PDA

View Full Version : Tires that are easier to put on

jgspin
12-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I have just gotten a wheel with a power tap and it was hard to put on a Conti 4000 tire on it. That was without rim tape. After putting on the rim tape, tire and tube, I broke a plastic tire lever trying to put the other side of the tire. I was finally able to put it on with an iron tire lever but it took some time and effort more so that I'm afraid it would be a struggle if I flat out on the road. What tires are easier to put on a wheel? What brands have a little bigger inside diameter so it's easier to install? Have you guys brought your wheel in your lbs to check out which of their tires are easy to put on?

AngryScientist
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
in my experience this is all about tolerances.

everything that is manufactured is built to some tolerance, some +/- dimension. perhaps your particular rim is at the high end of the tolerance, and the tire you were trying to install was at the low end, making a particularly difficult install. it will likely be easier to remove once it's broken-in on the rim for a while. buying any other tire would likely just be a crapshoot for better fitment.

christian
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Michelins and Vredesteins tend to fit loose. Contis are tight. Campy wheels are almost always oversized and make fitting tight tires harder.

tele
12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
throw the conti in the dryer for a few minutes and it should be a lot easier to mount.

dont let the misses be downwind however. :no:

veloduffer
12-02-2011, 01:17 PM
In addition to Michelins and Vredsteins, Schwalbe and Bontrager tires can also be put on easily. If you want a wider, touring tire - Rivendell Rolly Poly and Jackie Browns are relatively easy to mount as well.

tiretrax
12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I always found them easiest to get on and off using only my hands; Vittoria the most difficult.

DRZRM
12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
+1 for Schwalbe, generally easy to mount W/O tools.
-1 for Conti, I always find them tight when new.

rab
12-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Michelins (pro race series at least) always seem quite easy to me.
Conti are a real PITA, especially by hand without levers.

Aren't Bontrager tires made by the same Thai company that produces Vittorias?

C5 Snowboarder
12-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I have mounted Michelins and Conti - Conti being my favorite tire. on Mavic and Campy Rims... they are easy -- most of the time no tools, just a strong thumbs. I wish I could see a combo of those above that are struggling with and see how they are mounting tires. I watched a guy last year struggle and struggle and I ask him to let me try , all I did was make sure the tube was a little less inflated, put the opposite side of the tire bead into the deep part of the rim and used my thumbs to mount the tire. I gave it back to him and he stood there with a deer in the headlights look.

My basic guidline is this; the tire bead as you are starting to get resistance going over the rim - distance of these two contact points - left tire bead contact point and the right side contact point should be about 17-18 inches. My guess is the tire is not ready for the final push over if that can not be met at the start. Look elsewhere - it is not the tire - my 2.5 cents which is not worth much in this day. :beer:

thwart
12-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Campy and DT rims have a deserved rep for being at the top end of the spec for rim circumference... which means mounting new tires can be a b*tch. Once the tire has been mounted, changing a flat on the road is much easier, IME.

Campy says this is intentional... so that if you flat on a descent or a corner the tire stays on the rim. Apparently their latest models may have a slightly smaller circumference, so they may be responding to consumer preference.

This has been covered in many previous threads. Heat makes rubber more malleable and allows it to stretch a bit. I've found laying a tire in the sun is less dangerous to my marriage than using the clothes dryer.

C5 Snowboarder makes good points.

Veloplugs or synthetic/nylon rim tape (versus the thicker traditional cloth tape) both give you a bit more room, and do help.

Joachim
12-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Once the tire has been mounted, changing a flat on the road is much easier, IME.

My experience too with DT rims and Vittoria. Just installed Pave's on DT465 last night. Hard to get on, but not "breaking tire lever" hard.

foo_fighter
12-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Do you really want tires that are very easy to get on....an hence come off? Seems like it would make blow offs more likely. I too have been frustrated mounting a set of tires on occasion, but usually you can leave it partially mounted and come back to it or leave it in the sun as others have suggested and it stretches it bit. It's only the first time mounting a tire that's most difficult.

Invest in a Kool Stop Tire Jack or Var tire levers that lift the tire onto the rim and always finish mounting the tire at the stem to avoid pinching the tube.

bluesea
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Campy says this is intentional... so that if you flat on a descent or a corner the tire stays on the rim. Apparently their latest models may have a slightly smaller circumference, so they may be responding to consumer preference.

And I like that concept! The first time I installed new GP4000s on my Neutrons I thought, What's the whining? They went on with thumbs and little tweaks with one lever.

Every other tire has been a 2 lever exercise, and a challenge of technique and finger and thumb strength. Even the first bead punishes sloppiness, and when it snaps in place it does so with an audible thump, as it slides right to the middle of the inner rim. Don't even try to align the tire markings with the tube valve with one bead mounted. No way.

John M
12-03-2011, 06:16 PM
+1 for Schwalbe (I've used 23s and 28s). I gave up on Conti and Spec because of the difficulty in mounting. Easy to mount and remove with hands alone and never have had a problem holding pressure.

russ46
12-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I've been using Coni 4 Seasons lately on DA wheels & they are a real bear to mount but easy to remount. Recently I tried prestretching the spare tires on an old Easton wheel that is easier to mount on. Left them on the Easton for a couple of weeks & when I remounted them on a DA wheel it was a breeze.

crownjewelwl
12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
the tri-comps go on really easily

pdmtong
12-05-2011, 02:42 PM
first time mount for me, conti 4000s or PR3 on kysriums is often a bear, but once they set, they'll come on and off easy in the field. I carry two aluminum lenzyne tire irons since sometimes the plastic ones break in the field.

oliver1850
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
I must be the only guy here that uses wire beads.

dan682
12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Conti 4 seasons mount very easily on my Open Pro wheels. GP4000 and gatorskins on Campy Neutrons much more difficult. Once they're been on and off a couple times not so bad.

SPOKE
12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
it really helps to put some talc or baby powder on the tube and inside of the tire. And like others have said.....heat the new tire up a bit.