PDA

View Full Version : Things you'll never buy into...

Kirk Pacenti
12-02-2011, 08:00 AM
For some it's 11 speed, others electronic shifting, carbon fiber or full suspension. What about you?

For me it's 6" cycling socks. I don't care how über kool it has become to wear billboards half way to your knee, I'll just never go there.

I tried a pair once and felt like I was channeling my great-grandfather - playing bocce in the front yard, wearing his Burmudas, black dress socks and Gucci loafers... No thanks! :p

Cheers,
KP

William
12-02-2011, 08:02 AM
That Track is dead. :p

William ;) :)

AngryScientist
12-02-2011, 08:03 AM
sleeveless jerseys - i dont care how hot it gets; never.

christian
12-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Sleeveless jerseys, obvi.

Gummee
12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
I won't say 'never' but I don't quite see the need for electronical shifting, aero road frames, or tall socks (outside winter when they do well under booties) either.

Never is a VERY long time...

M

bart998
12-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I won't say 'never' but I don't quite see the need for electronical shifting, aero road frames, or tall socks (outside winter when they do well under booties) either.

Never is a VERY long time...

M

All of the above.... plus, the sleeveless jerseys... My daughter gave me a pair of the tall socks. I actually did try them on but that is as far as I got. Guess I'll just continue to be out of style and outdated. :cool:

Fixed
12-02-2011, 08:23 AM
you have to have the best equipment to win
cheers :beer:

ergott
12-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Anthing for the bike that has a good track record is fair game for me. Then again, cycling is pricing itself out of my tax bracket. There was a time when I could swing a fully loaded high end bike. Now the same level of bike I used to get would be well into the 5 figure range. Absurd. :crap:

-

redir
12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
I wore tall socks even before it was cool :banana:

Comes from hiking i guess IDK but in hiking a tall inner sock will wick moisture away.

Electronic shifting doesn't look very fun but I'm sure 20 years from now I'll be looking on Serotta Forums for a good deal on some ;)

Lovetoclimb
12-02-2011, 08:33 AM
this time last year it was cyclocross. now i am structuring my 2012 season around a successful cx campaign . . .

but I still won't purchase (buy into) SRAM!

Kontact
12-02-2011, 08:34 AM
It isn't never, but with the current level of "development", I'd say no to electronic chain shifting and disc brake road bikes - not well thought out ideas. I'm also a bit leary about $1000 carbon rims.

staggerwing
12-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Totally not digging the rolling billboard look of a many modern whips. I'm OK with subtle ID, but not the kind that can be read at 100 paces. Worse is when everything is heavily marked, stem, downtube, ubiquitous deep dish carbon wheels, tires, and everything on the rider. I'm not getting paid to go there.

This (http://www.dietrichwegner.com/work/drawing_painting/CumulousSabine&Seb.html) visual commentary by artist Dietrich Wegner if a fun commentary on the subject.

Another fun variation might be: things you thought you would never embrace, but now can't live without.

Mikej
12-02-2011, 08:36 AM
650b

FlashUNC
12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I think sleeveless jerseys are a given.

The one thing I've never been able to get behind is full leg warmers. Always been of the mind that knee warmers are a good bridge between tights and shorts, and that if its cold enough to need leg warmers, you should just be wearing tights.

Oh, and I just can't talk myself into the expense for carbon wheels. As usual, I think the limiting factor will always be my fat butt, rather that some super svelte aero hoops.

But yeah, tough to never say never. I ardently against chamois cream for years. Then found some stuff that worked. Night and day....

zap
12-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Bicycle frames made in China.

rugbysecondrow
12-02-2011, 08:51 AM
cycling caps, the ones with the dante little brims.

Leg shaving.

Both are just homosexual.

Wimpy
12-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Bicycle frames made in China.

Bicycle frames that are no better but 10X more expensive then the ones made in china.

eddief
12-02-2011, 09:03 AM
is in any way less better than ridiing with one.

Aaron O
12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
IGH (with the possible exception of Rolhoff for being able to use it with QR). I just get incredibly frustrated changing non-QR wheels and fiddling with indicator chains.

JMerring
12-02-2011, 09:08 AM
powermeters, graphite shafts in my irons and automatic transmissions.

FlashUNC
12-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Leg shaving.

Both are just G A Y

Not to start an argument, but not cool....

rwsaunders
12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Gel pads in shorts/bibs.

