PDA

View Full Version : any gardeners here ?

Fixed
12-02-2011, 09:03 PM
i am going japanese in my garden area .( mrs fixed says i need a project )
i will take pictures beginning to end
anyone have gardening experiences to share ?
cheers :beer:

thwart
12-02-2011, 09:42 PM
We have a prairie in our yard, it's great fun to burn it in the spring. And getting your hands in the dirt is therapeutic.

Japanese gardens are supposed to be great for meditation; very orderly, spare yet elegant. Sounds like a great idea.

onsight512
12-02-2011, 09:45 PM
anyone have gardening experiences to share ?
cheers :beer:

i grew up in eastern pennsylvania. my parents planted a garden every year. i still remember filling white 5 gallon buckets with rocks after the neighbor brought his tractor and turned the soil over every spring. bucket after bucket after bucket. good times. :rolleyes:

Louis
12-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Lately I've been growing a lot of weeds. Does that make me a gardener?

Given the choice between digging in the dirt and riding, riding wins 99.999999999% of the time.

thinpin
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
We have just completed a renovation including a new garden. One of the things we discussed with the landscaper was a japanese section. His thoughts were:-
You really need to plan it to the last detail before lifting a spade.
Choose plants carefully, think of the balance and the climate.
Be prepaired for a reasonable amount of work to maintain it.
Look at plenty to get the feel for them, there is an aesthetic that not everyone sees. just like bikes!
We decided not to go there just now.
Good luck

tiretrax
12-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Go to the best garden center and call the county extension agent and see what they recommend. Not only do you need to find the right plants in regard to soils and climate, some pests have found their way from the orient and the plants are now subject to predation that didn't affect them before, so your investment could be lost. There may be native plants that can be trimmed to give you the effect you're seeking.

slowgoing
12-03-2011, 12:27 AM
I have many types of roses (purple smell the best), an orange tree (oranges ripening as we speak), a lemon tree, a palm tree and a lawn prone to dandelions. But I'm not the gardner. He comes every other Friday.

tele
12-03-2011, 06:00 AM
call the county extension agent and see what they recommend. Not only do you need to find the right plants in regard to soils and climate,
usually the local community college or university can test your soil, for a low fee, and tell you how to amend the soil so that you can grow what you need. I dont know anything about Japanese gardens, but I have a garden from early spring till, when now here in New England. I still have carrots "growing" in the soil. Picking the right variety for your climate makes all the difference.
Should be a great project!

R2D2
12-03-2011, 08:15 AM
My wife and I put a garden in a few years ago.
Maybe 100 ft x 30 ft. Luckily I had an old well on the property when the house was on well/septic. It is now on city water/sewer. I had the well refurbished and trenched the backyard and put in an automatic drip system. Although I use no pesticides I do use high qualitly fertilizer and a fertilizer injection system. So watering and feeding is as automated as possible. We have blackberries,strawberries,blueberries,asparagus that are permanently planted. Then each year we plant garlic,onions,peppers,tomatoes,potatoes,beans etc....
Luckilythe area is ringed by a 5 ft fence. That combined with the German Sheppard and Jack Russel keep the critters out.
Being of Dutch heritage working in the dirt feels very good. And it a great place to get away from my hectic high tech job and soak up some sun and enjoy peace and quiet.
We also built a greenhouse to start seeds and winter plants. Although it was initially a lot of work I really enjoy the benefits now. The taste of fresh fruit and vegetables are wonderful and we can control when to pick to get maximum ripeness.
The one thing I really learned is you can't do it all in one day. But if you do a little each day and keep at it you'll suprise yourself with the progress one day.

mack
12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I love the idea of a Japanese themed garden, I pay close attention and thoroughly enjoy the garden aesthetics of gardens other than my own....however, I do not seem able to pull it off in my own garden, something far to utilitarian about me I guess.
Four freezers and a true root cellar filled with garden produce and protein we raise and obtain is our core source of food, dialing it back (a little) and making things more efficient have made it possible to maintain a large producing garden and a normal working and playful lifestyle.
Good on you for wanting to create an alternative space that I'm sure will become of great value and appreciation. My only rule is...don't allow it to consume me (and my time)!
Cheers!