PDA

View Full Version : The issue with hoarding

tuxbailey
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I responded to an AD in my local CL for a new truing stand because it is such a good deal.

The thing is, I know squat about truing wheels and I wasn't planning to start learning :o

AngryScientist
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
ha, i'm with you, its tough to pass up a good deal, tougher when the "good deal" gets you to buy a bunch of other stuff you didnt need.

sounds like you're in the market for a set of campy hubs, spokes and rims huh?

Nooch
12-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I'll take it if you don't need it!!

akelman
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I, too, have a really nice truing stand. Why? I have no earthly idea.

William
12-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Ha! They aren't bad to have around. I was always able to true my wheels while on the bike, but I got a good deal from a forum friend on a truing stand years ago that was too good to pass up. I use it from time to time, but no where near enough to justify having a really nice one. I say go for it!! :D

William

staggerwing
12-02-2011, 01:32 PM
What you talking about hoarding....I'm merely protecting a valuable and dwindling supply of cycling resources for future guardians. You have to take a hard look at yourself in the mirror and ask "if I won't, who will?"

PS I may be weird, but find building and truing wheels to be quite relaxing. Grab a fine beverage, a double handful of spokes, hub, and rim, push the array of old mail and magazines off of the coffee table, replace with a greasy truing stand, cue up "Sunday in Hell", and get to it. In other words, go purchase that stand.

jimcav
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
are you self taught via book or youtube or did you have someone who knows how the hell to do it show you?
I bought a very well used portable trainer to use to warm up for races, and it came with the most basic trueing stand (basically just a u-shaped bracket to mount on a bench and hold the wheel--but I was never brave enough to mess with my wheels (also lucky, I've only had to take one wheel in 10 years of riding in to be trued)

thwart
12-02-2011, 01:50 PM
PS I may be weird, but find building and truing wheels to be quite relaxing. Grab a fine beverage, a double handful of spokes, hub, and rim, push the array of old mail and magazines off of the coffee table, replace with a greasy truing stand, cue up "Sunday in Hell", and get to it. In other words, go purchase that stand. I'm in that weird club, too. I enjoy it so much that I save it as a special treat to do. It's one of the best things about winter, IMHO.

I never know if those wheels seem to roll faster and ride better because of my altered perception or whether it's reality... :hello:

William
12-02-2011, 03:07 PM
are you self taught via book or youtube or did you have someone who knows how the hell to do it show you?
I bought a very well used portable trainer to use to warm up for races, and it came with the most basic trueing stand (basically just a u-shaped bracket to mount on a bench and hold the wheel--but I was never brave enough to mess with my wheels (also lucky, I've only had to take one wheel in 10 years of riding in to be trued)

Self taught out of necessity. Being a big guy who went through a period of destroying rear wheels during my early racing and training days, I needed to be able to make repairs on the fly....Or at least get the wheel manageable enough to get home after sproinking spokes on the road. No point in being stranded in the Oregon wilderness when a spoke wrench, some practice, and a little reading up can get you home.

William

DRZRM
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I got all of the suggested books (after having the stand staring at me for over a year) but found Zinn's book of road bike maintenance the easiest to apply. I had hubs, spokes and rims sitting around my basement for ages, terrified to start putting them together, but Echalon John told me it there was no magic to it (not really in his best interest, as he's built my last couple wheelsets) and I finally went ahead and built my wheels. Now I'm a few sets in, the first are still straight and true (and I'm too ashamed to post what I weight, I'd like to be 220 again).

I'm getting close to being able to do all my own wrenching, anyone have a headset press they want to sell cheap?

Really, a good tensionmeter takes all (most) of the guesswork out of it.

spdcyclist
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
You can never have enough bikes, bike parts, or bike tools... Just don't ask my wife that question.

Getting a wheel trueing stand will lead to buying a set of "practice" wheels for hoening your skills...this is the natural order of things. :)

Neves
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
that stand will pay for itself and i to like building wheels. put the kid to bed, pop in a good movie, beer and i'm set.

oldpotatoe
12-02-2011, 04:17 PM
What you talking about hoarding....I'm merely protecting a valuable and dwindling supply of cycling resources for future guardians. You have to take a hard look at yourself in the mirror and ask "if I won't, who will?"

PS I may be weird, but find building and truing wheels to be quite relaxing. Grab a fine beverage, a double handful of spokes, hub, and rim, push the array of old mail and magazines off of the coffee table, replace with a greasy truing stand, cue up "Sunday in Hell", and get to it. In other words, go purchase that stand.

Some of us who build wheels for a 'living', do too. I find wheel design and building the most rewarding thing I do. If I could just do this, I would..maybe in my next 'life'.

I learned from Mike Howard at Colley Ave bikes in Norfolk(1985)...started building my own, then for my club, then part time for a shop then......

I have Gerd's book and Jobst's but they mostly just confirmed what I had already learned from Mike.

old_fat_and_slow
12-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Since "when" do you have to "need" bike stuff, in order to buy it?

If that were true, we would all be limited to one bike, and no spare parts.

My mantra is, "if it looks cool and potentially useful, and the price is attractive," man I am all over it. Need???? phhhhhfffttt ! ! !

tiretrax
12-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Hmmmmm. I don't have one of those. Where could I put it?

zennmotion
12-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm getting close to being able to do all my own wrenching, anyone have a headset press they want to sell cheap?

Really, a good tensionmeter takes all (most) of the guesswork out of it.

A cheap headset press is as close as your nearest building center or hardware store. A short length of 1/2 inch threaded rod, a few large 1 1/2 inch washers (stack several up at each end to prevent bending) and a couple of nuts to fit the rod and you have a cheap headset press. Not as elegant or easy to use than the real thing, but if you're watchful to be sure the headset cups are going in straight it works just fine- I used mine for years before I finally was gifted a real press by a (real) friend. I still use the home made job as it's easy to transport for volunteer event wrenching- actually fixing misaligned headsets on craptastic kids department store bikes. Go slow, use grease, it works fine. I built basic 3X 32-36h wheels for years without a tensiometer as well going by feel- takes a little experience but you can build decent wheels without one with a little practise if you avoid high tension, low spoke count wheels. Any basic truing stand works fine, you don't need a Park TS2, the Minoura stands with a dish tool work fine, just a little slower. Don't be afraid to try, the tools don't substitute for basic skills.

Frankwurst
12-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Since "when" do you have to "need" bike stuff, in order to buy it?

If that were true, we would all be limited to one bike, and no spare parts.

My mantra is, "if it looks cool and potentially useful, and the price is attractive," man I am all over it. Need???? phhhhhfffttt ! ! !

You can't argue with logic like this. :beer:

djg
12-02-2011, 09:05 PM

I don't know -- no special gifts with a wrench but I took up racing my third year of college and the team had a truing stand or two, and race wheels were, like, nisi ergal rims laced to record hubs, if you were lucky, and the roads in New Hampshire were what they were, and you could true your wheels ok or your season might be over really early. Somebody showed me the basics -- a little at a time, spread over several spokes. Like the road to Carnegie Hall, only less selective -- practice, practice, practice. Frankly, some of my wheels these days seem never to need truing, but for the things that do, it's not a big deal.