I bought a pair from Nashbar 15 years or so ago as I thought that this would be a great product. About 1/2 way through a 50 mile ride I stopped for some lunch and noticed that my saddle looked greasy. I then reach behind and felt a disgusting slime on my bibs. I couldn't pedal home fast enough so that I could jump out of those bibs.

eddief
12-02-2011, 09:11 AM
your shorts? :)

Gel pads in shorts/bibs.

I bought a pair from Nashbar 15 years or so ago as I thought that this would be a great product. About 1/2 way through a 50 mile ride I stopped for some lunch and noticed that my saddle looked greasy. I then reach behind and felt a disgusting slime on my bibs. I couldn't pedal home fast enough so that I could jump out of those bibs.

rugbysecondrow
12-02-2011, 09:24 AM

Sorry dude, Blue Oster Bar scene from Police Academy comes to mind whenever I see those little bitty brims. So yes, I think they look G A Y. Note, this is not disparaging anybody, it is just not a look I want to roll with.

Chance
12-02-2011, 09:28 AM
That more of something is always better.

jr59
12-02-2011, 09:34 AM
That Track is dead. :p

William's belief that he can bring forth a workable bike track to the NE! :p

rwsaunders
12-02-2011, 09:36 AM
your shorts? :)

Believe me Eddie...I had other thoughts as well! :cool:

Kirk Pacenti
12-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Another fun variation might be: things you thought you would never embrace, but now can't live without.

I never thought I would ride disc brakes or full suspension... Now I can't fathom riding without.

fourflys
12-02-2011, 09:48 AM
gotta say I can't think of anything... I don't wear sleeveless jerseys or ride a carbon bike with DI2, but it's not because I don't buy into them... I think there is a place for all of it or it wouldn't be around...

I never thought I'd ride SRAM until I actually bought a bike that had it on it and found I really like the ergos and shifting...

to Rugby- I understand what you're saying it's just the term... kind of like the word "retard"... not a big deal unless you have a kid or are close to a kid that is special needs... then the word takes on a whole new meaning...

fourflys
12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
I never thought I would ride disc brakes or full suspension... Now I can't fathom riding without.

agree on the brakes... hydro discs are so nice... not sure I couldn't live without FS the way I currently ride (tame XC stuff)... now if I was more of an AM rider then I would probably agree 100%... although I'm moving to Alaska this summer so my opinion might change, we'll see how the Superlight does... ;)

rugbysecondrow
12-02-2011, 09:53 AM
to Rugby- I understand what you're saying it's just the term... kind of like the word "retard"... not a big deal unless you have a kid or are close to a kid that is special needs... then the word takes on a whole new meaning...

I know the word is charged, I have updated my statement to not be such a Neanderthal.

Elefantino
12-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Some guy on this forum said 135 road rear ends are on the way, which means more gearing and disc brakes. So I can't not buy into that.

4Rings6Stars
12-02-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't have anything against people that use these things but they are not for me:

Mixed material frames. I'll go full carbon or full ti but mixing them gives me chills.

Leg shaving.

Power meters.

Team kits (of a team I'm not on, vintage jerseys are an exception)

EDS
12-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Leg shaving.

Homophobe much? Are you against women's rights and the abolition of slavery too?

Aaron O
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Barcons...I know some love them, but they seem awfully twitchy to me, especially with weight on the bike. I don't ride my drops much, so they just don't do it for me.

4Rings6Stars
12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Homophobe much? Are you against women's rights and the abolition of slavery too?

Oh stop. One can think something looks 'homosexual' and thus choose not to wear it without being homophobic. And what the hell does that have to do with slavery?

I have no problem with gay people and don't get the impression rugby is homophobic either but I still think some things just look gay...

People are too sensitive....

Aaron O
12-02-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't have anything against people that use these things but they are not for me:

Mixed material frames. I'll go full carbon or full ti but mixing them gives me chills.

Leg shaving.

Power meters.

Team kits (of a team I'm not on, vintage jerseys are an exception)

+1...mixing frame materials seems like mixing matter and anti-matter to me...or oil and water, cats and dogs, lugged steel frames and threadless stems, David Letterman and Cher...etc.

beeatnik
12-02-2011, 10:10 AM
this time last year it was cyclocross. now i am structuring my 2012 season around a successful cx campaign . . .

but I still won't purchase (buy into) SRAM!

