PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Frame Works Frame Painting

sokyroadie
12-03-2011, 07:55 AM
I posted the thread below about having the the Peg. I bought from thinpin painted.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=100110&highlight=southwest

Several people asked about Southwest frame works (David Cheakas) painting: quality/price/leadtime, these are my thoughts.

The quality is fantastic, great depth to the color, crisp break lines between panels and main color, and very nice job with the paint stencils for the lettering (no decals).

Price was:

single color - $275.00
panels/ paint masks - $75.00
framesaver - $15.00
shipping/packing - $40.00

Total price - $405.00

Leadtime was: : :crap: not so great
Quoted - 5-6 weeks
Actual - 4 months, it arrived at his place on 7/19 and I received it back on 11/23

I know he had a lot of issues during that time, but communication was very spotty, I was not in a hurry so it was not a horrible experience.

The weird thing is that he required no deposit and shipped the frame back without receiving any payment - I just got the invoice yesterday.

All in all I would use them again as the value/quality is definitely there, just don't expect quick turnaround.

Jeff

nm87710
12-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Good Luck

gianni
12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I recently had a frame resprayed by Allan Wanta in Carlesbad and could not be happier!

He was very responsive in communication, affordable and the quality is top-notch!

cheers,

lovebird
12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
+1 on Allan Wanta. He recently repainted a frame for me and did a very nice job for a very reasonable price (single color). Even filled a few dents/dings and masked existing chrome for no extra charge. Turnaround was around 2 months, which was only a couple of weeks longer than he initially estimated. All in all, a very good experience.

sw3759
12-04-2011, 02:45 AM
i am local to these guys and fwiw they would be my last choice.have heard way too many horror stories from people in the area to risk it.
i'll ship mine somewhere else,thank you.

cmg
12-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Check on craigslist. there was a guy offering powder coating in san antonio last week. should be a body shop in your area willing to do it.

krhea
12-04-2011, 01:22 PM
+1 on Allan Wanta. He recently repainted a frame for me and did a very nice job for a very reasonable price (single color). Even filled a few dents/dings and masked existing chrome for no extra charge. Turnaround was around 2 months, which was only a couple of weeks longer than he initially estimated. All in all, a very good experience.

Wanta has done numerous frame repaints for me and each time the frame comes back a "gem" at a great price and the wait time has been no problem. He currently has two of my projects on his rack, a complete custom build with paint as well as a repaint. Both should drop on my door in the next week or two.
Also, his restoration work on vintage frames is amazing. He makes all his own decals and they're spot on.

KRhea