs had the right attenna for design, elegance, function and form. It isn't surprising that he would like italian racing bikes. But the other unmentioned bike, which could that be?

johnnymossville
12-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I read somewhere a few years ago where Steve mentioned how much he loved riding his Mountain Bike. He wouldn't say what make or model it was.

It would be pretty cool to know what kind of bikes he liked.

csm
12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I've been reading that book. It's actually made me an Apple fan.

MadRocketSci
12-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Most expensive bike at PA bikes was probably a Se7en....don't recall them carrying a 'Nago.

Book however mentioned that he spent a lot of time riding around Tuscany after getting pushed out of Apple the first time, so maybe he picked a gawdy italian bike up there...

rice rocket
12-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Recenty finished the Steve Jobs biography written by Walter Isaacson. I agree with the blurb Janet Maslin of the NYTimes wrote of it, saying that the biography did not offer any depth or intimacy.

Most readers wouldn't want anything more. It's better to remember him positively.

MRB
12-03-2011, 11:09 PM
I know from experience that Steve Jobs enjoyed cycling. At least as a spectator, and most likely as a cyclist himself.

My brother was in road race in Santa Cruz (Aptos? maybe) and happened to be wearing an"Apple Cycling Club" jersey, as he worked at Apple at the time. Steve said to my brother, "Hey, Apple, what do you do?"
My brother replied, "Hey Steve!....I work in corporate finance"
Steve added, "no...what do you DO?"
My brother elaboarted on his role at Apple, and that was the end of the conversation. Steve was still hanging around at the end of the race.

A few years ago, my bro caught up to then passed by Steve Woz. Woz was on a Segway.

Both stories are cool "brush with (Apple) greatness" stories, if you ask me.

Steve in SLO
12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Saw a pic of him in front of a Cinelli MTB once...maybe his?

Germany_chris
12-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Most readers wouldn't want anything more. It's better to remember him positively.

I disagree, I was hoping to find out more about his unpleasant personality, and it's effect on the people around him

There are people who have influenced computers (Stallman, Torvalds) more, but none that have influenced computing. The legions of iPeople come from the second part they cannot look past Steve..

tannhauser
12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Wait. I thought we couldn't talk about Jobs.

What's the grace period - 10 yrs. or so?

If you want to remember him pleasantly keep re-reading his obits on an iPad.