Was just thinking the same thing yesterday, since I have a CX bike and a SRAM equipped bike on the way. Never thought I would own or need either.

FlashUNC
12-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I know the word is charged, I have updated my statement to not be such a Neanderthal.

Still not cool imo. Changing the word to a slightly different word doesn't change the intent of your post.

Apologies for the thread derailment, though I'll add that to the list of things I'm not going to buy into.

Aaron O
12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh stop. One can think something looks 'homosexual' and thus choose not to wear it without being homophobic. And what the hell does that have to do with slavery?

I have no problem with gay people and don't get the impression rugby is homophobic either but I still think some things just look gay...

People are too sensitive....

+1 again...

I am militantly pro-gay rights, marriage, etc. My best friend on the planet and best man at my wedding is gay...heck, I spend a significant portion of my life with gay people. I still don't want to look like a guy from the Blue Oyster bar(and neither would my gay friends).

phcollard
12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Used cycling bibs :D

beeatnik
12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Yikes, I also bought some long socks this past weekend. Damn you, Capo!

rugbysecondrow
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM

What did I say that was homophobic? I didn't disparage anybody, put them down or even say they are less of a person because of it. I didn't say nobody should or that there was anything wrong with it as a practice, just that it has a certain look and it was not for me. If you choose to sport that look, good for you, it is just not for me.

Somethings look femme, some look gay, butch etc. We can acknowledge that there are certain looks and associations with those looks without taking things to far extremes, can't we? My wife wont dress in a way that looks butch, by acknowledging that, it doesn't make her a homophobe.

We are old enough and smart enough to differentiate here folks.

BCS
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Road tubeless tires

rain dogs
12-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Things I'm not buying into:
Slamming my stem/raising my seatpost for a photo! (this is beyond the limit of Chachi-ness)
High end, high cost cycling clothing made in China (W....T....F....?)
High end bikes made in China... or the cheap rip-offs. (x2)
Chamois cream

Things I thought I'd be less likely to use and now can't live without:
Traditional, low profile, handbuilt wheels
Full carbon saddle (Friction free with none of the ass-grease!)
Road Cycling shoes with laces (DMT kyoma track's are the f-bomb if you can find em)

rain dogs
12-02-2011, 10:30 AM
What did I say ....blah blah

Dude, you're just digging yourself a hole. It was silly to say and we should all just move on. Nobody here is holding it against you, but fighting for it.....

what's the point?

Fixed
12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
+ 1 bad form
cheers

firerescuefin
12-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Big dudes with hairly legs riding custom made bikes :no:

....anyone that stills says "Oh Snap" :bike:

.....seriously:

the high priced made in China rig, passed off as some work of art

the position that there is a singularly superior material to make bikes out of

...and the high sock thing...even though the team I ride for ordered only those and I feel (less than masculine) rocking them.

rugbysecondrow
12-02-2011, 10:40 AM

Oh SNAP Geoff. :beer:

"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"...

Some folks take themselves WAY too seriously. PM me if you have an issue to discuss.

beeatnik
12-02-2011, 10:41 AM

.....seriously:

the high priced made in China rig, passed off as some work of art

the position that there is a singularly superior material to make bikes out of

...and the high sock thing...even though the team I ride for ordered only those and I feel (less than masculine) rocking them.

I drank the Kool Aid after reading this:

http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/wankmeister-cycling-clinic-1-tall-white-socks/

I'm too impressionable...

firerescuefin
12-02-2011, 10:44 AM
The only thing worse than a kit tan that starts mid ankle is one that starts halfway up your leg. :confused:

Fixed
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
compression socks

arm warmers without sleeves
cheers

veggieburger
12-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I'll never buy into:

Rapha. Not the clothing necessarily, but the image, the mystique. I'll never grow a pencil moustache and ride a narrow bar single speed while wearing my hundred dollar undershirt.

Mixed material frames. Check.

Ernesto Colnago.

Camelbacks.

:banana:

firerescuefin
12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
arm warmers without sleeves
cheers

.....that is a particularly awesome look that is hard to pull off. Instant street cred if you roll up to a ride with it :cool:

azrider
12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
you dude's just dont have the guns for sleeveless :D

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/giro03/stage3/PETACCHI_CIPOLLINI002l.jpg

ergott
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
you dude's just dont have the guns for sleeveless :D

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/giro03/stage3/PETACCHI_CIPOLLINI002l.jpg

Finer point. Those aren't sleeveless, they are rolled up. Big fashion difference.

beeatnik
12-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Finer point. Those aren't sleeveless, they are rolled up. Big fashion difference.

Exactly. When I think sleeveless I think tridorks. Those two dudes look like real riders. Haha.

No offense to the aero bar crowd.

azrider
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Touche! You're right.................a "pro" would never get caught dead in a sleevless jersey

http://www.cyclingfans.com/2009_gp_camaiore_mario_cipollini2.jpg

Joachim
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Cippo can wear whatever he wants.. He can do no wrong...

azrider
12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Cippo can wear whatever he wants.. He can do no wrong...

Ha......i used to think the same thing till i google image'd his name today. Couple of NSFW pics that were WTH

Seramount
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
guess someone has to say it...

fixed gear bikes.

witcombusa
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
For some it's 11 speed, others electronic shifting, carbon fiber or full suspension. What about you?

For me it's 6" cycling socks. I don't care how über kool it has become to wear billboards half way to your knee, I'll just never go there.

I tried a pair once and felt like I was channeling my great-grandfather - playing bocce in the front yard, wearing his Burmudas, black dress socks and Gucci loafers... No thanks! :p

Cheers,
KP

11 speed, check
10 speed, check
electronic shifting, check
carbon fiber anything, check
full suspension, check
6" socks, check

I'm with ya on the whole list! :beer:

goonster
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Touche! You're right.................a "pro" would never get caught dead in a sleevless jersey
In that photo, Cipo is an ex-pro.

neiltron
12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I think Cipo is so ostentatious he gets a pass for nearly anything he does...

Joachim
12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Ha......i used to think the same thing till i google image'd his name today. Couple of NSFW pics that were WTH

Except for those. I block them from my memory. They don't exist.

Bob Ross
12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
The one thing I've never been able to get behind is full leg warmers. Always been of the mind that knee warmers are a good bridge between tights and shorts, and that if its cold enough to need leg warmers, you should just be wearing tights.

Meh...no.
Firstly, I hate both knee warmers and leg warmers. That elastic squeezing my thighs (er, I mean "massive guads") is just annoying. But, if one accepts that shortcoming, then the appeal of leg warmers over tights is exactly the same as the (only, imho) appeal of knee warmers over knickers:

You can take them off mid-ride.

William
12-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't have an issue with sleeveless jerseys (like Cipo is sporting) riding on a hot summer day..... as long as you've got the guns to back it up. Broom stick arms? :no:

aLexis
12-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Your statement is still awkward, bordering on offensive.

JStonebarger
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
powermeters...

+1.

Aaron O
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
650b rims (on anything but my tandem).

EDS
12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
What did I say that was homophobic? I didn't disparage anybody, put them down or even say they are less of a person because of it. I didn't say nobody should or that there was anything wrong with it as a practice, just that it has a certain look and it was not for me. If you choose to sport that look, good for you, it is just not for me.

Somethings look femme, some look gay, butch etc. We can acknowledge that there are certain looks and associations with those looks without taking things to far extremes, can't we? My wife wont dress in a way that looks butch, by acknowledging that, it doesn't make her a homophobe.

We are old enough and smart enough to differentiate here folks.

What does "gay" look like?

We should be old enough and smart enough to (i) understand what constitutes offensive language and (ii) step into the 21st century.

4Rings6Stars
12-02-2011, 01:12 PM
The 21st century is full of people who get worked up too easily over three letters. The world is so sensitive. Lighten up!

Louis ck has a hilarious sketch about using the word gay (and I think f****t) without any malice or homophobia. I would post a link but that's. Pita to do from my phone.

It's cliche to say this as a defense, I know, but I have some very good friends who are gay (not tall sock gay but homosexual) and they are on board with me 100%.

People that freak out about semantics are making it far worse IMHO.

pavel
12-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Hey, I'm not racist, I totally have a black friend!

Guess what buddy, you're not Louis CK.

veggieburger
12-02-2011, 01:16 PM
I agree...one other thing I'll never buy into is this extreme political correctness I see so often. It has swung to the point of being rediculous.

beeatnik
12-02-2011, 01:17 PM
And notice the clever editing on this video:

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-rides-oslo-film/?cm_mmc=email-_-021211-_-textlink-_-rapharidesoslo

So, to further stay on topic, I'll never buy into riding without a helmet in the city. Only time I want to go helmetless is when my head is exploding from heat on climbs. But I have a big head.. :crap:

rugbysecondrow
12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
The 21st century is full of people who get worked up too easily over three letters. The world is so sensitive. Lighten up!

Louis ck has a hilarious sketch about using the word gay (and I think f****t) without any malice or homophobia. I would post a link but that's. Pita to do from my phone.

It's cliche to say this as a defense, I know, but I have some very good friends who are gay (not tall sock gay but homosexual) and they are on board with me 100%.

People that freak out about semantics are making it far worse IMHO.

Seriously. It is not cliche at all. In the modern world we live in, we all interact with, work with, befriend, employ and are related to gay people. If I had to tiptoe as much as EDS and others would want me to, that would just not be reality. I have to say, I got a good chuckle when one of my gay friends tells one of my straight friends how gay he is acting...in other words, LIGHTEN UP.

Of course, if somebody is looking to be offended, then they will find offense everywhere. I can't control that and it is their issue to deal with.

EDS and others, just PM me if you want to whine and complain.

biker72
12-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Electronic shifting.
$10k carbon sub 13 pound bikes.
Three letters that get me worked up....PSA.... :)

DRZRM
12-02-2011, 01:51 PM

Leg shaving.

EDS and others, just PM me if you want to whine and complain.

Hey Rugbysecondrow, you don't get to dictate that people's responses to your language on a public forum should be private. Certainly not as long as you chose to leave your statement up.

By using the term gay or homosexual to describe an overall fashion statement used by a narrow subset of a population (both leatherbar and cycling hats fit into this catagory) you are essentializing a large and diverse community into stereotypes. Using the term gay is not the problem, using a broad term to pick out aspects of a culture/community is, especially as a "joke." That gay people use the same language is entirely their right. That they let you use it in their company is their choice, and not one I'd critique any of them for. That you think their personal decisions based on your friendship with them gives you license to use it in a public forum, and that you and veggieburger are getting defensive about perfectly reasonable critiques of that bad decision do to so as "extreme political correctness" is the problem.

Here is your link, though its got some racy language and may not be SFW.

Poker scene from Louis (http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/451w)

That you'd say this scene lacks "malice or homophobia" is...kind of surprising. Maybe you meant another scene.

Louis CK's show is one of the most thoughtful and cutting edge shows on TV. His comedy turns a lot of people off, but he is clearly pushing boundaries trying to get people to think about the impact of what they say.

Rugbysecondrow's use on the other hand is unnecessary and if not entirely offensive, seemed like it was going to offend more people than it amused.

Oh yeah, I really can't see myself using electronic shifting or a power meter, but I once thought 9 speed and STI was unnecessary, so ask me again in 10 years.

sg8357
12-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Factory built wheels
Cottered cranks
Ti railed Brooks saddles
Rear hubs that make buzzy noises when coasting.
Bikes covered with dozens logos.
Non-Nitto stems and handlebars. (excepting re-enactor bikes using GB bits)

witcombusa
12-02-2011, 02:10 PM
All this PC crap....you ALL need to lighten up already....go ride your bikes

veggieburger
12-02-2011, 02:18 PM
"By using the term gay or homosexual to describe an overall fashion statement used by a narrow subset of a population (both leatherbar and cycling hats fit into this catagory) you are essentializing a large and diverse community into stereotypes. Using the term gay is not the problem, using a broad term to pick out aspects of a culture/community is, especially as a "joke." That gay people use the same language is entirely their right. That they let you use it in their company is their choice, and not one I'd critique any of them for."

Riiiight, but there's nothing wrong with that. Dutch people are cheap. Scottish men wear kilts. Black people like grape soda. Indians like picnics and are great dancers. White folk can't jump and have no rythm. Gay men over-articulate, walk funny and occasionally wear leather. Dykes have bad hair. All stereotypes, but we can all laught at each other, shake hands and move on.

Joachim
12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I guess the bigger question is.... when do forumites start getting cranky due to lack of riding? :beer:

Ken C
12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
35 MM handlebars. 31.8 is plenty big enough.

SamIAm
12-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Political correctness has become so tiresome.

soulspinner
12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Aint riding without gloves, dont need 35 mm bars, dont need 200 dollar jerseys............................... :bike:

aLexis
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Political correctness has become so tiresome.

You are right, it is tiresome. So is homophobia.

They both suck, so while you are thinking about which one sucks more, watch a video of a short fat asian woman making fun of a flaming fagg*t fanning the flames of his fagg*try. (Margaret Cho's take on Karl Lagerfeld)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w8IfeZLqRg

BumbleBeeDave
12-02-2011, 03:05 PM
3.You warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

4.Respect toward fellow members is expected. You agree not to harass, flame, insult, taunt, or otherwise disrespect any member of this forum. In other words, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

With many thousands of members on this forum, it could reasonably be inferred, I think, that some of them will be gay and will consider use of this stereotype either hateful or insulting. Same for numerous other racial, poliitical, ethinc, and other sterotypes.

Please keep in mind that simply considering the potential of what you say to offend others before you say it in public is not "political correctness." It's just being a nice, caring person.

Why not just avoid stereotypes in this PUBLIC place and let's get back to talking about bike stuff.

Please. Thanks.

BBD

Climb01742
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
deriding 'political correctness' is easier when the slur is directed at someone else. humanity is understanding someone else's hurt when it isn't your own.

SamIAm
12-02-2011, 03:14 PM
You are right, it is tiresome. So is homophobia.

They both suck, so while you are thinking about which one sucks more, watch a video of a short fat asian woman making fun of a flaming fagg*t fanning the flames of his fagg*try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w8IfeZLqRg

I don't think I have to choose between PC and homophobia. PC doesn't fix homophobia and I think we all know that Rugby's comments weren't homophobic.

David Kirk
12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
deriding 'political correctness' is easier when the slur is directed at someone else. humanity is understanding someone else's hurt when it isn't your own.

Thank you.

Dave

SamIAm
12-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Well on topic:

I will never buy into Shimano or SRAM.
I will never buy factory built wheels.
Apparently, I will never buy a Serotta CSI (but I would if I could)
I will never be able to afford a Serotta Legend (but I would like one)
I will never buy into the "dropped top tube"

aLexis
12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't think I have to choose between PC and homophobia. PC doesn't fix homophobia and I think we all know that Rugby's comments weren't homophobic.

I disagree. And I think pulling the PC card is a cop out. I like Louis CK, he cracks me up (since that seems to be the barometer). But as a gay person, reading rugby's comments, I thought to myself, wow, this guy is really afraid of anyone thinking he is gay. And his wife is apparently afraid of anyone thinking she is butch. I am not hurt or offended, as I don't know the guy, but I don't think there is anything wrong with letting someone know that maybe their comments were just a little over the top.

It is one thing to say that you don't care for leg shaving or cycling caps, but it goes a little further to say that the reason you don't like them is because they are "G A Y" or homosexual. Why would that be a reason not to like something?

Anyways, my intention is not to make a big deal out of this. Next time I am in Maryland, I will look him up and go have a beer with him (at a straight bar ;)).

jerome
12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Sleeveless jersey for sure will feel naked
Electric shifting = cycling s about freedom no more cable no leech

and ...

a Chinese bicycle

BumbleBeeDave
12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
. . . to the big lock.

Please take this offline and let's get back on topic or I will lock it up. That would be ufortunate, since except for this dispute it's a pretty interesting thread.

BTW, I like sleeveless jerseys . . . ;)

BBD

William
12-02-2011, 03:26 PM
. . .

BBD

BBDave's got some guns!!! :D

BTW, we're not afraid to show off our Big Guns!!! :D

William

Wimpy
12-02-2011, 03:29 PM
What does "gay" look like?

We should be old enough and smart enough to (i) understand what constitutes offensive language and (ii) step into the 21st century.

If he had said that he does not want to look like a flaming homosexual would that have been more or less offensive?

It is true that some gay people dress and act in a way that makes them easily identifiable. There is nothing wrong with that but there is also nothing wrong with pointing it out.

I agree...one other thing I'll never buy into is this extreme political correctness I see so often. It has swung to the point of being rediculous.

Especially on this forum. What kind of men are you people?

Wimpy
12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
. .

BBD

It figures

pavel
12-02-2011, 03:33 PM
lock

William
12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
.....Big screen t.v.'s in the bedroom.

http://www.freemusicalecards.com/judy-garland/miss-gulch-on-her-bicycle-then-becomes-a-witch-riding-a-broomstick.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
This one's done.

BBD